Humor Random Comments Thread

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'm afraid you put too much effort into that one, I can't decipher it. I know what the linux command would do, I'm pretty sure that "cow orker" isn't a typo, and fairly confident that "chow" has something to do with the whole thing, and suspect that -R might stand for remuneration in this case. But either my linux-fu, my english, or my knowledge about cows aren't good enough to establish a meaningful connection between these things... :(

Let me guess:

chown : Change file ownership
-R = recursive

/var is usually for logs, print spools and databases.

changing the ownership of files there can mean that many processes stop to work, because they loose the access rights to their own files.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I'm afraid you put too much effort into that one, I can't decipher it. I know what the linux command would do, I'm pretty sure that "cow orker" isn't a typo, and fairly confident that "chow" has something to do with the whole thing, and suspect that -R might stand for remuneration in this case. But either my linux-fu, my english, or my knowledge about cows aren't good enough to establish a meaningful connection between these things... :(

"Cow orker" is the result of adding a space to "coworker". "Orker" isn't really a word, but it sounds like it might mean something indecent, so that makes it perfect for describing a coworker you're mad at.

Urwumpe has the Linux-fu down: my cow orker changed ownership on a top-level system directory tree and brought down the customer's website. In doing so, he neglected to follow our peer review process: if he had followed it, someone would have slapped him upside the head and asked him just what the hell he thought he was doing before he broke things.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
changing the ownership of files there can mean that many processes stop to work, because they loose the access rights to their own files.
Oh, you mean it isn't one of Lingufreaks overly intricate puns? That would be a bit embarassing... 😬

EDIT:

Urwumpe has the Linux-fu down
Whoops... Here I was wrecking my brain for at least 5 minutes trying to construct some connection between cows and the linux command. I was sure there was some brilliant joke hidden in there, the typo was too on the nose and the whole thing way too much on brand for you... 🤪

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Oh, you mean it isn't one of Lingufreaks overly intricate puns? That would be a bit embarassing... 😬

I thought the same first and returned to work. And then I saw it. :D

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
No, it's a rant about my evening at work.
Yeah, that's quite a bad evening...
Still, I just realised that it's called rumination, not remuneration. Two quite different things, it turns out. So at least I learned something out of it!

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Whoops... Here I was wrecking my brain for at least 5 minutes trying to construct some connection between cows and the linux command. I was sure there was some brilliant joke hidden in there, the typo was too on the nose and the whole thing way too much on brand for you... 🤪

No, "cow orker" isn't even my invention, it goes back at least to the days of Usenet. I think you missed it because, while your grammar and vocabulary are good, you don't have a good sense of the assumptions an English speaker might make about the meaning of a nonsense word based on its sound and context. If "orking" is something one might do to a cow, it sounds like something your mother might pay a worried visit to the local clergy over if she caught you doing it.

If you heard someone referred to as a "Kuh Orker" in German, what assumptions would you make about the meaning of the verb "orken"?

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Yeah, that's quite a bad evening...

It made me think of this post of yours:

EDIT: weird, the preview is of the first post on the page, not the post actually being referenced.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I just had a first daily scrum meeting from hell in my new project. Most people arrive 5 minutes late, others are 20 minutes, the communication discipline is bad, some appear to not even be prepared for that meeting. Then the meeting is used for discussing a team workflow issue, which should better be done in a separate meeting. Finally some people had to vent about the poor team organisation (which seems to be covered up by lots of documentation, that nobody cares about), but this should be done in the sprint retrospective.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If you heard someone referred to as a "Kuh Orker" in German, what assumptions would you make about the meaning of the verb "orken"?
I'd assume that I misheared, unless the other guy was a nerd, in which case I'd start looking for connections between their full statement and actual Orcs... In your case, my attention was more drawn to the word "cow", as it's an actual word, and I thought that probably there's some cow-related programmer joke hidden in there. I got some encouragement by chown, because cows are famous for chewing, drew a parallel between recursivenes and rumination, and then got stuck. Was wondering if there was some cow-related word that starts with "var" that might unlock the joke, but didn't find anything.

Turns out, I was focusing on the wrong half of that deliberate typo the whole time :ROFLMAO:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I mean, isn't the daily scrum supposed to last like 10, 15 minutes tops?

Exactly. And there are less reasons to use more than 15 minutes, if you have only two week sprints....

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So I want to print a png from Gimp. It has the right resolution for an A4 in 300 DPI, because I designed it that way. I know halfways how this stuff works, right? In any case, I fiddle around with the print size setup of the image, only to find that the print dialog ignores everything. All it has to do is print the thing in 300 DPI. I can't even set it up for that resolution for some weird reason, because the print dialog knows better which resolution I need (which is not the one I set up explicitly in the separately adjustable print parameters for the image), won't let me adjust it downward, and won't let me adjust the print area upward.

I fiddled around for about 20 minutes until I gave up, right-clicked the png in the windows explorer, chose print, didn't have to set up a single thing and got the thing printed exactly how I wanted. Seriously Gimp, sometimes I wonder just how hard can certain things be? My wife (a graphic designer by profession) had warned me some time ago that Gimp was fine for digital, but if you wanted stuff to go to print, you had no choice but throwing money at adobe. I'm starting to understand what she meant (though she was mostly refering to that CMYK thing that I still only halfways understand, as far as I remember).

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I fiddled around for about 20 minutes until I gave up, right-clicked the png in the windows explorer, chose print, didn't have to set up a single thing and got the thing printed exactly how I wanted. Seriously Gimp, sometimes I wonder just how hard can certain things be?

It also does that weird "professional software" BS where it splits up its save/load dialogs between "save/load" for its native format and "import/export" for everything else (as I recall, it didn't used to).

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
In the category of hypothetical memetics and language development, I wonder what a hypothetical orbital culture might call "putting propellant in your tanks". It's probably not going to be refuelling, because reaction mass isn't fuel. It's probably not going to contain any words like refill, top off, fill etc. because most of the time you're not going to want it to actually be full. You want it to be full enough for the next trip. I'm trying to find a cool, logical yet still understandable piece of lingo for the activity, but I can't come up with anything. Best I've got right now is to "prop up", which might be intuitive enough to understand when you know the context without requiring an explanation, but might also be rather confusing...

Linguofreak

Reaction score
In the category of hypothetical memetics and language development, I wonder what a hypothetical orbital culture might call "putting propellant in your tanks". It's probably not going to be refuelling, because reaction mass isn't fuel. It's probably not going to contain any words like refill, top off, fill etc. because most of the time you're not going to want it to actually be full. You want it to be full enough for the next trip. I'm trying to find a cool, logical yet still understandable piece of lingo for the activity, but I can't come up with anything. Best I've got right now is to "prop up", which might be intuitive enough to understand when you know the context without requiring an explanation, but might also be rather confusing...

"Refueling" might carry over by virtue of it being the most frequent propulsion related replenishment carried out, even if the substance loaded isn't fuel.

Other than that, "remassing"?