Humor Random Comments Thread

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The story's conflict takes place in a much less science fiction world than Planetes, for comparison. No futuristic technology has been shown so far.
Well, it's next decade, if the Constellation program wasn't cancelled.

There are silly moments but there are also very dramatic and emotional moments.

Last edited:

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
ULA selected me to win a prize pack and it just arrived... Incredibly awesome!
CiroHDaUYAAqsDW.jpg

Unstung

Reaction score
Well, it's next decade, if the Constellation program wasn't cancelled.

There are silly moments but there are also very dramatic and emotional moments.

And if NASA had enough money.

The entire show is 99 episodes and I'm not even 10 episodes in, so there's still a lot ahead.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Something mind-blowing and depressing at the same time:

How Far Can We Go? Limits of Humanity. - YouTube

So we're condemned to an envelope of darkness thinking that we're the only thing in the universe, like the planet Krikkit? Our future is devoted to peace, culture, morality, sport, family life, and the extermination of all living things?

Wait...aren't we already doing all these things?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
So we're condemned to an envelope of darkness thinking that we're the only thing in the universe, like the planet Krikkit? Our future is devoted to peace, culture, morality, sport, family life, and the extermination of all living things?

Wait...aren't we already doing all these things?

We are mostly condemned to listening to elder, distinguished scientists telling us what is impossible.... ;)

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
And if NASA had enough money.

The entire show is 99 episodes and I'm not even 10 episodes in, so there's still a lot ahead.
Just a warning: the show doesn't get as far along the overall storyline as the (currently on-going) manga that it's based on. It was put on hiatus to let the manga "catch up," but now the manga is apparently much further ahead. (I hope it will return, because I would rather wait to experience it in an animated format instead of getting the manga)

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
We are mostly condemned to listening to elder, distinguished scientists telling us what is impossible....

Well, he said that it's possible for humans to expand through the local group... That's the most optimistic prediction I've heard ever. :lol:

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Swimming in nostalgia. Picked up 688(I) Hunter/Killer off of Steam for $1.99 (on sale). Used to play it frequently on Windows 95 when I was pretty young. Apparently it was once in the Guinness Book of World Records for "Most Intellectually Challenging Computer Game". It's a somewhat detailed simulation with little guidance provided.

It actually holds up really well today. Just spent three hours on the first non-campaign mission. Remembered a lot about the screens and operation, and I think I was able to quickly understand more of the functions than I used to since I now have a much better understanding of e.g. radar/sonar tracking from things like DCS and learning random info on aerospace combat system over the years.

IIRC, "Frying Tiger", who worked on some of Orbiter's stock vehicles, also worked on some "Jane's Combat Simulations" titles.
Edit: Did a bit of googling: Roger "Frying Tiger" Long - Art Lead - Sonalysts Combat Simulations

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Swimming in nostalgia. Picked up 688(I) Hunter/Killer off of Steam for $1.99 (on sale). Used to play it frequently on Windows 95 when I was pretty young. Apparently it was once in the Guinness Book of World Records for "Most Intellectually Challenging Computer Game". It's a somewhat detailed simulation with little guidance provided.

It actually holds up really well today. Just spent three hours on the first non-campaign mission. Remembered a lot about the screens and operation, and I think I was able to quickly understand more of the functions than I used to since I now have a much better understanding of e.g. radar/sonar tracking from things like DCS and learning random info on aerospace combat system over the years.

IIRC, "Frying Tiger", who worked on some of Orbiter's stock vehicles, also worked on some "Jane's Combat Simulations" titles.

"Dangerous Waters" is essentially the most modern upgrade of 688I, though it lacks some of the fun... in 688I you had been able to upgrade your crew and equipment between the missions.

Still, both games require you to play real double-blind chess, though Dangerous Waters rates a lot higher in my favor for having a SSK with the Kilo class in it.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
"Dangerous Waters" is essentially the most modern upgrade of 688I, though it lacks some of the fun... in 688I you had been able to upgrade your crew and equipment between the missions.

