Project Space Shuttle Cygnus

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Here is 18:00 :blink:! OK, Yes, they're in the correct scale to each other...

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

The last thing today: I'm offering a launch opportunity for payloads created or imaginated by orbinauts. Any payload that you want to create or if you have some diagrams of your ideas, send me and I'll put this with the main release of the Cygnus! The categories are:
-Station Modules
-Lunar station cargos
-LEO spacecrafts
-Geostationary spacecrafts
-Interplanetary probes
-Space Telescopes
Please, any idea is welcome!

NovaSilisko

The Siliskoiest of Siliskos
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Here is 18:00 :blink:! OK, Yes, they're in the correct scale to each other...

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

The last thing today: I'm offering a launch opportunity for payloads created or imaginated by orbinauts. Any payload that you want to create or if you have some diagrams of your ideas, send me and I'll put this with the main release of the Cygnus! The categories are:
-Station Modules
-Lunar station cargos
-LEO spacecrafts
-Geostationary spacecrafts
-Interplanetary probes
-Space Telescopes
Please, any idea is welcome!

What dimensions should a payload be?

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
25 meters long and 5.5 meters of diameter without the EDO-Pallet and without the Docking section. With the Docking section and wit the EDO-pallet 18.2 meters long. It's the most accurate measures that I could find...

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Wow! Ok, maybe I'll get back to meshing! Any weight limits? I'm thiking of
something Spacelab-like (with interior, if possible for me).

I think it would be good for that to get the exact height of the center of the
airlock above the payload bay floor and the length and diameter of the airlock.

It would be great if you could cut the whole bay out of the mesh and give it to
us to use it as a guide for payload size.

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm having some problems to measure the exact distance, but is lower than the space shuttle airlock and the size is almost the same. Keep working and send me the meshes, any problems I'll make corrections to the models. A spacelab-like module would be great with my default EDO-pallet!

Hurricane

Grinfeld Aerospace guy
Reaction score
Felipi, I've started the work over it, and it's going out great.
I think that I'll have it ready by this evening, if not, then it will be ready tomorrow.

~Take care! :tiphat:

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 PM ----------

Annndddddd....... FINISHED! :D
Other than some artifacts which I'm sure you can tackle yourself, it's great. :)

I can't zip it, PM me your e-mail adress and I'll send it to you. :tiphat:

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I can't send a PM, but I'll post it here: [email protected]

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

Well, I got bad news... I received the Hurricane's model, but the convertion had some porblems so I can't work with it. Today I spent two hours trying to create the front section, tomorow the model will be complete. And some good news... And a good thing. Today I saw Venus with my telescope! :) It's beatiful! And coming back to the Cygnus project, some payload out there?

---------- Post added Feb 1st, 2012 at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was Jan 31st, 2012 at 07:48 PM ----------

I hate create the windows!!! It's impossible! Any tip or trick on how to create the nose and the windows?

Hurricane

Grinfeld Aerospace guy
Reaction score
I hate create the windows!!! It's impossible! Any tip or trick on how to create the nose and the windows?

The way I do them is first make the frame and then model around... See here what I mean:

Good luck! :tiphat:

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have good news! I imported the Hurricane's model uing lightwave, exported to a .obj file and imported the file using 3ds max! Now I can work with it. Today I stopped working, but in the last hour I was correcting some bugs and making the model smoother. It's perfect and will make my work easier. Tomorrow I'll finish with the front section, create the PB and import the payloads of the old model to the new model! And here we go!

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Ok, completed first plans for my payload:

The main part is a presurized section that takes half of the payload bay.
It contains big windows and a big telescope, there's a lot of space for science payloads.
I'll also add some optional add-ons for the main part, like additional seats and sleeping places for bigger crews.

The second part is optional, and contains one docking port for stations and US spacecraft (APAS-95) and another designed for Russian/European spacecraft (Modern Russian probe and drogue docking system).
It is usable as an airlock, but only when combined with part three.

The third part, also optional, includes life support systems, radiators, solar panels and CMGs. With all three parts combined, the whole module can be released and used as a monolithic space station.

I'll make the next updates in an own thread.

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Interesting! I'll follow this project!

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/picture.php?albumid=686&pictureid=6903
picture.php

Okay, it's just a start but I'll speed up, here is a very simple model of the Hurricane's nose a little bit adapted and the PB. It's full of bugs, but first I'll finish it for don't spend too much time correcting bugs...

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

OK, I'm having problems with the nose mesh, it's not compatible with the importer/exporter, but I'll solve this at the end!

---------- Post added Feb 3rd, 2012 at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous post was Feb 2nd, 2012 at 09:39 PM ----------

Hi! I created another nose almost identical to the picture above. Now I'm creating some details. And there's a lack of interest on this project! But I'm working every day on it! And do you have a payload idea? Please contact me! :cheers:
Thanks!

Hurricane

Grinfeld Aerospace guy
Reaction score
I'm so sorry that you had problems with my model, I just wanted to contribute! :thumbup:

I'm also very happy that you managed to recreate the nose. Good luck, Oz. :tiphat:

Sierra719

X-71 Pilot
Reaction score
So the Shuttle's done, and now you're working on the Plane for takeoff?

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The shuttle isn't ready, I'm recreating the meshes because of some problems, but this remake will be easy! And yes, soon I'l create the carrier and the auxiliary boosters...

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Quick update

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/1484048/3/Orbiter/Dev/Spacelab 2?h=d2f80c

Here is it, the first Spacelab-2 science module with the designation S2P-1. Should fit into the bay with no problems, and also fits into a Space Shuttle with a special tunnel. All with interior, hatches can be opened. Now I just need to add some struts to keep it from bouncing around in the bay... :lol:

EDIT: Make sure to take a look at that link from time to time, I'm both to lazy and in lack of time to create a good thread right now. But I'm very close to a first test mission on the Space Shuttle.

Last edited:

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
OK, today I don't worked too much because of personal things, but tomorrow is Sunday and I'll create the most important thing of a Space Shuttle: The Wings! Now that I'm recreating everything, I updated the aft section to fit with the auxiliary boosters. Today I corrected some of thwe last bugs with the nose, created the ODS and the APAS, created the heat shield and the EDO-pallet. Finally I created the aft section.
picture.php

And please, comment! The Cygnus is going to be the first of a series of my personal spacecrafts, so I need ideas, comments, tips and tricks, anything! Let's go!
Thanks!

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

Hi again! I've created the carrier. I had an idea of a solar-powered carrier, and here is the very first model:
picture.php

I still don't created a real texture or the scram engines interiors, but it's just the first model...
Thanks!

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Will you do a space capsule and launcher eventually?

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes! The capsule is called Andromeda and the rocket is called Ganymede!