Humor Random Comments Thread

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Since this is philosophy, I would assume they are not looking for "the correct answer". A good answer should probably consist of arguing your own oppinion using lots of semantics and ubiquitous quoting and confirming/refuting of renowned past philosophers.

If you'd get an F because "this was not the answer we're looking for", it would be a terrible philosophy exam.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Since this is philosophy, I would assume they are not looking for "the correct answer". A good answer should probably consist of arguing your own oppinion using lots of semantics and ubiquitous quoting and confirming/refuting of renowned past philosophers.

If you'd get an F because "this was not the answer we're looking for", it would be a terrible philosophy exam.

Oh this is not what I meant (of course the typical Hong Kong student would find it difficult because of just that) - it's just that given my ability I probably would only be able to write a pretty short analysis out of that and I probably would walk out of the exam venue after half of the given time. :rofl:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Playing too much KSP, nearly always I misread jedidia's name as "Jebediah"...

Who has never played KSP... :lol:
Seriously though, Jedidia and Jebediah are two versions of the same name. I'm not sure how the original hebrew would be spelled, really.

it's just that given my ability I probably would only be able to write a pretty short analysis out of that and I probably would walk out of the exam venue after half of the given time.

Oh, I could write for days on almost any of these topics, but I wouldn't have the neccessary reference material handy to fortify my argument with big names... :shifty:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
No kidding.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedediah

• Does an artwork always have a meaning?
  • Is politics free from a requirement of truthfulness?
  • Is respecting all living beings a moral duty?
  • Am I what my past has made of me?
  • Is the mind of an individual nothing but a reflection of the society of which he is a part?
  • Does the artist give something to understand?

• Nope.
  • Yep.
  • Eh.
  • Yeah.
  • Hm...
  • Huh?

MattBaker

Reaction score
Is respecting all living beings a moral duty?

Yes and actually the easiest to argue and write a lot about in my opinion, regardless of if you start it from a religious standpoint or just plain "empathy is kinda cool, mhmkay?"

Is the mind of an individual nothing but a reflection of the society of which he is a part?

Yes and quite possible to argue as well, comparing different "values" or attitudes in different societies, a person raised in rural China will probably be very different than if that person was raised in Amsterdam.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My previous laptop was a hand-me-down Thinkpad x130e that really got me hooked on thinkpads. It died on me in the middle of exams this last year, which was a pain in the ass, but oh well.

My boss swore by a small shop called Bauer systems group in Burlington that refurbishes and resells business machines. I took a look at their site and decided to go with something very light and portable, and not too expensive.

9MS6GZR.jpg

I ordered a Thinkpad x60s, which hilariously enough still has the IBM logo on it.

MWkoeue.jpg

It didnt come with an OS, and the hard drive is only 40 GB (40 GB?), but I was able to load Lubuntu on to it without any snags, & the machine runs quite fast for a core duo with only 2 gigs of ram.

Total cost for the new machine: 65$ including shipping and taxes :hotcool:

If anyone in Ontario or the states nearby is looking for a machine, I highly reccomend checking these guys out.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
If the only thing I have motivation to do anymore is work, why do I work so hard?

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
The Steam sale encore is happening now, so if there's anything you were holding out for, I'd buy it now.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The Steam sale encore is happening now, so if there's anything you were holding out for, I'd buy it now.

I think I have everything I wanted right now ... bad luck that I failed securing a season ticket for the VfL Wolfsburg... good luck for steam.

But well, the Witcher series seems to be somewhat of good... maybe I will secure it for later...

(Sorry to disappoint some here... I am not playing the Simulator Simulator 2015 series)

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Another one for the "what-the-heck-is-THAT?!" file:

The NASA AD-1 Oblique Wing craft:
800px-AD-1_ObliqueWing_60deg_19800701.jpg

I remember that being in magazines back in the day.

I had a feeling it would never go anywhere, at least not with the USAF. The USAF only likes to fly planes that look cool. If it's ugly, they aren't interested.

The US Navy, on the other hand, they're more adaptable to ugly planes as long as they're functional, as the Intruder/Prowler family demonstrates.

Of course, this was just a NASA research project. A cool one at that.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The US Navy, on the other hand, they're more adaptable to ugly planes as long as they're functional, as the Intruder/Prowler family demonstrates.

Still, remember the flying Dorito....

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Severe geomagnetic storm in progress!
I hope some fortunate northern orbinauts can get some cool aurora pics. Aurora visibility could reach well into the mid-latitudes as well.

Characteristics of a G-4 storm
---------------------------------------------
Power systems: possible widespread voltage control problems and some protective systems will mistakenly trip out key assets from the grid.

Spacecraft operations: may experience surface charging and tracking problems, corrections may be needed for orientation problems.

Other systems: induced pipeline currents affect preventive measures, HF radio propagation sporadic, satellite navigation degraded for hours, low-frequency radio navigation disrupted, and aurora has been seen as low as Alabama and northern California (typically 45° geomagnetic lat.)**.

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

Combined with the close conjunction of Venus and Jupiter, as well as prime visibility of Saturn, not to mention the season finale(?) of StarTalk on NatGeo, tonight's an amazing night for astronomy!

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Severe geomagnetic storm in progress!
I hope some fortunate northern orbinauts can get some cool aurora pics. Aurora visibility could reach well into the mid-latitudes as well.

Characteristics of a G-4 storm
---------------------------------------------
Power systems: possible widespread voltage control problems and some protective systems will mistakenly trip out key assets from the grid.

Spacecraft operations: may experience surface charging and tracking problems, corrections may be needed for orientation problems.

Other systems: induced pipeline currents affect preventive measures, HF radio propagation sporadic, satellite navigation degraded for hours, low-frequency radio navigation disrupted, and aurora has been seen as low as Alabama and northern California (typically 45° geomagnetic lat.)**.

Not likely to be visible in NorCal. The local magnetic field variation around here tends to shunt stuff way up north. Washington, though, should have a good view.