Still, both games require you to play real double-blind chess, though Dangerous Waters rates a lot higher in my favor for having a SSK with the Kilo class in it.

Guess I should have gotten the package on Steam that includes 688(I), Sub Command, and Dangerous Waters. Reviews look good for DW, though an additional DLL or something is needed for running in Win 10. The whole package was on sale; I'll look for that to come back around.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
More Parcel News.

After the great excitement tracking a European parcel delivery, I've gone over the Atlantic.
Latest news at the top.

Wow, its departed London
Departed London, UNITED KINGDOM May 19, 2016 12:03 pm

Departed Miami, UNITED STATES May 18, 2016 9:25 pm
Arrived Miami, UNITED STATES May 18, 2016 12:25 pm
Processed Through Facility ISC MIAMI FL (USPS) May 17, 2016 7:07 pm
Arrived at USPS Facility MIAMI, FL 33112 May 17, 2016 1:39 pm
Departed USPS Facility ORLANDO, FL 32824 May 17, 2016 4:14 am
Arrived at Facility ISC MIAMI FL (USPS) May 17, 2016 1:39 am
Arrived at USPS Facility ORLANDO, FL 32824 May 16, 2016 9:36 pm
Accepted at USPS Origin Facility APOPKA, FL 32712 May 16, 2016 8:21 pm
Shipment Accepted APOPKA, FL 32712 May 16, 2016 3:22 pm
Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS May 16, 2016

Does the US Parcel Service have a time-machine? It seems to have left Miami before it arrived.
It also seems to have gone back and forth between Orlando and Miami?

Anyway, its heading over the Atlantic now, and I now know where Apopka, FL is...

Due to unprecedented demand(0), to know whats in the parcel, its.....this:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1068443

N.

Last edited:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Guess I should have gotten the package on Steam that includes 688(I), Sub Command, and Dangerous Waters. Reviews look good for DW, though an additional DLL or something is needed for running in Win 10. The whole package was on sale; I'll look for that to come back around.

If you eventually pick up Sub Command, find out if they've fixed the problem with the Missile Test mission (workaround included in the link) and if not, apply the workarounds described.

I never got past this mission because of this issue. It basically renders the campaign unplayable. Sadly, it wasn't until years later after I'd long since gotten rid of the game that I randomly stumbled upon the fix.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Swimming in nostalgia. Picked up 688(I) Hunter/Killer off of Steam for $1.99 (on sale).

:beathead: I missed that one!

I still have the Sub Command CD-ROM but I haven't been able to install it since Win98SE. Some classic steam games have an option to use original keys to add it to your library, but this one doesn't. :cry:

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score

I still have the Sub Command CD-ROM but I haven't been able to install it since Win98SE. Some classic steam games have an option to use original keys to add it to your library, but this one doesn't. :cry:
It looks like the sale comes around frequently, at least every second month, sometimes at 75% off and sometimes at 80% off. The next sale may be the Steam Summer Sale in late June; I wouldn't be surprised to see 90% off.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

I still have the Sub Command CD-ROM but I haven't been able to install it since Win98SE.

Really? I don't recall having trouble installing it on XP or Win7 Home Premium x64.

Hmm...I'm thinking...when I moved in February I found a box of old PC games but didn't go through them when I packed them. I wonder if I didn't hang onto this gem without realizing it....I'll have to check when the yard work is done...

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
It's 1946 in Hamburg harbor, when a U-Boat surfaces amidst the shipping vessels. A tugboat pulls along side the U-Boat and the Captain of the submarine pops the hatch and climbs on top of the conning tower.

"Hey, are we still at war?" Asks the Captain.
"No, the war is over." The Tugboat captain replies.
"Did we win or lose?"
"We lost."
"Oh, that's a shame. Well, :censored: the Kaiser, I didn't like him much anyways."

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Gonna be heading down to Cape Canaveral for the NROL-37 Delta IV Heavy launch on June 4th.