Humor Random Comments Thread

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Today is the 20th anniversary of the deadly Eschede high-speed train accident... damn, am I getting old. In a few weeks, its 20 years since I joined the army.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Today is the 20th anniversary of the deadly Eschede high-speed train accident... damn, am I getting old. In a few weeks, its 20 years since I joined the army.

I thought you were in the army in the late 80s? I always figured you, me, and PhantomCruiser were about the same age.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I thought you were in the army in the late 80s? I always figured you, me, and PhantomCruiser were about the same age.

:lol: No, not that old. In the late 80s, I was around 10.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Had I stayed in the NAVY, I could have retired last year with 30 years in.

At least I'm not the oldest one here :thumbup:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
And here I was having a laugh in the breakroom at work today about how I look several years younger than I actually am. Several coworkers though I was in my early twenties... Sorry, guys, add about 5 years. :lol:

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
On M6 we had a Japanese Orbiteer that was 90+. I can't remember what addon he was working on.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
On M6 we had a Japanese Orbiteer that was 90+. I can't remember what addon he was working on.

Don't know either, but if things go on like this, I know which add-on I'll still be working on with 90 :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Don't know either, but if things go on like this, I know which add-on I'll still be working on with 90 :lol:

I am pretty sure: I will ALWAYS pretend that I could just go away and stop doing it. Sometimes I feel like the old owner of a family business, always poking in and annoying his successors....

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh dear, microsoft is buying GitHub.
I'll hold off with putting some money on the table and moving my stuff to bitbucket for now, but I'll be watching...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'll hold off with putting some money on the table and moving my stuff to bitbucket for now, but I'll be watching...

Well, it might be a good thing to happen, because Microsoft has become annoyingly friendly for open-source software. Of course, we all know TANSTAAFL and that Microsoft simply learned that business is changing and making Microsoft software smoothly interoperable with free software is simply giving the big customers what the big customers want. That's also why the Linux Subsystem for Windows exists now.

Also it was a good idea for Microsoft, because they had already hosted many of their own open-source projects on GitHub.

(Similar with Minecraft - while Microsoft might not have earned that much money by the software itself, they sure earned a lot by the business with the server hosters.)

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score

Why would you have to put money on the table to move stuff to Bitbucket? AFAIK they have a better private repo offering than Github, anyway.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Why would you have to put money on the table to move stuff to Bitbucket? AFAIK they have a better private repo offering than Github, anyway.

I don't need private repos for my free-time stuff, otherwise I wouldn't be on GitHub... :lol:

I have to admit that my knowledge might be a bit outdated, though. Last time I checked, you had to start paying pretty soon if you have a lot of projects, and especially if you have a few contributors. Not that I have many contributors at the moment, but hope dies last (faith dies before it... :lol:).

In any case, I do know that Microsoft has come a long way. But I'll still be watching things more closely.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I don't need private repos for my free-time stuff, otherwise I wouldn't be on GitHub... :lol:

I have to admit that my knowledge might be a bit outdated, though. Last time I checked, you had to start paying pretty soon if you have a lot of projects, and especially if you have a few contributors. Not that I have many contributors at the moment, but hope dies last (faith dies before it... :lol:).

In any case, I do know that Microsoft has come a long way. But I'll still be watching things more closely.

Last I've checked you can give push permissions to repos on Bitbucket to 5 devs. This is a reasonable amount for free-time stuff IMHO. AFAIK, count is unlimited, for public as well as private repos.

ljetibo

Reaction score
Well, it might be a good thing to happen, because Microsoft has become annoyingly friendly for open-source software. Of course, we all know TANSTAAFL and that Microsoft simply learned that business is changing and making Microsoft software smoothly interoperable with free software is simply giving the big customers what the big customers want. That's also why the Linux Subsystem for Windows exists now.

I agree with you almost completely with the addendum that anything Mic. bought went through a transition phase in which it was very unfriendly with anything *nix, or common sense. It gets better soon enough but there's an annoying slump in the middle.

This is not a big deal for stuff like Skype I guess but it could be quite annoying for something like GitHub and I don't really feel like surviving yet another "20 tools that do what **** does but better" phase and the ensuing circle-jerk. Plus transitioning anyone older away from the idea that git != github and that it's all the same thing gets a bit boring - this depends on the field and type of work you're in I guess. And I am certain that to a measure current github users might migrate to Bitbucket (I mean, why not - it's great!) which might necessitate further education of older population.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
this depends on the field and type of work you're in I guess.

Well, you know, like many software developers, I love to get paid. :lol: Even for telling the same things to every customer again and again. My typical level boss isn't really the older generation. My toughest customers are engineers. Those are really conservative, especially about their favorite CAD system. Once they manage to master one, its understandable that they don't want to learn a different UI monstrosity.

ljetibo

Reaction score
Well, you know, like many software developers, I love to get paid. :lol:

Me too, I'm just saying - sometimes people work somewhere where it's not *explicitly* their job but still kind-of ends up their responsibility. Much like the engineers, they soon grow to be conservative too!

Usually you can find them busy administrating user permits via Win XP applications. :)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Usually you can find them busy administrating user permits via Win XP applications. :)

I had seen one such special exemplar carefully protecting his COBOL application window against predators....

steph

Reaction score
Playing around with a plasma ball (got one a few days ago, marvelous thing), I get the smart idea of filming the inner electrode up close with my phone
So, after a few takes with my phone almost touching the glass, it goes black for a few seconds and then restarts. No lasting harm done, apparently. I should have thought of this..the induction currents around this thing should be pretty rad

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Not that much by induction, but by displacement current, which can even travel through air.