Gaming The Kerbal Space Program - Version 1.2.x

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have another suggestion: Please make the gimball thingy at the bottom movable. I hate it where it is now, covering up half of the rocket...

iamwearingpants

Just an Earth-bound misfit, I
Reaction score
I'm making a larger fuel tank, using the original tank files. Everything is good except for the textures.

Code:
Direct3D:
    Version:  Direct3D 9.0c [nv4_disp.dll 6.14.11.9621]
    Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
    Vendor:   NVIDIA
    VRAM:     768 MB
    Caps:     Shader=30 DepthRT=1 NativeDepth=1 NativeShadow=1 DF16=0 DF24=0 INTZ=1 RAWZ=0 NULL=1 RESZ=0 SlowINTZ=0
desktop: 1280x1024 60Hz; virtual: 1280x1024 at 0,0
<I> Initializing (RawInput).

<RI> Input initialized.

Non platform assembly: data-01CEFA18 (this message is harmless)
Non platform assembly: data-01D542C0 (this message is harmless)
Non platform assembly: data-03860020 (this message is harmless)
Non platform assembly: data-01D63D70 (this message is harmless)
Non platform assembly: data-01D725A0 (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: Z:\Program Files\KSP\KSP_Data\Managed\UnityScript.Lang.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: Z:\Program Files\KSP\KSP_Data\Managed\Boo.Lang.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: Z:\Program Files\KSP\KSP_Data\Managed\System.Xml.dll (this message is harmless)

Unloading 8 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 372.
Unloading 4 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0 / Dirty serialized files: 0)
loading settings...
UnityEngine.Debug:Internal_Log(Int32, String, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:print(Object)
GameSettings:ParseCfg()
GameSettings:Start()

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/6bc5f79e0a4296d6/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/BaseClass.cpp Line: 2505)

TUTORIALS_EDITOR_ENABLE: False

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/6bc5f79e0a4296d6/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/BaseClass.cpp Line: 2505)

TUTORIALS_FLIGHT_ENABLE: False

VAB_USE_CLICK_PLACE: True

VAB_CAMERA_ORBIT_SENS: 0.1

VAB_CAMERA_ZOOM_SENS: 0.1

settings loaded!

Loading Parts...
PartLoader:Start()

>> bigfuel >>
PartLoader:loadPartByPath(String)
PartLoader:Start()

Platform assembly: Z:\Program Files\KSP\KSP_Data\Managed\System.dll (this message is harmless)
KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
  at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,UnityEngine.Material].get_Item (System.String key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at GeometryBuffer.PopulateMeshes (UnityEngine.GameObject[] gs, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2 mats) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at DAE.Build () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at DAE+<Load>c__Iterator7.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

It get's stuck loading. What's wrong?

BTW the part files are attached

EDIT: Disregard this post, I'm about to post in the KSP forums

Attachments

• bigfuel.zip
    4.9 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

blixel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Anyone else having this kind of issue?

I've read most (but not all) of the comments here and haven't seen anyone else mention it.

spacekid1998

Reaction score
So in your guys experience what is orbital velocity? I have reached 1500 burning parallel at ~40km and am still suborbital

Also to the developer, I would like to suggest that if going into orbit requires like 4+ Stage rockets and the setup now is we can only precisely make like a 3 stage rocket (1 stage 1 rocket | 2nd stage 1 rocket | 3rd stage tricoupler + 3 rockets) using predefined attachment points and 4+ stage is imposisble because of lack of thrust in only a rocket using tricouplers please add more attachment points to the sides of rockets for things like radial decouplers so we are not messing with precise placement of the rockets on the sides of other rockets

Last edited:

Fizyk

Reaction score
Website
ebvalaim.net
spacekid1988 said:
So in your guys experience what is orbital velocity? I have reached 1500 burning parallel at ~40km and am still suborbital
It's about 2350 m/s at 40 km altitude.

You can use the mass and radius I posted to get nice estimates for other altitudes (with the equation [math]v(h) = \sqrt{\frac{GM}{R+h}}[/math], where h is the altitude).

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score

It's around 2300 m/s. Search around, Fizyk posted the mass of the planet...

I'm actually in favor of these current SRBs and liquid engines being as weak as they are, with less attachment points. They're "found lying around", low quality crap, so they shouldn't be able to make it to orbit.

If you can make orbit with these crappy parts, then how could you possibly advance in game?

Maybe instead of being able to stick a booster to the side of everything, you should make a module that you can buy, that works as an attachment point. There's one available right now, but it makes the booster *really* unstable...

Pablo49

Reaction score
Spacekid, you can make more that an 3 stage rocket. I had a 12 stage rocket at one point. (Got me to 2000 Km before the game crashed :) ) You can mount SRBs right the side of another SRB or Fuel tank, without any extra parts. (though, it boosts the heating up, I've noticed). You can also use the radial decouplers, but those are a little flimsy sometimes.

iamwearingpants

Just an Earth-bound misfit, I
Reaction score
Here's a suggestion: You should have the sound of engines be cut off once in space? I can hear me engines from 300 km.

