Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Happy birthday to me... got my mom's death certificate in the mail today. :(

Damn, sometimes life has no chill.

Well, there is never a good day for this, but that is really a bad day for it. :(

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Well, there is never a good day for this, but that is really a bad day for it. :(

I'm partially amused by the cosmic lottery that we all play every day. Sometimes the numbers line up just so. It is all dispassionate chance; no intention to be mean or cause harm, but sometimes it happens all the same.

It's also the shortest day of the year, so I feel like I won the Depression Powerball today too.

Meh, this shall pass. Don't mind me if I imbibe some alcohol and vent a little. My apologies in advance.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'm partially amused by the cosmic lottery that we all play every day. Sometimes the numbers line up just so. It is all dispassionate chance; no intention to be mean or cause harm, but sometimes it happens all the same.

It's also the shortest day of the year, so I feel like I won the Depression Powerball today too.

Meh, this shall pass. Don't mind me if I imbibe some alcohol and vent a little. My apologies in advance.

No deal, I can understand it. I just had to realize that I slowly turn into a Klaus Kinsky double at work during the final days of the project, and that against my coworkers who have to face the same troubles right now. I am really in a terrible shape mentally and its not just the lack of daylight...

but tomorrow, I'll load my car with presents, set the navigation system due south and get some miles between me and my past project for finally becoming human again. There is no better therapy than three weeks with my girlfriend and the children.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm looking forward to the holidays with my sister's family. My wife has given me a dispensation to disappear for a few weeks this winter, which I will probably spend snowshoeing in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Life goes on.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, I generally hate Xmas itself, but I like the winter season. Mainly because I prefer cold weather. I do wish I could have it both ways, though, more sunlight and cold weather at the same time, but I'm good for now. Tomorrow I start being a Grinch for a few days and then back to enjoying the cool dense air and lack of sweating and bugs.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Hm, i just realized that Christmas being on 25th makes today essentially the last workday over there, followed by a week-long "weekend". Suddenly a lot of recent comments make sense.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Hm, i just realized that Christmas being on 25th makes today essentially the last workday over there, followed by a week-long "weekend". Suddenly a lot of recent comments make sense.

Depends on who you work for and how many vacation days you have saved. Schoolkids get a fairly extended period off. Adults are unlikely to be given more than Christmas Eve and Christmas day off (or, as is the case for me this year, the 25th and 26th, as the 24th falls on a Sunday) without using vacation time, and may just get Christmas day. I get a four day weekend this weekend, then a three day workweek, then a three day weekend (because of New Year's), then a four day week.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
With the wide variety of databases available nowadays, like CouchBase, CouchDB, MongoDB, RethinkDB etc, I feel like it's a really missed opportunity that nobody ever called his project "DropDB".

steph

Reaction score
The new definition of a Pyrrhic victory:

The company WeatherOnline had sued the German weather service for their smartphone app, because it offered information for free, that according to the recent changes of the law (in favor of companies like WeatherOnline, BTW) should only be sold at neutral costs.

Well, now the DWD App costs 2€ once for the professional version (which had 5 million users in Germany) and many people are ranting against Weather Online, not the DWD... paying for an app is suddenly considered some kind of confused civil resistance it seems, Also the poor quality of the WeatherOnline reports is now getting a lot more focus.

Could you imagine somebody sueing the NOAA because they want to make money with the data that the NOAA offers for free?

Meh...around here it's a monopoly. You don't really get weather companies, since they're all required to buy their data from the national weather services, and certification is a bureaucratic hell and costs a fortune. Otherwise, it's illegal to issue forecasts, even if you're a trained forecaster. Recently , they tried taking on accuweather and other services because they offer weather data in our country (WTF).
The second biggest problem is that their data is expensive and sometimes crap. It's a shame to rely on hungarian and serbian radars when chasing because our public radar was updating every half an hour, a pro subscription service doesn't exist and if you managed to reach an agreement with them to get the radar data real time, it would cost an arm and a leg.

The shadier thing is when they charge for data that is freely available internationally. A friend of mine was making a study about fish migration, and he had to have daily temp averages for a year at several stations across the country. They literally asked for something like 300 euros for that data. Here's the catch: those stations were also emitting in the international data stream, so you could literally get that data for free from the world meteorological organization (ogimet) website.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Good side of this time of year:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-42466406

A World War Two veteran said he spent three hours opening cards following a friend's plea on Facebook to stop him feeling lonely this Christmas.
"Another big pile has just turned up, my front room is full," said Ted Owens, 93, a former Royal Marines Commando from Pembroke Dock, Pembrokeshire.

A Happy New Year and all the best to all here.

George.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I did wonder what they were, thought they were part of the industrial site. If it had started rolling, would it have been the largest man-made moving structure ever?

N.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I just watch a replay of the 2017 Christmas broadcast from Queen Elizabeth.

Classy lady, wish more heads of state (ahem) would follow her example.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Those earthen berms are interesting. Almost looks like they were meant to catch the structure, maybe they were concerned with the possibility of it not flattening and rolling away.

If I remember correctly, they are mostly there for making sure that the momentum of the collapsing structure is caught and will not be used for catapulting large pieces of debris over a longer distance. The idea is to make the building hit the ground as hard as possible in an as small area as possible so its easier to remove the debris afterwards. Thus the gaps between the Earth berms.

Having chunks of concrete going ballistic over multiple hundred meters is a VERY bad idea, especially if you don't have so much distance until the next building.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Picked up Andy Weir’s new hard sci-fi novel Artemis yesterday and I’m really enjoying it so far. Anyone else pick it up?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I think I preordered it. have to check my Kindle.

Hey for some pretty decent reading in between "serious" books, Colony One by Gerald Kilby was alright. $0.99 for Kindle edition and free if you have unlimited.