Velcro Rockets

Stormlordalpha

Reaction score
Greetings Sputnik!
I found just now your "Apollo Direct Ascent". I downloaded it. When I tried to run the scenario, I got a CTD. Because the ApDALegs.cfg is lacking.
When I checked the .zip, I found out, instead the ApDALegs.cfg there are two times the ApDALegs.msh included in the .zip.
May I humble beg you to upload the ApDALegs.cfg, or tell me where I can find the ApDALegs.cfg! I don't found it in my big and bloated orbiter installation :)
I really like your alternate history add-ons and would like to fly the direct ascend apollo.
Thank you!

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
Zoiks! Why does no one TELL me these things? Fixed now, at the original download. Or here:

Attachments

• Apollo Direct Ascent.zip
    11.5 KB · Views: 580

Stormlordalpha

Reaction score
Thank you!
Downloaded it and testflown until orbit with all staging events :)
Works very fine. I look forward to go to the moon again in 2 weeks, when we have half moon :)
The landing will be interesting!
Thank you again!
Werner

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Zoiks! Why does no one TELL me these things? Fixed now, at the original download. Or here:
I knew about the error, but I just did some switching around in the .cfg directory... :embarrassed:

Fixerger

Reaction score
>Can the autopilot reach orbit on some other rockets? Try, for example, the Zenit.

Some tested EELVs yes. It can :)

Hmmmm. Tested Delta II on clean install... I got 7500 on 85km but... my Pea is changing all time from -900 to 200k O_O Autopilot on.

And first time after srb sep main stage wont run O_O

Zenit = 250km Apo. Nominal?

Last edited:

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
Hmm? You put a Delta II in orbit and the perigee altitude fluctuated all the way from -900 to +200k??!? This doesn't sound like a Velcro problem, but a step size problem. Do you have the default orbit propogation, up to 8th order Runge-Kutta? How's your machine's performance?

daniash

Reaction score
Centre of Mass problem

[ ]

Last edited:

Fixerger

Reaction score
Hmm? You put a Delta II in orbit and the perigee altitude fluctuated all the way from -900 to +200k??!? This doesn't sound like a Velcro problem, but a step size problem. Do you have the default orbit propogation, up to 8th order Runge-Kutta? How's your machine's performance?

Default settings. Yes. It really flactuated (but maybe i taling about wrong parameter? will confirm if see that problem again).

Machine is good: P4 2.8, Rad9600, 1024 ram. 100fps with velcro. But i got freezes(when zooming to 30% or flying near Florida(?)) some time because of Level 10 Earth Texture :) Maybe that's a problem? FPS is very good.

Delta II can reach orbit manually. Also.. Urwumpe help me a lot with PITCHMULTIPLE 0.8 :)

Also, Delta II autopilot got huge left/right yaw after GEM(or first boosters?) sep and one time i got wrong inclination o_0 +10deg.

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
Daniash,

I'm surprised it works that well. You see, the way Velcro Rockets works in the parallel-burn mode is that it takes the Atlantis on the pad, and adds to it the mass, fuel, and thrusters of the rocket you're sticking to it. Then, when you ignite the main engines, it has to check to see that that's done, and it ignites the additional engines at the same time.
You've set Centerthrust to 1; very good, it means all the added engines are on wherever the centerline is. Staging should not change that.
And you've set an ignition delay. That works, but there is a problem, described in the manual.

That problem is staging. When the Atlantis drops its boosters, the atlantis.dll module helpfully re-sets its important parameters. Mass, propellant resources, and thrusters are all helpfully re-defined from a clean sheet. So, where did the Velcro attachments go? They don't exist any more. They're just dumb meshes, still attached and along for the ride, but massless and engineless.

This is an important limitation of Velcro: it works on stages not designed for it, but staging events mess that up. Your add-on boosters would need to be finished burning before, or simultaneously with, the SRM staging.

One way around this: have the SRM's themselves be Velcro Rockets. This is available in one of the sample shuttle scenarios, where RSRM's are attached as velcro rockets. When a velcro stage separates, it takes away its thruster and mass, but the core module doesn't know it needs to recalculate all its parameters from scratch, and so it doesn't. Voila!

---------- Post added at 06:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 AM ----------

Fixerger,

Are you running at high acceleration? I don't go above 10x for launches, and slow to 1x for separations. Other than that, I really can't think of anything else that might be causing this behavior.

Fixerger

Reaction score
Got a question. Is it really a problem in velcro with sound(?) it is very loud when inside.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Troubleshooting:

1. Locate speaker
2. Locate volume control on speaker
3. Reduce volume as required

Also:It is not too loud, you are too old.

Fixerger

Reaction score
Oh wait... now i feel like that's a not velcro but OrbiterSound problem. Soundconfig didn't help to lover loud thrust sound... >_<

Got a question! I set up a scenario with:

Delta-Stg2:Velcro/Delta2stg2
STATUS Landed Earth
BASE Cape Canaveral:11
HEADING 37.00
TGT_HEADING 037.0
PITCHMULTIPLE 0.8
FUEL 1.000
CONFIGURATION 0
CAMERA 0 0 40.0
PAYLOAD STSS-1 probe probe 0 0 0.75 1000.0 0 0.0 1.0
PAYLOAD STSS-2 probe probe 0 0 0.75 1000.0 0 0.0 1.0
END

And a problem that after jettison both sats don't have any fuel :(

Last edited:

PaKman

Reaction score
Rockets launch with huuge initial velocity

Hi all,

I'm quite new to Orbiter, and really new to Velcro. I'm lovin' both, although I'm having a problem when I cobble together my own launchers.

I'm experimenting with launchers that are made just of sets of SRMs, a la OTRAG and InterOrbital's Neptune. I've got a really simple launcher of two PARALLELBURNing Castor IVs. But when I launch, the thing leaps off the pad with a really high initial velocity. An utterly ridiculously high initial velocity.

It seems that if I take somebody else's scn file and pull a launcher to bits, that works okay, but if I build one from scratch then as soon as I've more than one stage PARALLELBURNing, it all goes wrong. Has anybody seen this?

I'm sure somebody's already had this problem, but I been searching and can't find anything, so I apologise now if I'm asking questions that've already been answered.

Shadow Addict

Reaction score
I'm trying to use the CTV and LTV with your Velcro Saturn V. It's working well, except when I jettison the CTV it ejects at something like 20 m/s, which is far too fast. Any way to fix this?

Fixerger

Reaction score
Hi Sputnik! I possibly found incorrect strings in your velcro scenarios... could you look at it? Its all about empty Probe fuel...

GPDS howto says about that string:
PAYLOAD payloadname mesh class x y z mass xrot fuellevel

But in your scenarios i see many strings with additional ZERO after mass:

PAYLOAD probe probe probe 0 0 22.25 140000.0 *0* 0.0 1.0 ... like noted in manual...

As a result most of payloads don't have fuel... If you remove that zero... everything with fuel is ok... I feel like that issue for all velcro packages (eelvs, saturns, titans(?), etc).

Thanks

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
Fixerger,

I certainly don't think it's present in ALL of them, but yes, I've noticed I copied a bad Probe payload string from somewhere, and in those cases the Probe does indeed spawn without fuel. I've been trying to track them down and fix them for a future release; if you could tell me which scenarios you've found it in, that would help.

Sorry about that.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Sputnik: I just found a small "undocumented feature" in the throttle back code... it seems to be possible to throttle back, but not throttle back up, for example after boosters are separated.