Search Ship building blocks?

Sky Captain

Reaction score
Is there an addon that allows you to construct interplanetary exploration ship of your own design in Earth orbit from multiple component modules launched with XR5 or any other heavy lift launcher like building a space station from multiple blocks. It would be very cool to cobble together your own ship and go exploring the solar system. I`m thinking most of the already existing station building blocks could be used with an addition of powerful nuclear propulsion modules and RCS system.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Not really. You can use UCD to add modules to existing ships but that's about it.

I've always wanted to build this which is a highly modular Earth-Moon-Mars freighter.

conversations1.jpg

Usonian

Historic Ship & Base Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You should check out the work of Greg Burch.

I think Station Building Blocks includes a Propulsion Module. Becuse it is all done with Spacecraft 3 you can easily "goose" the thrust. To increase available burn time, increase the fuel mass or the ISP. Just use a text editor to open the appropriate .ini file in the Config\Spacecraft directory.

Playing with SC3 .ini files is a great way to learn.

Sky Captain

Reaction score
I think Station Building Blocks includes a Propulsion Module. Becuse it is all done with Spacecraft 3 you can easily "goose" the thrust. To increase available burn time, increase the fuel mass or the ISP. Just use a text editor to open the appropriate .ini file in the Config\Spacecraft directory.

Playing with SC3 .ini files is a great way to learn.

I tried that only problem is with RCS system to acquire correct orrientation because you can`t control the whole station/ship as a single entity as it is with a proper ship.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This has been discussed ad nauseum in the past, I think there is a huge thread on M6 about it. The conclusion most of the add-on pros came to was that there is no way to do this without shutting down Orbiter, and replacing your "ship of modules" with an identical-looking ship which represents the "finished construction" version.

What I just descriobed is easily donw right now, and I've though of doing it. The problem is that the "immersionists" hate the idea of having to stop the sim and fiddle with the scenario file before continuing, so I don't think it would be satisfying. I happen to agree with them, although I can go either way.

Sky Captain

Reaction score
This has been discussed ad nauseum in the past, I think there is a huge thread on M6 about it. The conclusion most of the add-on pros came to was that there is no way to do this without shutting down Orbiter, and replacing your "ship of modules" with an identical-looking ship which represents the "finished construction" version.

What I just descriobed is easily donw right now, and I've though of doing it. The problem is that the "immersionists" hate the idea of having to stop the sim and fiddle with the scenario file before continuing, so I don't think it would be satisfying. I happen to agree with them, although I can go either way.

Then seems I will be stuck to using already existing ship as a base and simply ad modules to it.

dirtyname

Reaction score
Then seems I will be stuck to using already existing ship as a base and simply ad modules to it.

Does anyone have a hack or a method for achieving correct orientation with a "stack" of vessels? Would be awesome to build a Mars transit vessel large enough that the astronauts wouldn't go stark raving mad. Using Burchisimo's building blocks I can create such a ship, I just can't control it. So, anyone have any advise on how they simulate such a flight?

Tommy

Reaction score
The conclusion most of the add-on pros came to was that there is no way to do this without shutting down Orbiter, and replacing your "ship of modules" with an identical-looking ship which represents the "finished construction" version.
There's no need to stop the scenario. You can spawn a new vessel then delete the old, the way the DGIV does when you wreck. Alternately, you can use the same master module, and when a new section (using a "slave" module, or even SC3) is added the Master module adds the mesh in the correct position, adjusts the mass and COG, and adjusts locations/strenghts of the RCS to compensate.

Not saying it's simple, especially if you want to allow for multiple different vessel stacks, but it's doable.

For that matter, you can make all the modules assemble by docking, and have a custom module for the "control module" and adjust RCS either by moving the thrusters, or using Dragonfly type RCS adjustment.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
What about this? [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3819"]Vessel Stack[/ame]

Black dog

Reaction score
As a couple of the replies here have suggested, if you are really keen and crazy enough to attempt it, you could try doing some spacecraft 3 coding to make one or more super powerful and massive customised control modules which you dock everything else onto. You need to account for the combined masses of all your various bits, both for attitude control and for forward thrust. You need to try to put your bits together so you do not have a bad torque away from the centre of gravity when you engage forward thrust. You may need to use the remote vessel control from the inbuilt scenario editor to maneuvre. If you use lots of bits, you will find frame rates may take a nosedive depending on your PC. Good luck.

Goth

Occasional orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score
Try [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3060"]this AddOn[/ame] too.