• 2001: A Space Odyssey

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • The Right Stuff

Votes: 14 23.3%

• Total voters

kino_astroboy

Orbinaut-in-Training
Reaction score
I've picked the top 5 space exploration films in my opinion.

The Orbinauts decide!

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Currently The Right stuff. I still have to watch In the shadow of the Moon, but it's only shown in big cities here (propably because something about spaceflight is "so boooring"), so I'll get it on DVD.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Armaggedon? Top exploration movie?

That film had so many holes you could fly a fleet of XR5's through it!

kino_astroboy

Orbinaut-in-Training
Reaction score
Armaggedon? Top exploration movie?

That film had so many holes you could fly a fleet or XR5's through it!

Even though it was unrealistic in a way, it still had a great story! ;)

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
How about the unrealistic, but entertaining "Mission To Mars"?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_to_Mars

That's a good movie to watch with friends who know a bit about Physics - you see how many errors each person can spot.

Maybe that should be made into a drinking game? Every Physics error and you take a swig of beer? Armageddon would be banned because you'd get alcohol poisoning! :cheers:

Messierhunter

Reaction score
Currently The Right stuff. I still have to watch In the shadow of the Moon, but it's only shown in big cities here (propably because something about spaceflight is "so boooring"), so I'll get it on DVD.
I drove more than an hour to the only theater in my part of the state that was playing In the Shadow of the Moon. My wife (who was only there for my sake) and I were the youngest ones there by at least 20-30 years. It deeply saddened me to realize how little my generation cares about the history of spaceflight and all we accomplished. Quite a few of them don't even believe it actually happened.

Anyway, it's a fantastic treasure of a film, and if you get the DVD there's a ton of fascinating interview material in there that they left out in the interest of time. There's just no other source out there that preserves the stories of the apollo astronauts themselves, in their own words, as well as this does. Even their own books can't do justice to the "living room chat" feel of this film. It's a shame that Neil wouldn't participate, but I understand his reasons. He refuses to make a dime off of his own image, he respects his unique place in history so much that he stands aside and lets the event itself take the spotlight.

streb2001

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
That's a good movie to watch with friends who know a bit about Physics - you see how many errors each person can spot.

At least it had some physics. Is this the one with Van Halen and the zero g dancing thing?

Maybe that should be made into a drinking game? Every Physics error and you take a swig of beer? Armageddon would be banned because you'd get alcohol poisoning! :cheers:

God no. I remember the Drink-Along-A-Dallas parties we had at university. At least I remember the start of some of them. :sick:

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
Who's the traitor who voted Armageddon? It's not even an exploaration movie! It just involves blowing stuff up in space!

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
Who's the traitor who voted Armageddon? It's not even an exploaration movie! It just involves blowing stuff up in space!

e98z1j.gif

I'll will add and Fifth Element too...

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
Not really a film, but how about that Simpsons episode "Deep Space Homer" where Homer goes up on the shuttle?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Space_Homer

Again, how many errors can you spot in this?:p
255f9e642113d92d9017a54d0bf50b64_image_document_large_featured_borderless.jpg

Trivial fact:
Did you know that this episode is available in the ISS's DVD library, for astronauts to watch at their own pleasure during their stays aboard the station:lol:

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
I would have to add 2001 and 2010. THAT is space exploration at it's finest!

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Tough call...

As much as I enjoyed Apollo 13, I have to go with The Right Stuff. These were a bunch of guys who were doing things that had never been done before.
Could I suggest the miniseries From the Earth to the Moon as an honorable mention?

I had never heard of Postcards until I read the board, I went to the website and the trailers made my heart swell. I've got to buy this movie.

Once again thanks to the Orbitnauts here, for finding me ways to avoid things on the "honey-do" list.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Where is Silent Running?

Or Red Planet?

Or Dark Star?

Or Event Horizon?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Dang

I forgot all about Silent Running, it's almost before my time. I've a cardboard model of Huey on my desk here, and it still never crossed my mind. But I think Event Horizon needs to be in Horror or something, I saw it way too many time on my last cruise for Uncle Sam. Once of few ways to pass the time.