Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Since hearing about this a few hours ago, I have been STUNNED that this is not the top headline on every website.

Barack Obama, Joe Biden, Elon Musk, Apple, and others hacked in unprecedented Twitter attack

I tend to get my news second hand from sources that link to other places in date order (Slashdot, Wikipedia current events, etc.), so I didn't really notice.

Anyways, in addition to the political/celebrity accounts targeted, apparently a lot of less universally well known accounts that are prominent in the cryptocurrency community were taken over, so it really does appear to have mostly been a smash-and-grab for bitcoin.

Zandy12

Add-on Developer
Donator
Reaction score
C++ is to assembly language what a Formula 1 car is to a Drag Racer.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I am sure it was some kind of quantum dynamic freak accident, an accounting error to my advantage. But I got a grade of 1.3 in my level boss exam "cost and earnings accounting".

That is it.

Only project phase and bachelor thesis left. And then the big question. How long can I survive without studying something...

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Schlock Mercenary webcomic just ended.

It's strange, to wake up and find zero new comic strips. No matter what day it is, i could always expect Schlock to be here. That never happened before...

Linguofreak

Reaction score
There are worse ways for a comic to end. Sometimes the author doesn't retire, and dies at his desk one day with a story arc unfinished.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Well, that's what I thought when I read it.

In a near detective story:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-53580339

The return of the core, which was removed during archaeological excavations in 1958, enabled archaeologists to analyse its chemical composition.

No-one knew where it was until Robert Phillips, 89, who was involved in those works, decided to return part of it last year.

Yes, very likely, bit of of a coincidence.
We all know its the alien VOR.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53692475

A nudist in Berlin got too close to nature for comfort when a wild boar snatched his plastic bag - which had his laptop inside.

The naked man gave chase to the boar and her two piglets - much to the amusement of fellow sunbathers.

You get many boars in the parks in Germany?

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

I'm guessing that the nudist/boars ratio is not a thing in the UK?
... or maybe an irrational number? :lol:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
No boars, not many nudists either. I think it's a Continental thing...

Some have escaped from farms in the South and becoming a bit of a pest.
Culling in some places.

Boars, not nudists of course.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53692475

We have lots of them in the suburbs and some city parks. Germany is also pretty forested, including some cities, which makes it more likely in some places to meet them. Lots of food for them here.

Around my place, there are also deers and foxes living wild in the middle of the city. We even have kingfishers in the small ponds right next to a supermarket and a skatepark.

---------- Post added at 20:51 ---------- Previous post was at 20:50 ----------

Boars, not nudists of course.

British nudism sounds like a Monty Python....

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Sounds wonderful, we chopped down most of the forests for agriculture in the middle ages. Had to start some new ones for the Navy when Napoleon started getting
radical.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Forest

Following Anglo-Saxon settlement in Britain, according to Florence of Worcester (d. 1118), the area became the site of the Jutish kingdom of Ytene; this name was the genitive plural of Yt meaning "Jute", i.e. "of the Jutes".[24] The Jutes were one of the early Anglo-Saxon tribal groups who colonised this area of southern Hampshire. The word ytene (or ettin) is also found locally as a synonym for giant, and features heavily in local folklore.[25][26]

Following the Norman Conquest, the New Forest was proclaimed a royal forest, in about 1079, by William the Conqueror. It was used for royal hunts, mainly of deer.[27] It was created at the expense of more than 20 small hamlets and isolated farmsteads; hence it was then 'new' as a single compact area.[28]

The New Forest was first recorded as Nova Foresta in Domesday Book in 1086, where a section devoted to it is interpolated between lands of the king's thegns and the town of Southampton; it is the only forest that the book describes in detail. Twelfth-century chroniclers alleged that William had created the forest by evicting the inhabitants of 36 parishes, reducing a flourishing district to a wasteland; however, this account is thought dubious by most historians, as the poor soil in much of the area is believed to have been incapable of supporting large-scale agriculture, and significant areas appear to have always been uninhabited.[29][30]

Two of William's sons died in the forest: Prince Richard sometime between 1069 and 1075, and King William II (William Rufus) in 1100. Local folklore asserted that this was punishment for the crimes committed by William when he created his New Forest; 17th-century writer Richard Blome provides exquisite detail:

In this County [Hantshire] is New-Forest, formerly called Ytene, being about 30 miles in compass; in which said tract William the Conqueror (for the making of the said Forest a harbour for Wild-beasts for his Game) caused 36 Parish Churches, with all the Houses thereto belonging, to be pulled down, and the poor Inhabitants left succourless of house or home. But this wicked act did not long go unpunished, for his Sons felt the smart thereof; Richard being blasted with a pestilent Air; Rufus shot through with an Arrow; and Henry his Grand-child, by Robert his eldest son, as he pursued his Game, was hanged among the boughs, and so dyed. This Forest at present affordeth great variety of Game, where his Majesty oft-times withdraws himself for his divertisement.[31]

Reintroducing beavers, and storks. Having some success. UK isn't a big country and being an island once a species is extinct, that's it.

Last edited:

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
They are getting comfortable in cities more and more....
Berlin is like their "Capital" ;)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
They are getting comfortable in cities more and more....
Berlin is like their "Capital" ;)

No surprise considering the geography of the city. Especially the Berlin wall and its later changes created a nice line of parks straight into the city and past many gardening colonies...