Gaming The Kerbal Space Program - Version 1.2.x

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I guess an update to 0.22 is being prepared to be released soon - the "experimentals" branch on Steam has been updated an hour ago.

2Gm over cxc

Reaction score
HarvesteR, because of you and your program, I have not touched Orbiter2010 in months, and am running a large deficit in sleep.

Seriously though, fantastic job. :thumbup:

I liked your OP too. This is definitely not Orbiter, it is KSP. And while I love the realism and challenge of Orbiter, KSP compliments it tremendously on whole different level. Not only is it more "fun," but the deep level of accessible design and experimentation fills a niche that Orbiter lacked, and one that I will probably notice next time I pick up Orbiter.

Awesome work man. :cheers:

P.S. I really like the direction you are taking in terms of design. Especially with the new career mode.

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Next big thing would be weather and climates. There are so many things I'd like to discuss on this topic since it's my M.Sc. subject ... Later when I get some time off I'll write up some analyses on what would the patterns look like on Eve, Kerbin, Duna and Laythe.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
So I decided to restart the career mode once again, make a new flag, install KerbPaint, and instead of doing suborbital, orbital and then Mun's orbit, I've gone to Mun technically on the 1st flight.

The first rocket didn't even leave the launch pad, but was used as a rechargeable battery to transmit science gathered from around the launch pad:

That unlocked all required components to build my 1st flight worthy Mun rocket:

I didn't risk landing on the Mun on that first flight yet, because I needed fuel for powered landing on Kerbin, but instead only did a couple of rounds around it, lowering and raising the orbit to recharge capsules' batteries with the engine's generator (to transmit some of earlier gathered science), until the end of fuel in the penultimate stage, which I sent for lithobraking on the Mun.

(Sorry, no screenshots from that stage of the mission, but anyway, there was nothing interesting, just the Mun from 10K-500K altitude).

To leave some fuel required for powered landing I needed to deorbit and land on the dark side of the planet, or otherwise wait a few hours for the next orbit.

Thanks to the quick save I did before approaching Kerbin, I was able to return it without crashing in mountains (which I didn't see in darkness). The lander lost its parachute on the 1st try, because mountains made it opened much earlier than I expected, and I engaged the engine much too late.

After a few hours spent in darkness after the successful landing, Jeb and Bob left their capsules to check where they landed (at least they didn't land on a nearby tree :p -- the mountains where I crashed on the 1st try are visible in background):

I think the amount of science gathered is not bad as for the 2nd mission in career mode (and I can use solar panels and batteries instead of engines and multiple capsules in the next flight):

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
That "Hourglass" 2-Kerbals capsule concept is... interesting :)

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
670CA71DE5F7B0C317B95982BCBB095F03332D55

The long walk after the yet more inept driving.

FF27F9292D7F71F72144C223F4A440B201454D0F

Post flight pod i tend to use early on.

556B08B5817DD02C9F23E3D869EB0B6B76641C85

And an Advanced Mun Lander.

Last edited:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I wish there was an inline mystery goo container. If you're transmitting data back (and there's really no reason not to, since you don't lose very much compared to returning), you only need one and the second for balance reasons is just wasted mass.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
you only need one and the second for balance reasons is just wasted mass.

Well, honestly, I do that mostly for aesthetical reasons. The overpowered reaction wheels can handle that imbalance easily. In atmosphere, just add stuff with comparable aerodynamic drag on the other side. ;)

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Don't really need reaction wheels on a small probe if it's not unbalanced, so you need either the reaction wheels or the extra goo container :)

I had a probe that was plenty easy to turn without reaction wheels...but it had a very-slightly-off-center goo container that made it nearly impossible to control during burns.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
A bit off-topic: I've had an idea on how to synchronize ksp saves across multiple PCs using dropbox, which could also be usable for a co-op save without much save-juggling.

What I've done is just use symbolic links in KSP's "saves" folder which point to the real savegame folder, which I placed in a dropbox folder. It appears to be working flawlessly after a quick test.

(I just threw it here, it's a very simple trick but maybe some of you are interested :) )

ApolloFZ

Reaction score
I have a question: how can I remove all KSP mods without unistalling the game?

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
how can I remove all KSP mods without unistalling the game?

You go to "GameData" subdirectory of KSP and delete all except "Squad" folder. If you've used older add-ons, you may also need to delete: "Internals", "Parts", "PluginData", "Plugins", "Resources", "sounds" in the KSP's root folder. After that, the only added "mods" left should be in Ships, but to delete them you need to find them by hand, but they are only loaded on demand, so you can leave them there without any problems.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
So, my first 0.22 Duna expedition is starting to materialize at a very slow pace.

Core module plus one of the landers:
WrGYZ5P.png

Launch of the nuclear tug stage:
h0Qymzp.png

eNmowHs.png

First stage separation:
Nx53i4D.png

Docking of the second lander:
g5msLD7.png

Lander test on the Mun, unkerballed:
eBBYjHR.png

Launching into the horizon:
5QYU0LX.png

On a sidenote: finally managed passing under the research center bridge without snapping my wing off! Yay! (Bill was the pilot)
TDrICsV.png

SSTO testing: still got no idea on how to attach landing legs, plus on parachute inflation the joint under the capsule breaks so that it just precariously sits there, above the rest.
ORo9j0B.png

W9PFEnB.png

VRHhNbQ.png

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Continuing the career mode where I left it. The 2nd launch will target Mun's surface.

(If you can't see images in this post, it means Steam cloud has some issues.)

The lander will use the hourglass capsule design once again to send 2 Kerbals to the Mun and back:

Some fooling around and testing jet packs in space before MOI, and saying goodbye to the Kerbin Departure Stage (which will be scheduled for Munar lithobraking):

After a few low (9600 m) orbits to find a good place for landing site, Jeb is knocking the hatch of Bill's capsule to wake him up for landing:

Here's the landing site, with a big white dot behind the lander chosen as the first target for exploration:

And here's the target of the Kerbal expedition. It's 2.6 km from the landing site, but unfortunately the surface sample and EVA report from it is the same as at the landing site:

They could probably go outside the big crater to get some more science, but they'd most likely need to go back to the lander on their little feet instead of jet packs, so they decided to go back to Kerbin instead.

And going back home:

This will at least unlock better solar arrays and batteries, some new experiments, RCS, struts and fuel lines: