Humor Random Comments Thread

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Forty years ago this week, the Black Buck operation to attack Port Stanley airfield.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Forty years ago this week, the Black Buck operation to attack Port Stanley airfield.

Mark Felton lost of lot of credibility here after becoming really aggressively insulting towards the German tank museum about them not showing an original Tiger tank anymore...

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Thats a shame. I don't follow him closely, he makes good short info videos I thought.
No need for bad manners. Should take a lesson from:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Thats a shame. I don't follow him closely, he makes good short info videos I thought.
No need for bad manners. Should take a lesson from:

Yeah, he wrongfully accused the museum of having sold the Tiger tank to a private collector and instead of correcting his error (which he should have known better in first place), he further attacked the museum and other experts on the matter. Things got a tad bit excited there.

In reality, the Tiger tank in the museum was just a benevolent loan by a private collector to the museum for three years, who wanted to further restore the tank to make it capable of driving again. In 2017, the museum has put the "PlasTiger" there, which is a piece of art by itself, made by the technology center of the German Army for camouflage and deception.

Now you should know, who to call, if you want your own 1:1 scale model of a Landkreuzer P.1000 in your garden. ?

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Academics get quite excited sometimes. No sympathy for him if he's wrong, he should admit it.

I think there is still a Tiger at the Tank Museum in Bovingdon UK. Should really go and have a look at it.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Academics get quite excited sometimes. No sympathy for him if he's wrong, he should admit it.

I think there is still a Tiger at the Tank Museum in Bovingdon UK. Should really go and have a look at it.

There is, AFAIR it is even restored well enough to be capable of driving, making it unique in the world.

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score

If you have a spare three and a half hours The Tank Museum streamed Tiger day last week on youtube if you wanna see 131 rolling.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So I watched "Ad Astra", since it was on Netflix. Gorgeous visuals, some cool designs, but my god what an utter trainwreck. It doesn't work as a science fiction movie, it doesn't work as a character piece, it doesn't work as an emotional drama... it just doesn't work at all, on every level. I don't get how time wasters like that ever get greenlit...

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
So I watched "Ad Astra", since it was on Netflix. Gorgeous visuals, some cool designs, but my god what an utter trainwreck. It doesn't work as a science fiction movie, it doesn't work as a character piece, it doesn't work as an emotional drama... it just doesn't work at all, on every level. I don't get how time wasters like that ever get greenlit...
I may sound very critical, but I speak without bad intentions: I sincerely believe that most of today's movies and series are a waste of time and money, that they do not qualify as entertainment. Many are very dark (Star Trek Picard) and others are excessively violent and morbid (The Boys).
In the case of Star Trek Picard, where are the trips to the stars? where is the science? Why does everything have to be resolved in the last chapter as if it were a Deux Ex Machina?
I don't mean to offend anyone, and I respect everyone regardless of their tastes because realistically you can't please everyone. But I honestly don't understand today's entertainment :confused: .

angrily throws the TV away and launches Orbiter

steph

Reaction score
Yeah, for some reason Netflix shows don't capture my attention too well. I guess it's due to all the recycled formulas. Too many films being poured out just for profit. The Witcher was so-so, but even that wasn't ideal. Even the scifi stuff seems mediocre.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, for some reason Netflix shows don't capture my attention too well.
That's just the thing, it's not a netflix show. This was a medium-budget holywood movie with Brad Pit that was actually in cinemas... The production values are outstanding, what I don't get is how anybody ever agreed to waste all that effort on a script like this.

As for Netflix shows... well, the iron rule goes, 90% of everything is crud. So if you have one streaming service, statistically 90% on that will be crud. Of the remaining 10%, 50% to 80% just don't interest a specific person, no matter how good they may be. It's always been that way, we just notice it more because most of us don't want to have 5 different subscriptions running to go "zapping"... I can live with that, though I guess at some point streaming services will have to start bundling up. At which point I guess it's basically just cable, except you can set your own schedule...

Even the scifi stuff seems mediocre.
Oh, if it was at least mediocre. So far "Lost in space" was the only Netflix-produced scifi show that I could halfways enjoy. Luckily, there's a good deal of third-party content around (I mean, you get basically all of star treck, that's worth something...). If they'd manage to onboard a couple more classic series, like the entire Stargate franchise and B5, it would actually be pretty decent.
But yeah, Netflix producing scifi usually has very underwhelming results. They just don't seem to have any producers on board that actually understand the genre...

Linguofreak

Reaction score
C3PO could never lead a battlecruiser squadron:

"It's against my programming to impersonate a Beatty".

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Regarding what I said about having wasted my time with Ad Astra, this evening I watched a cheesy scify B-movie from the early 90ies on youtube, and I had a surprisingly good time:

I'm not sure why old bad movies just seem to be more fun than new bad movies. Am I just being nostalgic?
On the other hand, that script made objectively more sense than the one of Ad Astra, and while it certainly wasn't any more realistic, I can somehow just overlook that because it ran with it and had fun, while the stunning visuals of Ad Astra seemed to be be begging for attention the entire time yapping "look at me, I'm so realistic!" while everything apart from the visuals felt like it should be in a cheesy B-movie...