BTW I've had KSP up for 3 days straight. I am LOVING your game :cheers:

May you and your team be blessed by :probe:, she is proud!

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
We need an emoticon of a terrified Kerman...
Screwball.jpg

Last edited:

PeriapsisPrograde

Wannabe addon dev
Reaction score
Is there any way to balance the weight when adding SRBs to other SRBs? I can never get it right and spiral out of control :( :facepalm:

Jarvitä

Reaction score
Nope, not yet. You just have to balance it out visually.
(or just add a ton of SAS modules and hold F during ascent)

Unstung

Reaction score
I think in its current state, this game can also be great on smartphones if it can be re-written for them. Just add some online high scores.

spacekid1998

Reaction score
The most dire change right now is the ability to add engines / replace parts in the middle of the rocket without losing everything below it... I'm sure I'm not the only one who has rage quit instead of having to delete 5 stages to fix something on the 2nd stage

Turbinator

Reaction score
The most dire change right now is the ability to add engines / replace parts in the middle of the rocket without losing everything below it... I'm sure I'm not the only one who has rage quit instead of having to delete 5 stages to fix something on the 2nd stage

I've found a workaround for this.

Take some SRBs and stick them one to another, to a point above the one you want to temporarily detach. So that they stick way out on one side. Than take the stack you want to temporarily set aside, and stick it to those SRBs. This acts as a ghetto place-holder.

spacekid1998

Reaction score
I've found a workaround for this.

Take some SRBs and stick them one to another, to a point above the one you want to temporarily detach. So that they stick way out on one side. Than take the stack you want to temporarily set aside, and stick it to those SRBs. This acts as a ghetto place-holder.

perfect

HarvesteR

Reaction score
Hi again!

yes, the attachment thing is a little ugly right now, these normal-aligned attachments are causing a major problem, in that it's very frustrating to get parts to be aligned to each other.

This will be solved when we get a symmetry mode in. With symmetry mode, each part you place also places a number of mirror parts radially, so there's no worrying about proper alignment.

and yes, that ghetto-placeholder scheme is how I've been doing it too, to preserve a stack and add something else in the middle. But worry not, there will be a solution to this. The idea is to add an actual placeholder spot, where you can leave part of your ship, and then reattach it later.

Cheers

blixel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The idea is to add an actual placeholder spot, where you can leave part of your ship, and then reattach it later.

Just offering some feedback here. I'm not a developer so maybe my feedback is worthless, but this idea popped into my head.

What about dragging and dropping the parts you want to get rid of into a trash bin instead of dragging them away from the rocket and letting go? Then, the default behavior of leaving pieces off to the side would be that they would just stay there. (Perhaps they could turn yellow ... indicating they are in limbo.)

Having a placeholder spot would probably work just as well. I'm just putting this out as an idea.

krashkart

Heliosynchronous Debris Field
Reaction score
All I can say right now is: :facepalm:

Not about the game mind you! :) About my designs. The first one exploded on the pad both times I tried to launch it. The second design tipped over and exploded before I could even press the space bar. :lol:

Pretty cool, I like it so far. Will recommend it to my younger cousin. :thumbup:

Edit: Launch #4 results in a new total of twelve KIA's in my space program. This is a bad thing, right? :uhh:

Edit2: Success! =D

Edit3: The looks on the astronaut's faces are priceless. Apogee of ~47.5 km this time.

Last edited:

HarvesteR

Reaction score
Just offering some feedback here. I'm not a developer so maybe my feedback is worthless, but this idea popped into my head.

What about dragging and dropping the parts you want to get rid of into a trash bin instead of dragging them away from the rocket and letting go? Then, the default behavior of leaving pieces off to the side would be that they would just stay there. (Perhaps they could turn yellow ... indicating they are in limbo.)

Having a placeholder spot would probably work just as well. I'm just putting this out as an idea.

This could also work... In fact, I'm thinking that the best way to preserve a part of the stack is to simply not delete it when it's dropped outside the ship.

There are two ways of deleting a part actually... One is to click on open space with a part selected, and the other is to return it to the parts list. It should be possible to make detached parts stay where they are when dropped, and require that a part is dropped back in the list to delete it.

What I'm thinking of doing is restructuring the vehicle assembly logic a bit, to be able to start the editor without a command pod already in place. It would make more sense to build from the ground up, instead of from the pod down... But that will probably be a good deal of work, to get the VAB to work like that, so I can't guarantee it will be in for the next release.

BTW, we are now planning the features that WILL be in the next release. We'll be posting the upcoming feature lineup shortly.

Cheers