Humor Random Comments Thread

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I assume the abort was because they came down so far off centerline? Did anyone catch anything other than that?

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I assume the abort was because they came down so far off centerline? Did anyone catch anything other than that?

Wasn't too far from the touch down point. Did plant it too.

Centreline didn't look that bad. Maybe the reverse's didn't deploy?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Can you imagine what it would be like if a bronze age fisherman were transported to our time, and you were giving him a tour?

*Standing off the departure end of a runway at a large airport.
*747 takes off and flies overhead.
Bronze ager: WTF is *THAT*!!!!
You: It's a flying ship. We do that these days.
Bronze ager: That's a :censored: enormous ship!
You: Meh, it's hard to get things to fly, so it's actually fairly tiny compared to a floating ship...
Bronze ager: HOW :censored: BIG ARE YOUR FLOATING SHIPS???!!!
*Bronze ager faints.

Depending on from where you took him, explaining some other changes might be easier. "Oh, we still celebrate Jul. We just call it Christmas and don't sacrifice human slaves anymore. Just give it a chance."

"That is beer. Be careful with it, its a lot stronger than you are used to. But there is also alcohol-free beer, that you can consume as usual."

Still, I would not take him to a Supermarkt too soon. It must be mind-blowing to see so much food in one place and that for so cheap. I just need to work for 20 minutes a day to earn the food that I need for buying all food I consume that day.

And I wonder how it would be like coming from the bronze age middle east and realizing not too much has actually changed in Mesopotamia. The many AK-47s might be a bit weird at first, but that just a better version of a bow...

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Finding a bug that causes a permanent off-by-one error in billable metrics is not great for your mental health. I'm on the fast track to becoming paranoid now... :shifty: At least the code wasn't in production yet.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Finding a bug that causes a permanent off-by-one error in billable metrics is not great for your mental health. I'm on the fast track to becoming paranoid now... :shifty: At least the code wasn't in production yet.

Had the same off by one once...luckily it wasn't billable. It only decided if the server park was available or was considering itself out of sessions. So, maybe it was billable in a way.

Problem: The software redesign I did for fixing a major race condition the previous developer left me, assumed that there is never a prolonged period in which all second tier servers in the pipeline are physically not available to the first tier servers that interact with the "users" (or better, connected systems).

What I did not include was, that operations still shut down the second tier servers every night for maintenance, but did not shut down the first tier servers. So the first tier servers still accepted sessions, tried to contact every other second tier server and rolled back all second-tier sessions in that attempt per request. Except that, when all servers in that process did not respond at all, one last zombie session was not deleted, because the time for the long connection attempts inside the first tier server exceeded the response-timeout and bypassed the code to clean up all session resources properly. :facepalm:

Sadly I am no longer responsible for fixing this bug and shutting down the second tier servers sequentially for maintenance was a cheaper solution...

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Centreline didn't look that bad. Maybe the reverse's didn't deploy?

To my eye his left main was about on centerline, and his nose gear significantly to the right. It's hard to judge given the compressed depth of field, but I formed the impression that he was angled right of centerline as well, so the off centerline distance would be increasing.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sadly I am no longer responsible for fixing this bug and shutting down the second tier servers sequentially for maintenance was a cheaper solution...

Ah yes, I'm familiar with that way of "fixing" things :lol:

In my case the metrics are about the number of various types of objects existing. In the case of one of these types of objects which I looked at first, the timing was such that the data I received for aggregation was the number before a deletion took place, so I just assumed that would be the case for all of them. Only, some of the services actually delivered the number of objects after deletion. Of course all the data was mocked on the first assumption in the unit tests, so no chance of catching that there...
Got no one to blame but myself, at least.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-51558440

Remarkable, would have thought it flooded and capsized long ago ?

AFAIR, it was in distress because of an engine and electricity failure.

But the odyssey was far more complex.

It was first abandoned by the crew south east of Bermuda.

Then claimed to have been put under tow by its African owner, but claimed hijacked near the coast of Africa.

Then reappeared in the Mid-Atlantic, when discovered by the HMS Protector, likely never been towed at all. (The wind patterns are pretty reliable at the west coast of Africa, it would have been blown south by drifting)

Finally made it to Ireland after 5000 km travel in almost 2 years. Without somebody else sighting it or noticing the ghost ship on radar. As if it simply managed to avoid all other ships.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Spooky!
Sort of inverse Mary Celeste?
More likely insurance fraud...

Wonder why HMS Protector didn't torpedo it as a danger to navigation?
They could have got into the record books as the first RN torpedoing since WWII. Just
before the court-martial.

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
You forgot the ARA General Belgrano was sunk by a 21 inch Mk 8 mod 4 torpedo (WW2 era) fired from HMS Conqueror in 1982.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, I sure did!

I'll qualify it by adding surface ships only.....

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, that's what they say!

Bit suspicious it just happened to come across that vessel when it should have been hunting icebergs...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yes, that's what they say!

Bit suspicious it just happened to come across that vessel when it should have been hunting icebergs...

As long as the Protector is not commanded by Tim Allen, all is fine...

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I just realised that Kotlin lets you declare immutable accessors with lazy initialisation in the local function scope the exact same way it lets you declare them as class properties.

Considering most languages don't offer syntax support for this kind of thing on any scope at all... God, I love this language.