Humor Random Comments Thread

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Other than that, "remassing"?
I had thought about that, but the issue with it is that "Remass" is also used as a noun in a lot of science fiction that features rockets (short for eaction mass), so there might be confusion when the verb in the infinitive is identical with the noun. Though of course that's the case with a lot of words, but here the prefix would change meaning between the verb and the noun. Hm. Might give it another think. The similarity might actually be something that actually makes this more suitable as a term.

How about coaling?
🤣
The association with way too low massflow rates is too strong for my taste...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I had thought about that, but the issue with it is that "Remass" is also used as a noun in a lot of science fiction that features rockets (short for eaction mass), so there might be confusion when the verb in the infinitive is identical with the noun. Though of course that's the case with a lot of words, but here the prefix would change meaning between the verb and the noun. Hm. Might give it another think. The similarity might actually be something that actually makes this more suitable as a term.

Well, you can always use the naval terms bunkering or taking ballast. ;)

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I had thought about that, but the issue with it is that "Remass" is also used as a noun in a lot of science fiction that features rockets (short for eaction mass), so there might be confusion when the verb in the infinitive is identical with the noun.

The double meaning was selected with malice aforethought. :)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
And what joyful news. I am supposed to spontaneously organize a small training session for our Czech coworkers to be held next week.

For VBA.

With all due respect boss, you have a really weird sense of humour...

I am pretty sure, the last time I did "professional VBA"* was 9 years ago.

* Just hacking the code into the application without a clue, but with better documentation.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
🤣:unsure:🤣🤷‍♂️🤪🤣

I'm sorry. I know this is serious and I should feel sympathy or pitty and offer words of encouragment and support and all, but right now I just can't stop laughing. I'm really sorry! 🤣

Don't worry, this is laughable. If I am really the best teacher ( :ROFLMAO:) for VBA ( :ROFLMAO: ) in at the least northern Europe range of my company, we are really screwed....

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
The best teaching method is ‘go find VBA script that does similar to what you want then edit it’. That was always my method. Never good at scratch building.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The best teaching method is ‘go find VBA script that does similar to what you want then edit it’. That was always my method. Never good at scratch building.

I had to do some lot of scratch building in the past, because I needed scripts that didn't exist yet. Like solving layout problems on a timeline without using recursions...

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Beware of the localization nonsense! :p
You might be able to guess what "Select Case var Case 1 ..." might be in german locale ("Prüfe Fall var Fall 1 ..."),
but do you have the skills to guess it in Czech ;)
I hope your "VBA skills" don't have to be used in EXCEL 95

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Sine oder cosine, das ist die Frage...

This has been your daily dose of cross-language humor.

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
While I'm typing this comment, we are traveling with 230 km/s around the center of our galaxy (which takes 240 million years for one revolution). Simultaneously we orbit the Sun with about 30 km/s while we also rotate around our Earth's axis, depending on the latitude (mine is 51° north which translates to 1051 km/h). The Milky Way certainly also is moving with reference to other galaxies.

Not taking into account any other additional movements by foot/bike/ship/car/train/plane etc. on Earth.

This is very weird actually.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
For the meter, I guess?
No, actually, that's the proper way to say it. Saying "das ist die Frage", while being grammaticaly perfectly fine, sounds wrong. Anybody would throw in the specifying "hier" automatically. Don't ask me why. Knowing what I know about german I wouldn't be surprised if somebody formulated some esoteric grammatical rule to explain this, but I've never heard it.

Though it may be that it was just for the meter, and the conviction that "hier" just has to be part of that sentence might go back to the original translation of the work. It is the most famous shakespear quote in german. Close to 100% of germans will have heard the name shakespear, and probably 80% of them will know nothing more about him save for that quote, and almost everybody will make the association to shakespear whenever someone says "...Das ist hier die Frage" in any context whatsoever. So it's a possibility.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
It is the most famous shakespear quote in german. Close to 100% of germans will have heard the name shakespear, and probably 80% of them will know nothing more about him save for that quote, and almost everybody will make the association to shakespear whenever someone says "...Das ist hier die Frage" in any context whatsoever. So it's a possibility.

It's also about the most famous Shakespeare quote in English. 🙂

It kind of sounds wrong with anything more than "that is the question" to me, and I'm not really familiar with blank verse as poetry, so I don't have enough of a sense for how it's supposed to sound metrically to be bothered by the meter being perturbed by a missing syllable (plus, I think there may be intonation and thing changes between Shakespeare's dialect and my own that disrupt the meter). So the natural way for me to translate the line is without "hier".

But both the English original and the traditional German translation have exactly 11 syllables, so "originally done for meter, now tradition" is probably the answer.

I think there may also be some conflict between the cultural norms for European poetry vs. the natural timing structure of the Germanic languages that's causing my brain to prefer a rhythm that's less poetically "correct". The concept of meter we have in the modern West is built on poetic forms that originated with the mora-timed classical languages and continued in their syllable-timed descendants. But the Germanic languages are stress-timed (stresses are approximately evenly spaced, and intervening unstressed syllables are rushed), and in their native poetic forms (now rarely used), unstressed syllables don't count in the meter at all (there can be any number between two stressed beats):

BA-ba BLACK sheep HAVE you any WOOL?
YES sir, YES sir, THREE bags FULL.
ONE for my MASTer and ONE for my DAME,
and ONE for the LITtle boy who CRIES down the LANE.

we HEARD the HORNS in the HILLS RINGing
the SWORDS SHINing in the SOUTH-KINGdom
STEEDS went STRIDing to the STONing-LAND
as WIND in the MORNing. WAR was KINdled.

So if you're used to an English original like this:

to BE - or NOT - to BE, - THAT is - the QUEStion

The "poetically correct" way to translate that to German is maybe to rearrange the metrical feet a bit, but to keep the same number of syllables per foot:

SEIN od - er NICHT - sein, DAS - IST hier - die FRAge

But to someone whose two best languages are Germanic languages who lacks a literature degree, this may sound like a more natural translation:

SEIN - oder NICHT - SEIN, - DAS ist die - FRAge

And they may interpret the metrical structure of the original somewhat differently:

to BE - or NOT - to BE, - THAT is the - QUEStion

The only difference is in the arrangement of unstressed syllables in the first half of the line, which get glossed over in stress-timed languages.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Ba ba black sheep is a really weird specimen of poetry.

It's got medieval/modern European style rhyming, old Germanic meter with four stresses per line and no pattern in the unstressed syllables, and a good amount of Germanic-style alliteration, but not in keeping with the usual rules about which stresses in the line could alliterate with each other.