Humor Random Comments Thread

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
41 years earlier ...

Apollo17WorldReversed.jpg

View of the Earth as seen by the Apollo 17 crew traveling toward the moon. This translunar coast photograph extends from the Mediterranean Sea area to the Antarctica south polar ice cap. This is the first time the Apollo trajectory made it possible to photograph the south polar ice cap. Note the heavy cloud cover in the Southern Hemisphere. Almost the entire coastline of Africa is clearly visible. The Arabian Peninsula can be seen at the northeastern edge of Africa. The large island off the coast of Africa is the Malagasy Republic. The Asian mainland is on the horizon toward the northeast.

Last edited:

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
No darts, knife... possibly some old story about a winter war...

Grudge-holding like this, they should have placed a Soviet flag there. Russia per se has never... oh, wait! [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_War"]Finnish war[/ame].

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Which took place ~140 years before the particular war in question...before Finland was even a Sovereign Nation.

Now knock it off before we get chucked into the basement again.

MattBaker

Reaction score
Now knock it off before we get chucked into the basement again.

History is not politics. History isn't religion.
As long as we wonder "Which war made Finland have a grudge on a Russia with that flag?" instead of "Was Mannerheim a national hero or a right-wing scumbag?" or "Does the difference in Orthodox and Lutheran theology play a role in conflicts between Finland and Russia?" I see no reason why this should happen.

Well, now there's a reason.:tiphat:

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Also, don't forget from whom their independence is.

What I find funny about the whole ordeal is Stalin being Stalin purged a great deal of his experienced officers, and only being left with very few 'good' officers and a bunch of new guys who hadn't commanded a single battle he thought 'Nah, we can totally take the Finns. What's that? Pfft, yeah, like the Germans would ever attack us! We signed a pact!'

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
What I find funny about the whole ordeal is Stalin being Stalin purged a great deal of his experienced officers, and only being left with very few 'good' officers and a bunch of new guys who hadn't commanded a single battle he thought 'Nah, we can totally take the Finns. What's that? Pfft, yeah, like the Germans would ever attack us! We signed a pact!'

You have the luxury to be able to find it funny at least...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You have the luxury to be able to find it funny at least...

Well, funny is maybe the wrong term there. but it really makes you wonder why such a guy was in power and not murdered on the first day.

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
By the way, why murder Stalin? He was a strong leader and he never said he's a bloody maniac and is going to kill everybody around him just for lulz. When it became obvious it was already too late.

The Winter War situation is looking funny only when taken retrospectively too. Every Stalin's step was logical for him - maybe it was weird logic, after all.

MattBaker

Reaction score
And everyone else are great at electing the wrong people. :facepalm:

Russians are good at that, too. They even have the comfort of only having to elect the wrong guy once and carry on with...Russian stuff.
So, drinking and driving as if they're drunk. Oh, wait...

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
The Winter War situation is looking funny only when taken retrospectively too. Every Stalin's step was logical for him - maybe it was weird logic, after all.

How is imprisoning most of your Officer Corps for not being loyal enough, then going to war with a rather deeply entrenched nation, while under the threat of annihilation from the Germans logical? All the Winter War did was kill people who would have been useful in the defense of Russia, and could have made the Siege of Stalingrad a lot less painful, however it did give the world an awesome name for a fire bomb :D

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Random comment is random.

Also, I need to take this up with the management at Home Depot...
QxjjQkq.jpg

WE MUST SELL THIS!!!!!

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
31tL5rWbWGL._SY300_.jpg

Excuse me, I need to call the Duck Dynasty folks...

MattBaker

Reaction score
All the Winter War did was kill people who would have been useful in the defense of Russia, and could have made the Siege of Stalingrad a lot less painful

23rd of August '39: Treaty between Germany and the Soviet Union. Included neutrality during wars with other guys and cleary defined Finland as Soviet influence zone (i.e. do with them what you like, I don't give a damn)
1st of September '39: Germans attack Poland and are in war with the UK and two days later with France, beginning an exhaustive war for the Germans on the Western Front
17th of September '39: Soviets attack Eastern Poland and are done faster than a microwave dish. Something like 1% of all Soviet soldiers are KIA or WIA.

Yeah, after that I totally knew that
A) my military is actually not that great and will have huge trouble invading a rather small country. Finland had 3.5 million citizens back then, that's something like Oregon today
B) The guys engaged in a war against Great Britain on air and sea and somewhere in Africa on land are going to attack you.

Stalin slept long in on the 22nd of June '41 because everyone was scared as hell to tell the Red Tsar that the Germans attacked and have already bombed cities like Kiev or Minsk. I think this shows quite well that even in June '41 no one really thought an attack is imminent. And then why should they in November '39?

Just because in retrospect it seems obvious and logical it didn't present itself like that back then.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
17th of September '39: Soviets attack Eastern Poland and are done faster than a microwave dish. Something like 1% of all Soviet soldiers are KIA or WIA.

After the polnish army had been effectively gone.

Also, not even the purge explains the errors done by the big guys including Stalin during the first days - Most losses of the USSR happened during the first few weeks of the war and had been extremely grave. Still people had been pushed with the wrong equipment into the wrong war. The Soviets entered Finland with green helmets and green uniforms - and never changed it.