Humor Random Comments Thread

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
After hours and hours of creating fictional address-concepts in school, I got the very definitive impression that a DHCP server can be configured to assign IPs from certain ranges to certain groups of clients (like printers, workstations, etc) without reserving every single one individually.
After a very short practical block that didn't exactly answer many questions, and an hour of googling, I get the distinct impression that this isn't possible in Win 2008. Can somebody confirm or deny that? because if that is true, then I'm somewhat at a loss what the entire address-concept is good for, when the only otions are either statically reserving every single IP or let the DHCP happily give out whatever ip it wants, completely oblivious of the bloody concept.
I'm pished and about ready to set my school on fire by now.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
After hours and hours of creating fictional address-concepts in school, I got the very definitive impression that a DHCP server can be configured to assign IPs from certain ranges to certain groups of clients (like printers, workstations, etc) without reserving every single one individually.
After a very short practical block that didn't exactly answer many questions, and an hour of googling, I get the distinct impression that this isn't possible in Win 2008. Can somebody confirm or deny that? because if that is true, then I'm somewhat at a loss what the entire address-concept is good for, when the only otions are either statically reserving every single IP or let the DHCP happily give out whatever ip it wants, completely oblivious of the bloody concept.
I'm pished and about ready to set my school on fire by now.

http://linux.die.net/man/5/dhcpd.conf

Client Classing

Clients can be separated into classes, and treated differently depending on what class they are in. This separation can be done either with a conditional statement, or with a match statement within the class declaration. It is possible to specify a limit on the total number of clients within a particular class or subclass that may hold leases at one time, and it is possible to specify automatic subclassing based on the contents of the client packet.

To add clients to classes based on conditional evaluation, you can specify a matching expression in the class statement:

class "ras-clients" {
match if substring (option dhcp-client-identifier, 1, 3) = "RAS";
}
Note that whether you use matching expressions or add statements (or both) to classify clients, you must always write a class declaration for any class that you use. If there will be no match statement and no in-scope statements for a class, the declaration should look like this:
class "ras-clients" {
}

Subclasses

In addition to classes, it is possible to declare subclasses. A subclass is a class with the same name as a regular class, but with a specific submatch expression which is hashed for quick matching. This is essentially a speed hack - the main difference between five classes with match expressions and one class with five subclasses is that it will be quicker to find the subclasses. Subclasses work as follows:

class "allocation-class-1" {
match pick-first-value (option dhcp-client-identifier, hardware);
}

class "allocation-class-2" {
match pick-first-value (option dhcp-client-identifier, hardware);
}

subclass "allocation-class-1" 1:8:0:2b:4c:39:ad;
subclass "allocation-class-2" 1:8:0:2b:a9:cc:e3;
subclass "allocation-class-1" 1:0:0:c4:aa:29:44;

subnet 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
pool {
allow members of "allocation-class-1";
range 10.0.0.11 10.0.0.50;
}
pool {
allow members of "allocation-class-2";
range 10.0.0.51 10.0.0.100;
}
}
The data following the class name in the subclass declaration is a constant value to use in matching the match expression for the class. When class matching is done, the server will evaluate the match expression and then look the result up in the hash table. If it finds a match, the client is considered a member of both the class and the subclass.
Subclasses can be declared with or without scope. In the above example, the sole purpose of the subclass is to allow some clients access to one address pool, while other clients are given access to the other pool, so these subclasses are declared without scopes. If part of the purpose of the subclass were to define different parameter values for some clients, you might want to declare some subclasses with scopes.

