Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Did someone order a kitteh from Amazon Prime?

_kitteh_vs_packing_peanuts_BhN9GBY.jpg

:blink: :lol:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Drove to see Mt. St. Helens today...

mrEaUZ0.jpg

This is the "Sediment Retention System", aka a really big earthen dam on the North Fork of the Toutle River. It was built in 1989 to put an end to ash and debris choking up the river as it washed down from the landslide area to the immediate north of the mountain. It was designed to remain useable up to 2035... but it's looking like it will fall rather short of that goal.

Fun fact: For the first five years after the eruption, the Toutle River carried more sediment (total mass, not concentration) than the Mississippi and Amazon Rivers... combined.

EjJapna.jpg

The view from Elk Rock Vista point on the way in. This was my first view of the massive blowdown zone to the north from ground level. I'd seen it before while on airliners, but this was something else entirely.

OnE2IBX.jpg

The view from the Johnson Ridge Observatory. Johnson Ridge was renamed after US Geological Survey scientist David Johnson, who was stationed on the ridge during the eruption, and was killed by the blast. His body was never found.

QCs2vqZ.jpg

I took my old refractor telescope with me on a whim, and I'm glad I did! I started looking around the crater with it and spotted some steam coming off the younger of the two lava domes. (Please forgive the poor quality... I took this through the eyepiece of the telescope with my cellphone camera...)

gKJeMK8.jpg

Another shot, not quite as good.

The younger lava dome formed from 2004 to 2008, and is reportedly still hot (not warm, hot) to the touch, even nearly a decade later.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Should be here on monday or tuesday

syma%20x5sw.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Can't it stop raining for some minutes here.... my car reported "low oil" with 100 km left to go, now I reached my destination, but almost need scuba gear for working on my car...

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Can't it stop raining for some minutes here.... my car reported "low oil" with 100 km left to go, now I reached my destination, but almost need scuba gear for working on my car...

We could use a little rain in DC to cool things down a bit.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
We could use a little rain in DC to cool things down a bit.

Be careful what you wish for.... Oranienburg near Berlin got 253 liters of rain per square meter in 24 hours. Thats about one year of rain in a day.

---------- Post added 07-02-17 at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was 07-01-17 at 04:45 PM ----------

I am loving it.... bought motor oil yesterday after looking under the hood for the allowed oil standards... now its the wrong oil.

Bought: 5W-30, VW Norm 502 00
Needed: 5W-30, VW Norm 504 00

Can't they build engines that work with any 5W-30 oil without warning me about fatal engine failures?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
How can this work... I watch "Two And A Half Men" in German TV via cable TV. In its original english version for the first time, usually its in the German dub here.

My girlfriend watches the same channel in a different state via satellite. She watches it in German version.

How can this happen?

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

Now, after the first commercial break, its back to boring German to me. Was more fun in English.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
It should be possible to make multiple audio tracks available also via broadcast/cable TV. At least that appears to be the case on digital satellite TV, but I've never actually used that feature. Only remember reading something along those lines, so take it with a grain of salt.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It should be possible to make multiple audio tracks available also via broadcast/cable TV. At least that appears to be the case on digital satellite TV, but I've never actually used that feature. Only remember reading something along those lines, so take it with a grain of salt.

Did already check this option here... just German available right now.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah - most transmissions via digital sat or digital cable have multiple audio tracks here. Usually localised and original. Excellent for me as I prefer original verions of English / US shows (with one exception).

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yeah - most transmissions via digital sat or digital cable have multiple audio tracks here. Usually localised and original. Excellent for me as I prefer original verions of English / US shows (with one exception).

Damn... I want the English track back.

Now I just need a button to disable the annoying laughter. I decide what I find funny.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
KLzy6Rf.png

Yep, X-Plane's night lighting is slightly improved compared to FSX's. 10 years do make a difference, it seems.

---------- Post added at 23:48 ---------- Previous post was at 23:16 ----------

Additional randomness: now these are high-speed trains!

(yes, a train does not need to be that fast for a fighter to be able to fly alongside it, but still)

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Yeah - most transmissions via digital sat or digital cable have multiple audio tracks here.
DVB-T too.
With small exceptions, like one of TV networks not supporting it on either of their channels, but only giving 1 to 3 audio tracks (e.g. stereo, Dolby something), all with Polish dubbing/voice-over only, without an option for switching to the original track - they do the same over DVB-S or DVB-C (I hate watching Marvel movies on their channels).

Ravenous

Donator
Donator
Reaction score

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Apologies for the horrible quality, but today I went on a bike ride and got near Venegono from the north, where the Aermacchi M346 are assembled, and I got to see one doing some pattern work: