Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Well, my cyrillic skills are not exactly sharp, but doesn't that tower say "Roscosmos"?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
No idea of the place but that looks a lot like some sort of radar tracking system.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, my cyrillic skills are not exactly sharp, but doesn't that tower say "Roscosmos"?

Which doesn't tell you jack about where it is...

I have no clue either. But I'm sure the camel is just supposed to lead the guesser astray...

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Hint: You all know it's name.

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
No. It's fuzzy, at least in the .cfg file. I was a bit amazed too when I tried to search for it in the config with Ctrl-F and it said no matches. It looks like a misspelling which was later adopted by most forum members:

Code:
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Enable or disable the fuzzy dice in the VC 
#
#   0 = fuzzy dice disabled  (default)
#   1 = fuzzy dice enabled
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
EnableFuzzyDice=1

deltawing777

Reaction score
Website
omp.dyndns-server.com
So is a atom really just a micro solar system with the nucleus of the atom being its sun? If I could shrink myself small enough to vist one of the rotating electrons, I wonder what I would see

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

So by setting off say a hydrogen bomb are we creating a micro "Big bang" like what formed our own universe? Or would it be more like a gamma ray burst? Or just a simple exploding star?

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Re: micro Solar System - look up Valery Bryusov:
Быть может, эти электроны -
Миры, где пять материков,
Искусства, знанья, войны, троны
И память сорока веков!

(Perchance, these electrons are
Just the worlds with five continents
With art, and knowledge, wars and thrones,
And memory of forty centuries)

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So is a atom really just a micro solar system with the nucleus of the atom being its sun? If I could shrink myself small enough to vist one of the rotating electrons, I wonder what I would see

Not much... The commonly used atom model does deceptively look like a planetary system, but it is a gross simplyfication so your imagination can get a better grasp of it.

The electrons don't have nicely organised orbital paths around the core. They zoom around it in quite chaotic patterns, at ludicrous speeds. The atomic forces holding the whole thing together are much stronger than gravity (proportionally) but don't reach very far, so we don't feel them outside the atomic level.

Also, how the atom effectively looks is depending on the material. Metals, for example, don't have any organised pattern of electrons around their cores at all. It's more like a giant cloud with electrons whizzing from atom to atom through the whole bloody molecule. Shoot an electron in on one side, and another one flies out the other end. That's why metals are so good conductors.

So no, imagining atoms as miniature planetary systems is missing reality by quite a stretch.

deltawing777

Reaction score
Website
omp.dyndns-server.com
Wow! I looked up Быть может, эти электроны google translated it very cool reading thank you for the info :thumbup:

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

Not much... The commonly used atom model does deceptively look like a planetary system, but it is a gross simplyfication so your imagination can get a better grasp of it.

The electrons don't have nicely organised orbital paths around the core. They zoom around it in quite chaotic patterns, at ludicrous speeds. The atomic forces holding the whole thing together are much stronger than gravity (proportionally) but don't reach very far, so we don't feel them outside the atomic level.

Also, how the atom effectively looks is depending on the material. Metals, for example, don't have any organised pattern of electrons around their cores at all. It's more like a giant cloud with electrons whizzing from atom to atom through the whole bloody molecule. Shoot an electron in on one side, and another one flies out the other end. That's why metals are so good conductors.

So no, imagining atoms as miniature planetary systems is missing reality by quite a stretch.
Thank you for clearing that up for me :tiphat:
:hailprobe:

bobintexas

Reaction score
OMP

Hi, I am very new to Orbiter Forum, and with OMP. I have successfully downloaded and installed OMP, but I have no idea on how to get connected to a server that me and my friend can play on together. So, if somebody could give me a very simple, step by step tutorial on this, I would be very great full.

Thanks,
bobintexas

Sar

Reaction score
Oh god no. rule 34 + nasa. I did not know dragons could do that.

deltawing777

Reaction score
Website
omp.dyndns-server.com
Hi, I am very new to Orbiter Forum, and with OMP. I have successfully downloaded and installed OMP, but I have no idea on how to get connected to a server that me and my friend can play on together. So, if somebody could give me a very simple, step by step tutorial on this, I would be very great full.

Thanks,
bobintexas
bobintexas orbiter multiplayer does work using the orbiter2006 version. You will have to host your own server.Not sure if the public server is up or not. I dont think it is. Dont expect to much from it as it is still a work in
progress. To get started I recommend this thread for setting it up
http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=11337
And this for setting up a server
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=11647
Good luck

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Star Trek Voyager really goes on my nerves at times. Yesterday, I saw an episode where they attempted, and even managed, to breach the "Warp threshold" (Warp 10) which should theoretically allow for instantaneous travel anywhere in the universe. (actually for being at every place in the universe at the same time, which is about what should already happen if you'd breach the speed of light)

So, thir tramp crew makes actually the biggest discovery in human history since the invention of the Warp Drive, and what do the script writers do with it? Those making the flight evolve a few billion years within a day and turn to... amphibious lizards?? wtf? And of course they're able to reverse the process with seemingly easy means, and STILL don't use the bloody thing to finally get home. What kind of a hole must a script writer have in his head to drill such gigantic plot holes into his story? I'm not asking them to go study physics, but this is just completely illogical!

Oh yes, and their on-board traitor is busily making reports to the Kazon about this, although after the first experiment it looks like they really could get home in foreseeable time. Obviously, in the 24. century, logical reasoning isn't a discipline that gets taught a lot...

Last edited:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Head over to youtube and search for Voyager Threshold review. Enjoy :lol: