The English term is also schadenfreude.

d8979faad53ff062405f93fc5e1efea6.jpg

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
From Fabri91 post above, one of the videos shows a Dodge vehicle with a Cummins engine. I remember them as large(cc) commercial vehicle diesel engines, probably arrived in the UK in late 70's. That company still going?
I could interwebfindoutthing, but I get better responses here!

N.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
From Fabri91 post above, one of the videos shows a Dodge vehicle with a Cummins engine. I remember them as large(cc) commercial vehicle diesel engines, probably arrived in the UK in late 70's. That company still going?
I could interwebfindoutthing, but I get better responses here!

N.

Dodge has been offering Cummins engines in pickups for quite a few years here. Not sure if they still do but probably.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Interesting, I started off in commercial vehicle(lorries in the UK) servicing and the US influx was large in the 70's
I think Chrysler Motors bought out what was the Rootes Group, stirred things up a bit. They brought in high-speed diesels, unlike the slow stuff we had.

Nice to hear Cummins are still going, thought they would have disappeared into GM years ago. Well respected, and reliable, oil tight if I remember well.

Forgot about Perkins,high-speed, but not very reliable
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perkins_Engines#High-speed_diesel_engines

Generic 70's diesels:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._Gardner_and_Sons#Post-war_diesels

Should mention Leyland, probably the largest commercial vehicle builder in the UK for awhile.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leyland_Motors
At that time manufacturers were offering chassis with a selection of engines.
Cummins, Perkins, Leyland, Rolls-Royce(nobody bought those, they were useless, except the military)

And one of the strangest diesel engine.
Three cylinder, six pistons, horizontally opposed, underslung crank-shaft at right angle to the cylinders with rocker-arms. Direct injection, supercharger, forgot, its a two stoke!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commer_TS3

Gets dafter...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTmkO6D0OWI

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
And one of the strangest diesel engine.
Three cylinder, six pistons, horizontally opposed, underslung crank-shaft at right angle to the cylinders with rocker-arms. Direct injection, supercharger, forgot, its a two stoke!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commer_TS3

Interesting. I wish wiki had a diagram of how that works; I'm having trouble picturing it in my head.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I suppose you need that Roost blower to ensure adequate ventilation for this contraption.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
We maight have to trip our new unit (WBN2) off sooner than expected during our testing. Seems there is a leak around the condenser/hotwell area (kind of a normal thing anyway). The problem is the floor drains are clogged and the water isn't getting to the station sump.

Just heard the semi-official news from the guys who just came in from the field. One of the hotwell pumps is blowing water out of the packing.

We could easily shut the pump down, maybe reduce power to 30-35% (or even trip the turbine but keep the reactor). Drain the basement, fix the pumps and be back in business in short order. But that's just us wrench-turners thinking. I'm sure some of our managers will get all their alumni rings together and come up with some goofy solution.

Anyway - There is no danger, all the zoomies are safety contained in the reactor building. All this mess is in the turbine building basement. We ran fine last summer with a foot of water in the basement on the unit 1 side. We lost a seal on the condenser and it looked like a water-feature in sime hotel lobby.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Dodge has been offering Cummins engines in pickups for quite a few years here. Not sure if they still do but probably.

Yup. Cummins TurboDiesels are a very popular package for Ram pickups. They've got a peculiar whistle to the exhaust from the turbo, and they're loud as :censored: because EVERY SINGLE DRIVER of those trucks seems to have a lead foot.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Re. the Commer Knocker, it was a noisy engine, probably down to the blower(Supercharger). The Roots/Rootes(seen all kinds of spelling for that) had a helical form to the two lobes, you can't see it in C3PO animation #22051 above.
Also had a venturi to form a vacuum for the diesel injector governing. Later models had a one-way device in the injector pump drive to knock it out of phase if it ran backward.
Not a good power/weight ratio, but it was compact and usually went underfloor. Popular in buses. Went away in the UK when allowed axle weights went up in commercial vehicles in 60/70's

N.

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Three Taxes for Farmers under the sky,
Seven for the Businessmen in their halls of stone,
Nine for Wage Workers doomed to die,
One for the Treasurer on his dark throne
In Ministry of Finance where the Shadows lie.
One Tax to rule them all, One Tax to find them,
One Tax to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them,
In Ministry of Finance where the Shadows lie

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I suppose you need that Roost blower to ensure adequate ventilation for this contraption.
Opposed Piston Engine with one crank. - YouTube

Roots blowers are very common on larger 2-stroke Diesels of all arrangements. You do need a fair amount of air to clear the exhaust, but it is primarily to turbocharge the air.

---------- Post added at 08:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 AM ----------

I've actually spent a day in an IKEA store with a Swedish-American friend, a hilarious several hours. Damn near killed her with laughter at my attempts to pronounce the product names, butchering the King's Swedish. The packaged and prepared food section is probably the best part of the store. I'm something of a lignonberry jam addict now and it is the only place I know where to get the good stuff that is not too sweet. You can also get Swedish meatballs and macaroni and cheese, which is about as Swedish as a pizza but is very tasty on a cold day. I remember her handing me a package of dried lutfisk and saying gravely, "This is what Swedes used to eat in the good old days. The good old days must have really sucked."

---------- Post added at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

We maight have to trip our new unit (WBN2) off sooner than expected during our testing. Seems there is a leak around the condenser/hotwell area (kind of a normal thing anyway). The problem is the floor drains are clogged and the water isn't getting to the station sump.

Just heard the semi-official news from the guys who just came in from the field. One of the hotwell pumps is blowing water out of the packing.

We could easily shut the pump down, maybe reduce power to 30-35% (or even trip the turbine but keep the reactor). Drain the basement, fix the pumps and be back in business in short order. But that's just us wrench-turners thinking. I'm sure some of our managers will get all their alumni rings together and come up with some goofy solution.

Anyway - There is no danger, all the zoomies are safety contained in the reactor building. All this mess is in the turbine building basement. We ran fine last summer with a foot of water in the basement on the unit 1 side. We lost a seal on the condenser and it looked like a water-feature in sime hotel lobby.

Describes the technical problem in detail, avoids mass hysteria by assuring that there is no safety issue, never says word 'nuclear' once. :10sign: Well played sir!

No, wait...used 'zoomies' in a sentence :11sign::11sign::11sign:

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
We did find (yet) another steam leak. Yesterday it was shooting steam about 5 feet or so, early last night it was 8-10 ft. When I left work this morning it was around 25 feet or so. Looks like a downpower is on tap for tonight maybe.

Or the management will just have a furmanite crew fix it in place (those dudes are a special kind of crazy).

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Windscreen viper?

article-2021207-0D416D6900000578-544_468x298.jpg

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
We did find (yet) another steam leak. Yesterday it was shooting steam about 5 feet or so, early last night it was 8-10 ft. When I left work this morning it was around 25 feet or so. Looks like a downpower is on tap for tonight maybe.

Or the management will just have a furmanite crew fix it in place (those dudes are a special kind of crazy).

Duct tape is what you need!