Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I felt, not quite randomly, inspired to misquote lovecraft this morning:

It was just a colour out of the nose—a frightful messenger from unformed realms of infinity beyond all Nature as we know it; from realms whose mere existence stuns the brain and numbs us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes.

Sorry if anybody was reading during breakfast... :shifty:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Now that I have ordered a replacement for my defect notebook to again have a working GPU and have silence again because the main fan kept on running at 100% the whole time with the defect GPU...

It suddenly and without any known cause decided that its cold enough now and switched the fan to silent 25% speed...

At least I will be able to do Orbiter again soon.

Marijn

Reaction score
Payload V1 intended for Antwerp cleared

Several parts of a V1 flying bomb were blown up today in Lochem. The 935kg explosive is being detonated in parts of 50kg. The V1 was found last year during road works near Deventer. It was produced shortly before the end of the war.

The Germans did not have enough of the intended explosive materials for the bomb and used a mix of various other materials to fill the payload. Major Peters says they've found 'raketkruid'. The mix requires a set of smaller explosions to clear all of it.

I never heard of that term before. Google Translate says it is 'rocket herb' in English and 'Raketenkraut' in German. It sure does sound dangerous.

The payload was intended for the port of Antwerp. But after 20 kilometers or so, the V1 ditched into the clay. The bomb is charged in-flight after 6-8 minutes. But before that timer ran out, it was already on the ground. The mechanism which should ignite the bomb on impact therefore never activated.

So it's not a huge explosion..
edit: video is gone..

https://www.telegraaf.nl/nieuws/618097799/eod-laat-lading-v1-deventer-ploffen-bij-lochem

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I never heard of that term before. Google Translate says it is 'rocket herb' in English and 'Raketenkraut' in German. It sure does sound dangerous.

Not sure if this really fits, but later V1 warheads used a mixture called Trialen, where pellets or "biscuits" of Trialen-109 had been placed into a matrix with Trialen-105 poured around. This kind of production method had been called "Stuckfüllung" or biscuit filling in English.

This method made an otherwise shock sensitive explosive rather shock insensitive. Possible that the dutch term denotes this.

A big problem for Germany late in the war: The explosive mixture required lots of aluminum powder, which the country did not have.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Fiddling with some remote release hack via GPIO for a fuji.
Boss: "Huh, I think we have to inverse the polarity..."
Me: "Let me just get my sonic screwdriver..."

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
“Tail in the water, head in the air,” Martin sang, confusing Marchenko. “Sorry—it’s a German children’s song.”

Morris, Brandon Q.. Return to Enceladus: Hard Science Fiction (Ice Moon Book 4) (p. 323). Hard-SF.com. Kindle Edition.

Reading that, is the quote true?

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Since the magnetometer was too close and I currently do not have access to stores or 3d printers due to the current ongoing unpleasantness I did what I had to do. :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_20200325_201931350.jpg
    IMG_20200325_201931350.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 31

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Since the magnetometer was too close and I currently do not have access to stores or 3d printers due to the current ongoing unpleasantness I did what I had to do. :lol:

Now it has the same low CoG as a Vespa...

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Yes, but what isn't seen is that in such multirotors the battery is often also installed on top of the frame.

And there's the good old rocket pendulum fallacy, too :)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
And there's the good old rocket pendulum fallacy, too :)

It is no fallacy that rockets are inherently instable and need control to not cartwheel away. Putting the rocket engines on top just won't change that at all. :lol:

Contrary to aircraft and rotorcraft, which can be self-stabilizing.

But sometimes you want something instable to be able to rotate faster. ;)

And putting the batteries on top on a Quadrotor should move the CoG closer to the rotor plane, which means, the stabilizing lever arm is shorter and the quadrotor not overcontrolled, which would make flying it much harder.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Luckily the control authority of such quadrotors is absolutely obscene and unless a significant load (such as the battery) is positioned so far out that it'll change the moment of inertia by a very large amount the controller software will deal with anything this side of an attack by an eagle. :)

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Apparently, with arrival of the quarantine measures last weak, our central message broker has started to panick and is now hoarding threads. It's not healthy for it of course, and it's the third day of analysing what's going on, and I'm getting reeeeeeeally tired from looking at thousands of log entires and googling for obscure details that might yield a hint... :dry:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
No problem, that find and egrep can't solve. Or ElasticSearch of course.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
No problem, that find and egrep can't solve. Or ElasticSearch of course.

There's no data it can't find, but that doesn't solve your problem if you don't know the underlying technologies you're working with... :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
There's no data it can't find, but that doesn't solve your problem if you don't know the underlying technologies you're working with... :lol:

Ooooook... that sounds worse, if you are still at the stage of "Is that line a bug or a feature". (If you ask the software manufacturer, it is of course, always a feature and you are just using it wrong. :dry:)