Updates SpaceX Falcon 9 F2 updates

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I don't get it... A huge quantity of propellant would be required to brake the capsule in a controlled fashion (allowing to aim an helipad). :idk:

Not really... you start slowing down already at subsonic speed, about 300 m/s. Even if you include gravity and slow down most of the time at 2.5 g, you would land after about 25 seconds and need a total DV of 545 m/s.

Would mean 20% of the spacecraft mass after reentry has to be fuel if you use solid propellants, if you use storable propellants or kerosene/LOX, you need 15% fuel mass, with hydrogen/LOX, you would need just 12%.

Full parachutes for landing take 4%, if you do just ocean landing.

Jarvitä

Reaction score
You'll also need some propellant to aim the capsule at the helipad, a lifting-body reentry isn't anywhere near that accurate. Unless they mean "helipad" as in "look, we painted an H over the Nevada desert".

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Thats for the fuel what about the tank and engine and piping for it?

Since it is integrated into the capsule structure, not that much, about 2%-5% of the propellant mass.

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 PM ----------

You'll also need some propellant to aim the capsule at the helipad, a lifting-body reentry isn't anywhere near that accurate. Unless they mean "helipad" as in "look, we painted an H over the Nevada desert".

Much better than the parachute landing. With GPS or pretty good IMUs, you can get at a point with about 50m accuracy, but parachutes then inflate this to about 1.5 kilometers.

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
Here's the NASA/SpaceX post-landing press conference (in 4 parts).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOfj-k_Irpc"]YouTube - NASA and SpaceX Press Conference After Falcon 9 Launch with Dragon Aboard Part 4[/ame]

anemazoso

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
After watching the video and seeing the pictures posted on spaceflightnow I would really like to know more about the fireball that was right in the middle of the tower just after the F9 started to rise from the ground. :hmm:

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
After watching the video and seeing the pictures posted on spaceflightnow I would really like to know more about the fireball that was right in the middle of the tower just after the F9 started to rise from the ground. :hmm:
It was there on Flight 1 also. Looks like ignition of residual propellant from the second stage T-0 umbilical. EDIT: See at 0:19

Sky Captain

Reaction score
Now it is going to be the most expensive cheese in the world

Mantis

Reaction score
Well done SpaceX. I haven't read through all the posts so can someone tell me how "complete" the Dragon spacecraft was? Was it basically boilerplate or was it close to being complete (i.e. ready to carry astronauts)?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well done SpaceX. I haven't read through all the posts so can someone tell me how "complete" the Dragon spacecraft was? Was it basically boilerplate or was it close to being complete (i.e. ready to carry astronauts)?

A complete Dragon, but no crew capability, the Dragon is currently designed as cargo transport to and from the ISS, and will be modified for astronauts in a second generation.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
It should be quite similar to the final cargo configuration. Human rated version is still a couple of years off.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
Depends on what visit means. NASA always said that it should only get as close as 100m on the next mission, but it is sure not impossible to extend the mission to move closer if station keeping and backing up from this position works.

To me, it seems silly to go all that way, and not go the last mile. Are SpaceX really going to launch another flight, just to test moving from 100m to 30m? As Elon Musk pointed out yesterday, both ATV and HTV docked on their first flights.

If Dragon does get permission to come close enough to be grappled by the SSRMS, then they might as well put some non-critical cargo in there - it's pointless to berth an empty spacecraft. It could dispose of some trash from the PMM, too.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Meanwhile, the company confirms a cache of secondary U.S. government CubeSat payloads have separated from the rocket.

Along with Dragon, there were 6 nanosatellites launched on Falcon 9. From zarya.info:
The Dragon's unpressurised Trunk Section remained attached to the Falcon upper stage. It held P-POD CubeSat dispensers with six satellites that were released soon after the Dragon spacecraft separated:
  1. SMDC-ONE (stands for Operational Nanosatellite Effect) - a store and forward communications satellite for the US Army Space and Missile Command, part of an ongoing experiment to evaluate the use of nanosats in tactical communications (CubeSat size 3U),

2. CubeSat for the Los Alamos National Laboratory with classified payload, probably for energetic charged particle measurements (size 1U?),

3. CubeSat for the Los Alamos National Laboratory with classified payload, probably for energetic charged particle measurements (size 1U?),

4. Colony 1 (#1) CubeSat for the National Reconnaissance Office with classified payload (size 3U),

5. Colony 1 (#2) CubeSat for the National Reconnaissance Office with classified payload (size 3U),

6. CAERUS - an amateur radio CubeSat built by the University of Southern California (size 1U).