Humor Random Comments Thread

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Indeed!

I like a good graph, but I can't see any link myself.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Murder, mayhem, the Crusades, its all Lead's fault...

That seems to be backwards. What the article says is not that lead pollution caused certain things, but rather that the rise and fall in lead pollution map precisely to known policies and circumstances. They don't say that the bishop was killed because the king was mad of lead poisoning, but rather that there is a significant spike in lead pollutuion following the murder, when Henry was building monasteries like mad to get back in favour with the pope.
I found it quite interesting really. Goes to show that mankind has been having quite an impact on the environment since way before force multipliers like steam or electricity.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
You're right, I had the graph upside down...!

:)

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Regex is probably the most famous "write-only" language.
However, the more I have to optimise our queries because our mountains of data are growing, the more I find that SQL is a strong contender... :shifty:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Regex is probably the most famous "write-only" language.
However, the more I have to optimise our queries because our mountains of data are growing, the more I find that SQL is a strong contender... :shifty:

What about GraphQL?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Never worked with it. Wrapping a query language around an API is a scary concept though, for sure. I'd rather keep my API clean and usable, providing data is what it's there for, after all...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Never worked with it. Wrapping a query language around an API is a scary concept though, for sure. I'd rather keep my API clean and usable, providing data is what it's there for, after all...

Well, I see some advantages there, especially regarding repository patterns and big data. Writing SQL queries for a snowflake scheme manually is no rewarding task and pretty much the definition of write-only. :lol:

And its still easier than LDAP queries...

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Writing SQL queries for a snowflake scheme manually is no rewarding task and pretty much the definition of write-only

Well yeah, snowflakes can get a bit wild... structure-wise, out database is very humble, fortunately.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
This one cracked me up. :lol:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Just curious...

On another site there seems to be some controversy over how well known Roman Numerals are?
Question came about why some films and tv programs have end-slides with Arabic or Roman Numerals for production date.

Not important in itself, but I was surprised by how few people knew about the structure of the RN system.
Is it not taught anymore?

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Here it was taught early in school - positional and non-positional number system.
Funny thing is i didn't get it at first that arabic numerals are the positional ones and roman are not, since naively it looks the other way around.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
We usually have the roman empire in history class somewhen in primary school, where the numerals are usually mentioned, but other than that, we didn't cover them.
Most swiss kids get to read Asterix, though, which is probably the largest source of knowledge for random latin phrases and other tidbits related to the romans in all of europe...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Most swiss kids get to read Asterix, though, which is probably the largest source of knowledge for random latin phrases and other tidbits related to the romans in all of europe...

Same here. We spent about as much time learning roman numerals in school as for learning egyptian hieroglyphs. Not really much.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
In my time (late 1980s) roman numerals were required knowledge.
They are still quite common on dates, book indexes and formal documents.

Some law schools here use Latin phrases because of tradition, but it's not wide spread.

Anyway, there's frequent contact with Latin due to heritage sites. Lot's of roman inscriptions around, and most churches also have Latin writings on tombs.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I grew up fairly close to Hadrian's Wall(lots of people did, its a long wall!). So the Roman history in the border regions was part of schooling. Got quite a few trips to the sites, fascinating.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Same here. We spent about as much time learning roman numerals in school as for learning egyptian hieroglyphs. Not really much.

I think we spent more time in school on Egyptian hieroglyphs than Roman numerals. I learned Rylan numerals from my parents. I think the biggest thing here for teaching people Roman numerals is the Superbowl.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
So what's one to do with a 3D printer and confined at home?

Well, convert an old nitro RC car to run on a quadcopter motor made for 11-or-so inch props.

The original RC car:
attachment.php

Electric motor:
attachment.php

Since I'm using an ESC more suited for airplanes/quadcopters (and possibly also due to the type of motor used) it cannot move reliably at too low speeds, so for now I've decided to keep the centrifugal clutch.

Which, since both the nitro engine and the brushless motor have an M6-threaded output shaft, fits perefectly and is a convenient way to mount the output gear anyway:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

First run on a bench:

Finally, first roll on it's own power:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzAu-XvMExw"]Quacopter BLDC conversion - P190 Chassis - first roll - YouTube[/ame]

Things to improve:
  • Clutch bites at too high RPM (approx. 1/2 throttle) - should be possible to remove the closing spring on the clutch since the motor doesn't have to "idle"
  • Add Arduino controller to account for the need to retain the throttle/brake servo to actuate the mechanical brake
  • Most likely add control from bluetooth via phone since I do not want to dedicate a remote/buy a receiver to this "concept"
  • Lower the shift point of the two-gear transmission to enable a shift to second gear?

Attachments

• IMG_20200426_090604191.jpg
    IMG_20200426_090604191.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20200426_091823560.jpg
    IMG_20200426_091823560.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_20200426_092824611.jpg
    IMG_20200426_092824611.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_20200426_165449894.jpg
    IMG_20200426_165449894.jpg