Researchers break Newton’s third law

sorindafabico

Reaction score
Researchers break Newton’s third law — with lasers

A team of researchers has managed to (very technically) break Newton’s third law of motion — that every action has an equal and opposite reaction — by accelerating laser pulses around a loop seemingly without any corresponding push-back.

The principles behind this breakthrough are airy new-physics ideas like “negative mass,” but the results are simple enough, and speak for themselves. With this team’s device, it’s possible for two pulses of light to both accelerate each other in the same direction through an optical cable, potentially paving the way for advances in everything from communications to computing — with just a hint of starship engineering thrown in for fun.

The team refers to their device as an optical diametric drive, a very tenuous but still instructive comparison that refers to a hypothetical engine tech that could get humans to the stars. A diametric drive is basically an anti-gravity system that uses a block of material with negative mass to create a negative gravitational field that would endlessly repel an object with actual mass (a spaceship). If that sounds like utter fantasy, that’s because it is; the concept of negative gravity has no meaning in quantum physics, which works using mass-squared equations that make all negative mass parameters into positive ones. The idea of moving through space thanks to a block of material with a never-ending propulsive ability calls to mind the perpetual motion machines of days gone by.

(...)

The link to the paper is at the end of the article.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Except it's about as legitimate as a wheel appearing to turn backwards when moving very fast. :p

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Looks like a standard case of "Title: Extraordinary New Science! Content: LOL, not really!" :p

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
how do you accelerate light? :blink:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
you have to feed the light with gummibear juice

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Interesting, but the news article, as written and with that title, does remind me of this guy:

5jn3m.jpg

Seriously, how do you accelerate light? Do you fire the laser in a train at 100km/h, so you get lightspeed+100km/h ?
And isn't that notion one of Einsteins mental experiments ? So if they broke something it has to be Relativity, not Newtons laws?

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, they could accelerate the group velocity of the laser pulses... but thats no change of impulse.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Reminds me of negative resistance in electronics.
With a clever op-amp configuration you can get an element that would work as if it have negative electric resistance.

Taken naively (i.e. by a news reporter who don't have a clue), you might think that now you can make a super refrigerator - an energy sink. Since heat is resistance times current square, negative resistance will give you negative heat!

While in practice, it's just a handy device to i.e. cancel out resistive imperfections in real components or make repeaters.

Max Pain

Reaction score
It really is a nice and legitimate experiment but it doesn't make a Dean drive work. This takes place inside of an optical lattice (an artificial crystal), negative masses are nothing peculiar there (the effective mass corresponds to the curvature of the dispersion relationship). The crystal can take the missing amounts of momentum.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Pretty much my first thoughts... maybe I should read the paper to find out what it's actually about?

I had tried so, but then decided, that this isn't about physics, but rather about cryptography.

MattBaker

Reaction score
So if they broke something it has to be Relativity, not Newtons laws?

If they'd have broken relativity the Universe would try to trick us by delaying time for GPS satellites.:lol:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
So are those photons travelling faster than light? <- This sounds like something out of Troll Science...

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You simply turn your torch on and point it ahead of you; and start running.!

That will change the frequency, but not the speed. :lol:

llarian

Reaction score
Reminds me of the original claims and publication pertaining to "cold fusion". Peer review? Independent third party replication of results and data?

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Reminds me of the original claims and publication pertaining to "cold fusion". Peer review? Independent third party replication of results and data?

There's nothing wrong with their science. Only the headline.