Humor Random Comments Thread

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Even with last year's winter we had a relatively dry year here in Massachusetts. That's nice in that the mosquitoes and ticks didn't have a good year, but bad in that our reservoirs are lower than they should be this time of year. Hopefully we'll get some good spring rains vs. mountains of snow.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Even with last year's winter we had a relatively dry year here in Massachusetts. That's nice in that the mosquitoes and ticks didn't have a good year, but bad in that our reservoirs are lower than they should be this time of year. Hopefully we'll get some good spring rains vs. mountains of snow.

See, I'm a Californian by birth and childhood. Snowfall always is a good thing, as that's what builds up the water reserves for the summers. Rain is a bad thing, as it doesn't provide long-term water.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
See, I'm a Californian by birth and childhood. Snowfall always is a good thing, as that's what builds up the water reserves for the summers. Rain is a bad thing, as it doesn't provide long-term water.

Yeah, I hear you. I follow the hydropower scene and know the snowpacks disappeared in a lot of areas out there.

---------- Post added 01-24-16 at 10:02 AM ---------- Previous post was 01-23-16 at 11:03 PM ----------

My neighbor is a bit of a tinkerer and seems to like how complex machines magically make extra parts when you take them apart and reassemble them. He has been running his snowblower all morning trying to clear a 10 ft by 30 ft driveway of 6 inches of powder. I think the operating principle of his snowblower is it burn enough gas to cause global warming to get the snow to melt faster, because every time he attempts to push it into snow it simply stalls out. He's going to give himself and the neighborhood carbon monoxide poisoning if he keeps it up.

My wife and I cleared our driveway in 10 minutes with shovels. :huh:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
My neighbor is a bit of a tinkerer and seems to like how complex machines magically make extra parts when you take them apart and reassemble them. He has been running his snowblower all morning trying to clear a 10 ft by 30 ft driveway of 6 inches of powder. I think the operating principle of his snowblower is it burn enough gas to cause global warming to get the snow to melt faster, because every time he attempts to push it into snow it simply stalls out. He's going to give himself and the neighborhood carbon monoxide poisoning if he keeps it up.

My wife and I cleared our driveway in 10 minutes with shovels. :huh:

When I had to clear a very large area during medium snow fall (resulting in 3 cm snow on the end I started, when I finished at the other end) , I wondered if it would not be easier to build a robot for that task.... like a bucket-wheel excavator with a 50 meter conveyor belt to get the snow directly to the other end of the property...

Work had been pretty nasty that winter, because after the third day, just pushing the snow on a large heap at the side of the road did not work any more, so we needed to use a wheelbarrow for transporting the snow further away to the river...

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Usually snow-talk here would only lead to me chuckling about the definition of "cold" in this side of the world....

....but not this time. We just had sleet raining down today in HK with temps dropping to 2°C (mid-30s for the Americans), breaking a 60 years old record with chances of dropping even lower this night (hard to break the below freezing record of 1883 though). Remember, almost every home here don't have any central heating or double-glazed windows. :shifty:

People actually rushed to the highest hill here (at almost 1000 m elevation, temps are at -5°C) to see sub-tropical ice and frost and caused a traffic jam at midnight.....plus accidents with surprised people falling over iced over roads there. #ProblemsOnlySeenInSubTropicalLatitudes :uhh:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'll take the cold over sweating and bugs. But I like my cold weather with bright sunlight. You can keep the snow. An inch or so now and then is fine, but this blizzard stuff not so much.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
We often get sleet and black ice in early winter and early spring. Even here I do what I can to stay off the roads until everybody remembers that the stopping distance of their vehicles exceeds the distance to the bumper in front of them. After the first ice event about 95% of the people get the hint. The remaining 5% have poor memories and will spin the car into a ditch or into a crash every snow event for the rest of the season. These are usually the same people who will skid off the road during a hard rainstorm in summer.

Some people simply should not have licenses to drive.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
We often get sleet and black ice in early winter and early spring. Even here I do what I can to stay off the roads until everybody remembers that the stopping distance of their vehicles exceeds the distance to the bumper in front of them. After the first ice event about 95% of the people get the hint. The remaining 5% have poor memories and will spin the car into a ditch or into a crash every snow event for the rest of the season. These are usually the same people who will skid off the road during a hard rainstorm in summer.

Some people simply should not have licenses to drive.

I observe the same. Generally it is also those people who think that all-year wheels are a good replacement for proper winter tires and all-year tires allow you to drive at the same speed as on a dry summer day.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
People actually rushed to the highest hill here
Ironic - you rush to look at the ice, and when you see it, you can no longer stop.
Someone should rake some serious profits from making ice slides - a waterhose and a sub-zero weather is all it would take.

until everybody remembers that the stopping distance of their vehicles exceeds the distance to the bumper in front of them
Same here, but mostly because people tend to wait on swapping the tires until the last possible moment.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well driving won't be a problem for me for a while...the snow is above the bumper of my truck and we haven't seen a hint of a plow yet. So my truck is nice and clear but it ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well driving won't be a problem for me for a while...the snow is above the bumper of my truck and we haven't seen a hint of a plow yet. So my truck is nice and clear but it ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

Don't make the error of the guy, who blew up his trucks engine by trying to get out of the snow by brute force. :lol:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score

And as soon as the plow passes and clears the street you'll have a 4 ft wall of snow at the end of your driveway.

The blue sky and bright sunshine reflecting off the snow really does something for the mood. It almost makes you forget that the sun still sets before 5 pm these days. We have a heat wave coming this week, 40F and some rain.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
And as soon as the plow passes and clears the street you'll have a 4 ft wall of snow at the end of your driveway.

The blue sky and bright sunshine reflecting off the snow really does something for the mood. It almost makes you forget that the sun still sets before 5 pm these days. We have a heat wave coming this week, 40F and some rain.

Yes, and yes. The sun is so good to see. Helps with the cabin fever.

I'm not worried about the four foot wall of snow. Compared to all the shoveling I've done in the last few hours that won't be too bad.

I might not make it to work tomorrow, though.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Could you please send some of that "snow" thing you have there over the pond?

It's free, but you've got to come pick it up yourself. There's a six pack of beer in it for you, even.:cheers:

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

AKA Imperial Officer Speak

I always found it interesting that the Imperial officers have British accents but the enlisted Stormtroopers have North American accents. As do most of the rebels.

Then again, everyone knows that in the Roman Empire they all had British accents, too.

And then there's this:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Could you please send some of that "snow" thing you have there over the pond?
Are you sure you really want that?
You might have to exit from the third storey's window.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Well, some of it, make that 30-50cm of snow or so, not a Siberian boatload :)

50 cm was probably the most I've ever seen here, and practically nothing these past few years.