In the above example, if you had a single client that needed some configuration parameters, while most didn't, you might write the following subclass declaration for that client:

subclass "allocation-class-2" 1:08:00:2b:a1:11:31 {
option root-path "samsara:/var/diskless/alphapc";
filename "/tftpboot/netbsd.alphapc-diskless";
}
In this example, we've used subclassing as a way to control address allocation on a per-client basis. However, it's also possible to use subclassing in ways that are not specific to clients - for example, to use the value of the vendor-class-identifier option to determine what values to send in the vendor-encapsulated-options option. An example of this is shown under the VENDOR ENCAPSULATED OPTIONS head in the dhcp-options(5) manual page.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Now that I know what term to look for, I can even find it for Windows. And again I'm learning more on this board than in school. I want my money back :facepalm:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Playing with one of the stocking stuffers my sister gave me for Christmas: :thumbup:

Attachments

• IMG_2767.jpg
    IMG_2767.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 20

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
No, we just need to choose ones that are... less meaningful. Like some seriously stupid folks whose last name starts with K... :lol:

I can't stomach what is worshipped as celebrity these days. Celebrities were celebrated for having some sort of talent. You might not enjoy their particular talent, but you could often recognize that they possessed something special. Yes, some celebrities had a trashy side. But now the definition of celebrity is someone capable of drawing attention to their stupid, outrageous behavior, maybe possessing freakish anatomical dimensions, but no talent.

So glad I don't have a TV.

APDAF

Reaction score
Certain celebrities tend to lower the IQs of entire nations...

While the good ones are all dying off... :(

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
lhnmEet.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 PM ----------

https://youtu.be/VbxgYlcNxE8?t=220
While listening to this music, take an AK-47, and you know what to do, in the name of The Probe.
:salute::probe:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The “Other Side” Is Not Dumb

In psychology, the idea that everyone is like us is called the “false-consensus bias.” This bias often manifests itself when we see TV ratings (“Who the hell are all these people that watch NCIS?”) or in politics (“Everyone I know is for stricter gun control! Who are these backwards rubes that disagree?!”) or polls (“Who are these people voting for Ben Carson?”).

Online it means we can be blindsided by the opinions of our friends or, more broadly, America. Over time, this morphs into a subconscious belief that we and our friends are the sane ones and that there’s a crazy “Other Side” that must be laughed at — an Other Side that just doesn’t “get it,” and is clearly not as intelligent as “us.” But this holier-than-thou social media behavior is counterproductive, it’s self-aggrandizement at the cost of actual nuanced discourse and if we want to consider online discourse productive, we need to move past this....

When someone communicates that they are not “on our side” our first reaction is to run away or dismiss them as stupid. To be sure, there are hateful, racist, people not worthy of the small amount of electricity it takes just one of your synapses to fire. I’m instead referencing those who actually believe in an opposing viewpoint of a complicated issue, and do so for genuine, considered reasons. Or at least, for reasons just as good as yours.

https://medium.com/@SeanBlanda/the-other-side-is-not-dumb-2670c1294063#.61evo0ozy

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
So I was youtubing some relaxing music tonight and I noticed this:

oh_the_irony.JPG

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Honestly, half the problem is the fact that there's only two sides to vote for. I remember seeing something about the Founding Fathers specifically warning us NOT to go to a two-party system... :facepalm:

I agree that a two-party system sucks--but it's kind of inevitable. There are some decisions that can only go one of two ways. Either your country does this thing, or it does not. Those who want to do it will go into one camp, and those who don't will go into another. Those who are ambivalent will stay out of the fray, but the thing will be done or not be done. And like I said in the Brexit thread, people who are like-minded generally want to hang out.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I agree that a two-party system sucks--but it's kind of inevitable. There are some decisions that can only go one of two ways. Either your country does this thing, or it does not. Those who want to do it will go into one camp, and those who don't will go into another. Those who are ambivalent will stay out of the fray, but the thing will be done or not be done. And like I said in the Brexit thread, people who are like-minded generally want to hang out.

But people aren't binary like this. Yes, they may be split yes/no on certain issues, but certain groups that may oppose on certain issues may agree on others. It's not a blue or red politic, more a Venn diagram with a lot of curious overlaps.

But politically, there is incentive to consolidate power into two groups, especially in a culture like the U.S. where coalitions are eschewed. It simplifies selling differences to the masses (Us versus Them) vs a confusing mess of parties with slightly different takes. And clearly the minimum is 2 parties, as a single party can only exist at gunpoint. Without that, someone will always be the opposition.