Gaming Space Engineers (now in BETA)

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I'm a little concerned about security implications of the code--what limitations are imposed on it?
AFAIK, some time ago there was a post or a link to article in a post about whitelisted classes/methods/interfaces/functions which can be used by mods, and I've seen recently some posts in the Steam hub requesting whitelisting some additional classes, functions or methods, so I think there are some constraints set to what can be done with those scripts, but I haven't played SE for some month now to test anything of it yet.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I'm a little concerned about security implications of the code--what limitations are imposed on it?
Huh?
I would have expected them to have more sense than to actually compile and run the code externally.
Just pick or make an interpreter and run it inside your own in-game VM, and security issues vanish at their root.
It's also so much simpler to do it that way, rather than to carry a whole compiler/linker/library pack along with your game, that i wouldn't have expected anyone to even consider the unsecure option.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I'm a little concerned about security implications of the code--what limitations are imposed on it? If (for example) I'm hosting a Space Engineers server, would it be possible for someone to do malicious things via this code?

No, there are several restrictions outlined in the guide.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Also, for modding, you also use C# modules... you could pretty sure place some bad code there...

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Also, for modding, you also use C# modules... you could pretty sure place some bad code there...
I think the difference is that you should know ahead of time what's in the mods you put on your server, but you don't know what's in the scripts of someone randomly joining your server.
I trust all security issues will be handled though.
Currently, there seems to be a simple exploit to get around many limitations due to a lack of sanitation.
http://forums.keenswh.com/post/exploit-custom-classes-namespaces-and-static-methods-7225801

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Oh hey look, Yet Another Medieval Sandbox Game! Aren't there already like ten of them on Steam?

At least this one's alpha release video looks more complete than several of the others are several years on...

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Update 01.066

Update 01.066:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pq-R3WDVbM"]Space Engineers - Update 01.066: GPS, Text panel, Mod sorting - YouTube[/ame]

Gerdih

Reaction score
I got some questions for you guys:

Is this game already enjoyable on multiplayer?

if Yes.

Is Orbiter Forum already having a server for the multiplayer?

if Yes.

Is the server like the Minecraft one? Or does the rules include fights and looting? (since they are more awesome here than Minecraft)

That's all I need to know to start thinking on buying this :p

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I got some questions for you guys:

Is this game already enjoyable on multiplayer?

if Yes.

Is Orbiter Forum already having a server for the multiplayer?

if Yes.

Is the server like the Minecraft one? Or does the rules include fights and looting? (since they are more awesome here than Minecraft)

That's all I need to know to start thinking on buying this :p

As far as fights go in this game... you spend 10 hours making a warship, then 5 minutes in a fight to wreck it.

Gerdih

Reaction score
I guess the point is to get a benefit, isnt it? you got a damaged ship but hours of material from another user

Enviado desde mi GT-I8160P usando Tapatalk 2

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I guess the point is to get a benefit, isnt it? you got a damaged ship but hours of material from another user

Generally the fight ends when one ship gets so heavily beaten that its engines, reactors and weapon systems are completely destroyed on the side that was facing the fire.

After you "defeat" the enemy ship, it takes a significant amount of effort to capture it. As far as resources go, it's better to just make a giant drilling ship and start mining asteroids on a massive scale.

Gerdih

Reaction score
Well, as all sandboxes games imagination is the main factor on this things.

The possibilities are numerous. You can construct a giant base with a team, you can form a pirate band, you can be a miner and trade...

Maybe when you defeat an enemy you can just take,(or dock with yours?) the ship and take it to your base, or the main base of the server, who knows ( being certain bases safe zones? -> rules ) And then there you can take the resources from it.

I just imagine, I dont know if this game is complex as minecraft. For comparasion: Imagine beating a ship with a chest full of diamonds!!! ajajajaja