THE 1-G SPACESHIP

Wolfer

Miniature Giant Space Hamster
Reaction score
Um, or you could have toilets and drinking recepticals that can be adapted to either 1 or zero G?
I think it would still add weight. But as dougkeenan it's not a matter of fuel efficiency. And, thinking about it, on trip like this, who cares about having a heavy toilet:lol:.

flaugher

Reaction score
Hey, if they build the Firefly Sport, it already has a bathroom, AND you can play Monopoly. Of course the bathroom is unisex ... but I guess that would be ok ... I mean ... I wonder if it has a shower? And how big are the closets?
:blink:

Oh, and I wonder just how far we are from having a propulsion that could make this happen.

I know, I know. Everybody's gonna probably say ... FOREVER!

flaugher

Reaction score
In all honesty, here's what I could see in the future. On the day we DO develop a 1-G spaceship, space travel will open up in ways we probably haven't yet thought of. Whereas we may not be able to trek the stars until we figure out how to overcome excessive G's to achieve light speed and beyond, a fleet of 1-G ships would definately give us a lot to do in our own backyard. Mars would be only 4 days away. The moons of Jupiter and Saturn are less than a month. Suppies would be cut down, normal people could make the trips, and orbital bases and logistics centers could be established in short order. There are so many benefits of this leap of tech which we are already exploring. Warp engines are probably pie in the sky for now, as far as I'm concerned. Constant acceleration at 10 m/s/s however is just a matter of going forward from where we are. I think if NASA would put a priority on it, we'd be there before most of us die and the public would be so inspired that the world would never be the same again.

Jarvitä

Reaction score
We already have a technology for such a spaceship. You "just" need a big enough rocket with a large enough fuel tank to maintain 1g trust for several hours (Earth-Moon) or days (Mars). Which is only about an order of magnitude above anything we've launched off our rock thus far.

And getting really close to the speed of light is "just" a matter of maintaining 1G trust for almost a year. ;)