Humor Random Comments Thread

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
With some models the fuselage had a slot in the bottom, roundabout the cog.

A plastic arm, about 3" long slotted into this, the other end into a usually V-shaped piece.

Gave the appearance of being off the ground if you did it with the wheels up!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
With some models the fuselage had a slot in the bottom, roundabout the cog.

A plastic arm, about 3" long slotted into this, the other end into a usually V-shaped piece.

Gave the appearance of being off the ground if you did it with the wheels up!

Ah OK, that was usually optional part for most models I saw. :lol:

I still have some scale models on my cubboard to be painted and assembled, but I lack the calmness to do that again. :(

- UHT Tiger
- 206 class submarine
- M109 SPH
- Apollo CSM and LM.

Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
All mine are land-fill long time ago.
I resist the temptation passing modelling magazines in the newsagent...

Out of curiosity I looked up Airfix and Revell on Amazon.
There's hundreds of them!
I'm doomed.

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Life: "You just got out of bed and got dressed. What do you do?"
Me: "I start my laptop and check my work mail!"
Life: "Please give me a skill check for that."
Me: "Right, uhm... whoops, that's a natural one..."
Life: "You accidentally auto-paste your email credentials from keepass into the chat window instead of the login page!"
Me: "Well, :censored:!"

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It's funny you should mention LEGO, because I just came here to say that my wife has found a new name for them.
She calls them "Tiny, tiny :censored:" now! :lol: I guess there's no point in pitching that to LEGOs marketing department...

:facts:
rare-image-of-a-shark-stepping-on-a-lego-4209424.png

:cheers:

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
compiling.png

Adding a new method to any of the NASSP classes. :coffee:

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
You can greatly reduce (re-)compile times by using forward declarations instead of #include the headers (where you can)!

See for example this little summary if you like to find out a little about it.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You can greatly reduce (re-)compile times by using forward declarations instead of #include the headers (where you can)!

See for example this little summary if you like to find out a little about it.

And especially avoid generics if you can. In SSU, changing the few classes with generics causes the worst recompile times. Luckily, they don't change often, but now with the upcoming JSON definition file for VC animations, it will happen...

Linguofreak

Reaction score
...He escaped the zoo being bombed in 1943.
British soldiers found him three years later and gave him to the Soviet Union.
How he spent the intervening years always remained a mystery...
]

I can just imagine some SS goon coming face to face with the thing and trying to get his unit to believe him.

"There are no alligators in Germany! Are you drunk?

I think maybe the bombing has left you a few bricks short of a load!

Have you been secretly reading American stories about alligators in the sewers?"

Marijn

Reaction score
In the United States, it is Memorial Day today, the day on which all soldiers killed in action are commemorated. A memorial is to be held on the Sunday before that at the American Cemetery in Margraten in Limburg (southern Netherlands). It was supposed to be a special event this year because the Netherlands celebrates 75 years of freedom, but that was canceled because of the corona measures. Now there was only very limited company on the vast field of white crosses. King Willem-Alexander was the first to lay a wreath.

The cemetery in Margraten has been in use since the autumn of 1944. Most of the 8301 American soldiers buried in the 26.5 ha cemetery, formerly arable lands, died during the liberation of Limburg, the Battle of the Bulge - which killed nearly 77,000 Americans - and during the battle in the Ruhr. The Americans did not want to bury their fallen on enemy territory and therefore received a piece of Dutch land on loan. Immediately after the war, the Limburgers wanted to give something back to their liberators. This led to the adoption project with regular contact between the Dutch and American survivors.

The clay soil, which was swampy due to the wet weather, made construction difficult. The gravediggers, besides German prisoners of war, mainly consisted of black soldiers, for whom there was no place in combat parts at the time. They had the ungrateful task of burying their white comrades, only to be confronted with racial segregation again when they returned home.

There was an almost endless stream of fresh corpses, sometimes as much as five hundred a day. At the peak, after the end of the war, nearly 18000 bodies were buried, including Germans, who would later be moved to the German military cemetery in Ysselsteyn.

In 1948, about ten thousand bodies were repatriated. Ultimately, 8301 Americans would be buried there permanently. One grave is empty nowadays, because a body was returned to the US in 2001. Because two unidentified Americans are buried in one grave, there are nevertheless as many graves as there are bodies in the cemetery.

In the 1950s, the cemetery was definitively decorated and each grave was given a white marble cross or Star of David. During this period, the memorials, containing a chapel, and the memorial wall, with the names of about 1700 missing, also rose.

To dispel a common misunderstanding: the cemetery is not an American territory. The Americans have received the area out of respect and as a tribute on "perpetual loan.".

The cemetery is open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., except December 25 and January 1. The sea of ​​white crosses and the realization that the fallen have been part of the cradle of our freedom, leaves an indelible impression on many visitors.

bcd6a3d6-9dcc-11ea-b955-02d2fb1aa1d7.jpg

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I just spent the whole day doing a test as part of an application for a job. Got it to do all that was asked, within the requirements (performance and object specifications)... but the solution would not get accepted because apparently one requirement was not fulfilled... but it didn't say which. :beathead:
Looking at the code, the only thing that could be the "issue" is inserting stuff in a std::map with mymap[key] = val; instead of mymap.insert(...), but I didn't even have time to change the code, as I spent several hours running tests to make sure it was all OK. :compbash:
The beauty of computers is that you can't argue with them, so of course I got the big red sign, with the text "our interviewer won't even bother with you, goodbye stupid"... :facepalm:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Looking at the code, the only thing that could be the "issue" is inserting stuff in a std::map with mymap[key] = val; instead of mymap.insert(...),

Well, somewhere deep in the C++ standard, there are differences between the two... but none that should bother for the solution.

Of course, if there is a code style guide for that, you should follow it, but if not... Its a good way to get rid of good applications.

I would have used insert() anyway at that point since I expect the least trouble there with different compilers...

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I would have used insert() anyway at that point since I expect the least trouble there with different compilers...

I used insert() in some places, but not all (different situations). There were no issues with the compilation, except a missing typename before the iterator declaration, which took 2s to fix.
Oh well, it's dead and buried now. On to mesh fixing...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
On to mesh fixing...

I wish I could say so... still busy with the management accounting homework, while getting back to C++ development at work is postponed due to COVID-19.

Marijn

Reaction score
Virgin Orbit first launch attempt has failed early in the first stage.
[ame="https://twitter.com/Virgin_Orbit/status/1265023753970302976"]Virgin Orbit on Twitter: "In this first launch demo, we successfully completed all of our pre-launch procedures, captive carry flight out to the drop site, clean telemetry lock from multiple dishes, a smooth pass through the racetrack, terminal count, and a clean release from the aircraft."[/ame]