Gaming The Kerbal Space Program - Version 1.2.x

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Okay, this is a bit strange, but I actually need a pilot.

Mt4q9h6.png

The design looks like the FPS should be reasonable, but for some reason my computer is finding it to be a slideshow :facepalm:. KSP has always been a bit slow on my computer, but this is too slow for me to control properly.

Would anyone with a faster computer be willing to try out the design & verify if it works? I believe the only add-on required is Kethane.

View attachment DSD.zip

Instructions:

For launch, simply throttle up to max & blow the launch clamps. Attitude hold may be useful for a few seconds, but I generally recommend a manual ascent for better stability. Once in orbit, EVA a crewmember and spacewalk to the MK1 lander can on the propulsion stage. Make sure you do this before you separate the spacecraft; the RCS is now on the propulsion stage, so you will need control of it in order to dock. Once you have control, stage in order to separate the lander from the propulsion stage, then dock the two together.

Once at Duna, aerobrake into a capture orbit, and start running the Kethane scanner. After you find a good mining site near your target, or wherever, undock the lander module (the one with the capsule) and use its engines to deorbit to a reentry. While in reentry, keep the heat shield on until the flames stop then hit space to get rid of it and open the landing parachutes. I strongly advise using your engines to slow the landing, but a parachute only one might work as well. No refund if not ;)

Obviously make sure to deploy the gear before hitting the surface. Once you're down deploy the drill & mine some kethane! The trick to making this all work is going to be staying inside the "Kethane window". If you fill the tanks up too much additional Kethane after refuelling, the lander will be too heavy to make it back to orbit around Duna; if you don't fill up enough, you may not have enough Kethane available to refill your fuel tanks on the propulsion stage for the return journey to Kerbin.

Good luck, and remember

:hailprobe:

Last edited:

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hmm, looks like something my that should be flyable for me...

EDIT: Two more addons required, if someone else wants to fly too:

http://kerbalspaceport.com/original-ksp-parts-6/

http://kerbalspaceport.com/protractor-for-ksp-0-18/

---------- Post added 17-09-13 at 00:44 ---------- Previous post was 16-09-13 at 09:50 ----------

Upnwego VE is the vehicle to launch, right? (Just assumed it because it has the most parts and looks like the image)

Sometimes it just falls apart on the ground, and even with low thrust I never got it beyond the first stage. A few more struts should help.

But I had some nice explosions. :lol:

Last edited:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Upnwego VE is the vehicle to launch, right? (Just assumed it because it has the most parts and looks like the image)

Sometimes it just falls apart on the ground, and even with low thrust I never got it beyond the first stage. A few more struts should help.

But I had some nice explosions. :lol:

:lol:

Nope, Upnwego VG is the latest version that I needed tested.

The launch vehicle is an offshoot of my earlier Sprento family. Basically just a big Falcon Heavy-lookalike with cross feeding LRBs. After liftoff, make sure to watch the LRB fuel levels, and press space to stage them when empty. I highly recommend "Altitude before velocity" with this launcher, but either approach may work.

Last edited:

iamwearingpants

Just an Earth-bound misfit, I
Reaction score
xAgTKy3.png

wKoOOOo.png

I utterly can't believe I did this: a full KW 135 ton tank in orbit. The craft you see next to is an SSTO, which docked to the fuel station on it's way to minmus.

UliCrbZ.png

On the way there I 'decided' to visit a craft that was too heavy to take off (whoops :shifty:). Might head back tonight

Last edited:

Pablo49

Reaction score
Question. Why the smaller tanks instead of the orange insulated ones?

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Question. Why the smaller tanks instead of the orange insulated ones?

Occasionally stacking more smaller tanks proves more stable than lots of bigger ones. I have no idea why this applies, but my Sprento launcher family never mixed well with the big orange tanks for some reason.

iamwearingpants

Just an Earth-bound misfit, I
Reaction score
Occasionally stacking more smaller tanks proves more stable than lots of bigger ones. I have no idea why this applies, but my Sprento launcher family never mixed well with the big orange tanks for some reason.

Actually, I just kept adding small tanks after the numerous mass-increasing edits I did (like the RCS) and was too lazy to remove them. Plus, it looks cool :lol:

Though, smaller tanks do dissipate heat rather well and can act as a cushion if you need to do lithobraking. I'm not kidding. The Shuttle-A analogue I made a while back was discovered to have this ability after I left it to de-orbit and crash. Thing oriented itself pod-up and half of it survived :blink:

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Ok... I appear to be having a problem. I can get to the SPH, and VAB (that's not the problem). Except I can't launch anything. I can click on the launch button and they all grey out, but it doesn't do anything. When I click out of the window, like to go into chrome, they reset. Ideas?

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
Ok... I appear to be having a problem. I can get to the SPH, and VAB (that's not the problem). Except I can't launch anything. I can click on the launch button and they all grey out, but it doesn't do anything. When I click out of the window, like to go into chrome, they reset. Ideas?

Do you have the latest version? I remember a bugfix report that noted this issue and that it should be fixed now.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Do you have the latest version? I remember a bugfix report that noted this issue and that it should be fixed now.

AFAIK, I do. I redownloaded it from Steam and had the same problem.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Just realized I have a few hours (game time) to cobble together a rocket and probe before the current launch window to Jool closes. Rocket and probe are mated and on the pad. Question is, can the rocket actually fly? I noticed a lot of techs running around the pad with space tape in the last few minutes...
EDIT: Yup. Ran beautifully. Only glitch was the core engine blowing up due to overheat early in the ejection burn. Looks like I forgot to enable that particular utility of Mechjeb... I just staged to my NTRs and kept on going.

Last edited:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Query: Would it be possible to import KSP craft into Orbiter? (Or even vice-versa?)
Importing from KSP to Orbiter is conceptually possible but not easy. You know the total mass, fuel, thrust, etc of the ship, and a converter could potentially convert it into an Orbiter vessel.

Going the other direction would be rather more difficult, since you don't have multiple parts to start from.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
One issue is that the models aren't free of rights. But you could "copy" (I mean, making your own models that look like the KSP parts) them, give them generic names, and from there I think, like Hielor, that it would be possible. The converter would just need a table that assigns an Orbiter mesh to a KSP part model with proper offset information etc...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
One issue is that the models aren't free of rights. But you could "copy" (I mean, making your own models that look like the KSP parts) them, give them generic names, and from there I think, like Hielor, that it would be possible. The converter would just need a table that assigns an Orbiter mesh to a KSP part model with proper offset information etc...

Making a KSPVessel.DLL would also be possible, even from legal aspects. The meshes could be encrypted like AMSO, a lot of the conversion work needed for the different universes could be handled by the DLL.