Humor Random Comments Thread

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think "copy and paste" and below fits that category.
It might in the best cases, but in the worst cases it sends you after a breadcrumb trail through the installation documentation of several tools and dependencies and dependencies of dependencies which have to be installed (and in some cases even built themselves) first :lol:

EDIT: Oh, I see he kind of covered that in the mouseover. Remember to always read the mouseover! :facepalm:

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
How do you work "likely to get a virus" into that diagram?

Viruses don't really fit into that diagramm. They're the easiest applications to install that I know of :lol:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
toggl-how-to-save-the-princess-in-8-programming-languages.jpg

I almost died laughing at how accurately the Lisp-panel displays my emotions towards clojure :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The Java panel only really make sense when you know what # means to Java EE....

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Interesting paper on arXiv. Needs peer review which is why I didn't make a new thread but, yea, the ramifications if true...

https://arxiv.org/abs/1610.03031

A Fourier transform analysis of 2.5 million spectra in the Sloan Digital Sky Survey was carried out to detect periodic spectral modulations. Signals having the same period were found in only 234 stars overwhelmingly in the F2 to K1 spectral range. The signals cannot be caused by instrumental or data analysis effects because they are present in only a very small fraction of stars within a narrow spectral range and because signal to noise ratio considerations predict that the signal should mostly be detected in the brightest objects, while this is not the case. We consider several possibilities, such as rotational transitions in molecules, rapid pulsations, Fourier transform of spectral lines and signals generated by Extraterrestrial Intelligence (ETI). They cannot be generated by molecules or rapid pulsations. It is highly unlikely that they come from the Fourier transform of spectral lines because too many strong lines located at nearly periodic frequencies are needed. Finally we consider the possibility, predicted in a previous published paper, that the signals are caused by light pulses generated by Extraterrestrial Intelligence to makes us aware of their existence. We find that the detected signals have exactly the shape of an ETI signal predicted in the previous publication and are therefore in agreement with this hypothesis. The fact that they are only found in a very small fraction of stars within a narrow spectral range centered near the spectral type of the sun is also in agreement with the ETI hypothesis. However, at this stage, this hypothesis needs to be confirmed with further work. Although unlikely, there is also a possibility that the signals are due to highly peculiar chemical compositions in a small fraction of galactic halo stars.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Saxon state police at its best:

1. Fail to arrest a suspected terrorist, who was dragging his feet, with a massive number of police officers and a SWAT team.
  2. Find out he was preparing a suicide bombing.
  3. See a group of Syrian refugees do the arrest for them with a simple power cord
  4. Don't mention the Syrian refugees did it until being forced by media.
  5. Fail to prevent the suspect from committing suicide in the cell.
  6. Explain the failure to properly monitor him by "Our experts saw no immediate danger of suicide".

Seriously?

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Do you mean a suspected suicide bomber could be a suicide risk while in custody?
Just keep him away from bombs, and its not a problem...

N.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I was actually telling my collegue when hearing about it "well, hanging seems like a rather inefficient method for a suicide attack..."
Sometimes I can be an ass, I know.

Ravenous

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Interesting paper on arXiv. Needs peer review which is why I didn't make a new thread but, yea, the ramifications if true...

https://arxiv.org/abs/1610.03031

Bear in mind instrument effects could be a problem here. It's an interesting paper (and search technique) but also have a read of this:
http://www.astronomy.com/news/2016/10/be-extraordinarily-cautious-about-the-newest-alien-claim

Peaks in Fourier analysis of stellar spectra, such as those discussed by Borra and Trottier, can be caused by instrumental optics or introduced during data reduction. Data artifacts, fringing, and inconsistencies in the manufacture of detectors are known to users of high resolution spectrographs to cause minute patterns to appear in the resulting spectra. The movement of the telescope, variations in observing conditions, and the process of wavelength calibration can easily introduce undesired signals at levels that are only barely detectable. It is therefore important to check the claimed signal using a different telescope and instrument.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Horrible nightmare the other night. I was checking Spaceflight Now, headline was "Catastrophic failure on the pad during crewed Soyuz launch, 32 people killed".

It was quite detailed in my mind. On the video you could see the rocket falling on the side then collapsing, probably because a complete failure of 1 of the boosters. Launch Escape System also failed horribly, causing the whole fairing and spacecraft to spin madly and crashing right on the launchpad. For some reason, the pad crew wasn't in safety zones, so it turned like another Nedelin disaster.

Very bad. :(

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Saxon state police at its best:

1. Fail to arrest a suspected terrorist, who was dragging his feet, with a massive number of police officers and a SWAT team.
  2. Find out he was preparing a suicide bombing.
  3. See a group of Syrian refugees do the arrest for them with a simple power cord
  4. Don't mention the Syrian refugees did it until being forced by media.
  5. Fail to prevent the suspect from committing suicide in the cell.
  6. Explain the failure to properly monitor him by "Our experts saw no immediate danger of suicide".

Seriously?

Sounds like a lot of big city police departments in the US. Bureaucracy is bureaucracy no matter where you are.

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

Horrible nightmare the other night. I was checking Spaceflight Now, headline was "Catastrophic failure on the pad during crewed Soyuz launch, 32 people killed".

It was quite detailed in my mind. On the video you could see the rocket falling on the side then collapsing, probably because a complete failure of 1 of the boosters. Launch Escape System also failed horribly, causing the whole fairing and spacecraft to spin madly and crashing right on the launchpad. For some reason, the pad crew wasn't in safety zones, so it turned like another Nedelin disaster.

Very bad. :(

Once when I was growing up, before the Challenger accident, I had a dream about a space shuttle disaster on the pad. The orbiter was called "Sun Diver"; I vividly remember the name on the side of the fuselage. Something happened and the ET spilled its liquid propellant all over the pad, which ignited. In my dream I was in a helicopter circling the pad when it happened.

The other night I had a dream I was watching a sand lot baseball game and a house cat was playing third base. Between licking itself it made several plays, including catching a fly ball and tagging out a runner.
:WTF:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Those days when you wish you got drunk the evening before, because it really couldn't have made a difference in the morning :facepalm:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Those days when you wish you got drunk the evening before, because it really couldn't have made a difference in the morning :facepalm:

You mean mondays?