Request Skydiver

Tsynique

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hello,

Because Orbiter has a decent atmospheric physics model why not exploit it by making not just cool aircrafts but also a skydiving simulation. I make addons myself but I am not very good at aerodynamics and what I tried doing myself was far from realistic experience. If someone who is good at aerodynamics would be interested in making such an addon I could provide all that I know about skydiving and parachuting from my own training and experience.

Cheers!

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
What about orbital skydiving?
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3732"]UMmu reentry pack[/ame]

Dig Gil

LearninProgram,Slackin DigTech
Reaction score
Website
dig-orbiter.blogspot.com
It's not the same...
Anyway, Tsynique, you have parachutes in UMMU (by DanSteph) that I question the realism because the astronauts are always pointing their feet down, but it works!
I'll bet asking a stupid question, but I don't know about aerodynamics myself: have you read [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3640"]Ar81's Tutorials[/ame]?

Tsynique

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Artlav,I haven't yet tried that addon and I bet it's real fun but it's the thing :)

Dig, the link you gave might even be useful. I'm at work right now so I can't try it out on what I have done so far but I will later tonight. I will also try the UMMU parachutes.
Actually I do have a lot of ideas on how to make the skydiver fly realistically but I don't think that tutorial will be enough for me to make realistic parachute canopy dynamics.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I was thinking of adding in a docking port to the STA then using UMMU to "simulate" parachute evacuation and water landing survial :lol:

Tsynique

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hmm.. I tried the UMMU parachutes and realized that it has got nothing to do with my initial idea. First of all, the parachute is a non-controllable cone shape and I had a wing (rectangle) shape in mind. Like this:

parachute2.jpg

Secondly, the 'skydiving' part is really just an astronaut falling from the sky :)

Dig Gil

LearninProgram,Slackin DigTech
Reaction score
Website
dig-orbiter.blogspot.com
That's why I said "It's not the same...". I've seen skydivers on television and photography: their movements/rotation/translation in air are fluid and somewhat unstable depending on movement/limbs' position.

I'll read the tutorial of the link to see how I can help, but I guess you should make each limb with different aerodynamic properties, the a way to animate these limbs changing also the aerodynamic like what happens with variable wing geometry aircrafts.