Gaming The Kerbal Space Program - Version 1.2.x

iamwearingpants

Just an Earth-bound misfit, I
Reaction score
i want to no how to make it fly in circles without rockets ?? "orbit"

Launch straight at first, and gently move towards the horizon. Try to get your sideways (horizontal) speed very high, but your up (vertical) speed low. (But don't fall) If you make it around the planet without falling back into the ground and atmosphere, you're in orbit. Good Luck!

Jarvitä

Reaction score
And now I got...12G maximal, 10496km!

The figure for the max. acceleration in the post-flight report isn't very meaningful right now, the staging sequences alone produce huge jolts of acceleration, the parachute fully inflating gives around 12G, and landing 60G.

HarvesteR

Reaction score
The figure for the max. acceleration in the post-flight report isn't very meaningful right now, the staging sequences alone produce huge jolts of acceleration, the parachute fully inflating gives around 12G, and landing 60G.

Hmm, true. I suppose I should average out this value across a couple of frames... to get a "Max. Sustained G Force" or something...

Well spotted!

Cheers

Fizyk

Reaction score
Website
ebvalaim.net
This game is awesome :D I'm now conducting experiments to measure the mass and radius of the planet. First approximate values I got are [math]M=5.2 \times 10^{22} \; kg[/math] and [math]R = 606 \; km[/math] ;)

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Thanks, those estimates came in useful: if they're halfway correct I'm non on an escape trajectory, which would be bad.

However, of someone manages to get into orbit with one stage left, they could deorbit.

Jarvitä

Reaction score
Haha, finally made it into a 90-350km orbit. Next challenge: Upgrade this monstrosity of a stack so there's space for a retro stage.

I love this, it's a real challenge, like playing orbiter with just the surface MFD.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Indeed. I took off straight-up and now I'm at 1700km and still going. It should be possible to swap vessels by swapping the last saved file. It can be loaded by going directly to the pad, if I understood it correctly on the official forum.

Turbinator

Reaction score
After playing more than 5 hours combined, these are my recommendations;

In order of most desired.

1. Making the T key for SAS modules a toggle (on/off), so you do not have to keep holding it
2. Make the game continue playing when you shift focus away from game window. Have a pause/un-pause button.
3. Ability to SAVE your creation.
4. "Side Stack" option, for when you want to add new modules somewhere in the middle of your rocket. Right now you have to erase EVERYTHING below a certain point, just to add a module in the middle. Create an ability to set aside a stack, without deleting it, while you insert something, and then take that stack back and re-attach it.
5. Easier to mange, expanded view, stage configuration and set-up screen. As of now it can get extremely frustrating, and very confusing to managing and configure stage ignition and separation when you have a lot of modules.
6. Time acceleration. Waiting during the drift phase to see if you achieved orbit, or how high you get is painful.
7. Mini retro-rockets, for stage separation. Right now when you separate a module it drifts sloooowly away, and if you activate your next stages engines before you are clear you risk blowing yourself up. And while you wait, you loose precious momentum. Or, sometimes you separate, and the bottom stage still sticks to your stack. We need mini stage-sep retro-rockets, that you attach to a module, once this module separates the retrorockets engage, and quickly pull away the module from your rocket.
8. Escape stage rocket

3126541325_bcd85ea234.jpg

s-2011-may-4-005.jpg

Last edited:

iamwearingpants

Just an Earth-bound misfit, I
Reaction score
I may have achieved orbit WITH retros! I feel awesome. Now I have to wait to see if I make it all the way around!

Oh, and liquid engines ARE restartable. Look at the config files for them!
The particle effect just doesn't turn off. :thumbup:

Fizyk

Reaction score
Website
ebvalaim.net
More precise estimates:
[math]M = 5.2622 \times 10^{22} \; kg[/math][math]R = 598.3 \; km[/math]
With these values, I got this:
ksp.png

:p

Also, this gives surface gravity of 9.81 m/s^2, which, I think, is an indication that those are good estimates :p

communist

Resident Crazy Person
Reaction score
The capsule just passed 1337 km! :bananadance:
It still has a velocity of 1500 m/s, don't think it's coming down anytime soon, or ever, really :rofl:

I'm loving it. Even my little brother built a rocket and got it up to 20 km!

UPDATE: Oops, the planet is out of view now. I guess I had a little too much power :p
i think you have to many solid rockets

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Too many rockets you say?

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

This thing is a 6 stage flying trash can. First stage has 15 rockets and every stage after that has 3 less...
The whole stack wiggles and wobbles in flight. It's hilarious.

Jebediah seems to be high and Bob seems to be scared of heights...