VIRUS ATTACKED!

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Vista's lack of bootable disk? what? You can boot from any OS disk AFAIK, you just cannot boot windows from a disk like you can Ubuntu.
Upon re-reading my post, I see I was a little too unclear. In XP, there is an explicit bootable disc creation wizard. Any old average joe could find and use this option with a blank CD. In Vista, on the other hand, no such bootable disc wizard existed, making the process much more complicated if the OS bit the dust.

Maybe I should just ask-- does Win7 have the option to create a bootable disc using a GUI?

If you had wireless driver problems, why not use a wired connection to first get the driver? Oh well, interesting use of an iPod anyway :lol:
Well, I tried, but I needed some kind of driver for that too, and my USB stick had mysteriously disappeared. So iPod it was. :tiphat:

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I have found, quite recently, that the best way to back up Windows data (on a Windows install that is not working right) is a Ubuntu Live CD, of course backing up to DVD is no longer possible but a back up to another HDD or flash drive is quite easy.

Without Windows trying to access the files you want things are made much easier.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
to restore my Win7 MBR after a ubuntu ininstall went bad and windows could no longer boot, and it worked very well.

Did it actually go bad, or did you do what I did and not read the bootloader options carefully and overwrite the Windows MBR with Grub?

---------- Post added at 15:58 ---------- Previous post was at 15:47 ----------

Upon re-reading my post, I see I was a little too unclear. In XP, there is an explicit bootable disc creation wizard. Any old average joe could find and use this option with a blank CD. In Vista, on the other hand, no such bootable disc wizard existed, making the process much more complicated if the OS bit the dust.

Maybe I should just ask-- does Win7 have the option to create a bootable disc using a GUI?

I think the unclearness involved is that you're talking about a bootable optical disk, and other people are interpreting "disk" as "storage device." Am I right? (Though I personally don't recall any such option in XP).

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

I think the unclearness involved is that you're talking about a bootable optical disk, and other people are interpreting "disk" as "storage device." Am I right? (Though I personally don't recall any such option in XP).
XP did have a "create bootable disc" wizard of sorts, you just had to hunt for it. And yes, when I say "disk," I mean CD (or DVD, if you have expensive tastes...) Sorry for the confusion.

A word about using Linux Live CD's for recovery of an infected Windows OS-- Ubuntu is a good option and all, but if you are using it solely for recovery, wouldn't a smaller Linux such as Puppy Linux be a better option?

doggie015

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Did it actually go bad, or did you do what I did and not read the bootloader options carefully and overwrite the Windows MBR with Grub?
I think that did do that, and to make things worse: I deleted the GRUB partition, I still had the Win7 bootloader, but because GRUB no longer existed, I couldn't access it. This is why I had to fix the MBR, just so that I could type this post.

Laugh at will!

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
XP did have a "create bootable disc" wizard of sorts, you just had to hunt for it. And yes, when I say "disk," I mean CD (or DVD, if you have expensive tastes...) Sorry for the confusion.

A word about using Linux Live CD's for recovery of an infected Windows OS-- Ubuntu is a good option and all, but if you are using it solely for recovery, wouldn't a smaller Linux such as Puppy Linux be a better option?

Probably, but all I had was a Ubuntu Live CD :p

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
In Vista, on the other hand, no such bootable disc wizard existed, making the process much more complicated if the OS bit the dust.

Um ok..
I think you might just have terminology mixed up here, unless I am once again misreading...

DOS has whats called boot disks because they are are used to boot the computer, and run like a live CD. ie they run without effecting the computer, unless of course that is the purpose of the program like a OS install boot disk.

XP, Vista, 7 don't have boot disks (like that) becuase they dont want you to freely boot MS products ;)

If you find one online, its either incorrectly named or not what I am thinking about :)

See wiki's definition;
A boot disk is a removable digital data storage medium from which a computer can load and run (boot) an operating system or utility program. The computer must have a built-in program which will load and execute a program from a boot disk meeting certain standards.
I think your thinking of a recovery disk
windows-7-recovery-disk-boot-disk

And for vista;*
http://blogs.techrepublic.com

Vista is a special case, as this thing says, these specific instructions work with Compaq only. I took a look on my friends computer (vista) (which I just realized is also a Compaq so its results are really voided) and in the run box typed 'res' which left the first hit as create restore CD.

Try it with yours if you have Vista.

Ubuntu is a good option and all, but if you are using it solely for recovery, wouldn't a smaller Linux such as Puppy Linux be a better option?

You could, but I don't have it at the moment, also might it lack certain features that the (though larger) Ubuntu OS might have?

I deleted the GRUB partition.

:rofl:..and you wondered why the MBR was corrupt :lol:

Linguofreak

Reaction score

That's what I was thinking, if one isn't actually going to install Linux, one probably doesn't want to download a whole 600 meg LiveCD just for a recovery disk. If one actually has Linux installed, then it's a good idea to have a LiveCD of the distro around anyways, so the download has (presumably) already been made.

zeldafan156

Reaction score
ATTENTION! thanks to ALL of your help ive managed to clean the virus from my computer:cheers: (it seems that way for the moment 0_o):woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Here at home , we use Norton spyware. So to prevent the virus in the future that program should work.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well, I can tell you one thing: for data recovery the Win7 install DVD is a real pain in the :censored: as it was not designed for that, I recently used something called UBCD4WIN (Free for private non-commercial use. Available from http://www.ubcd4win.com/ NOTE: You need an XP CD (Preferably SP2+) to build the WinPE environment it runs in!) to restore my Win7 MBR after a ubuntu ininstall went bad and windows could no longer boot, and it worked very well.

If you are installing Win7 from the install DVD, then it is the simplest installation process yet; just accept the defaults, press the big "Install Now" button, accept the defaults again and away you go!

I've used UBCD4WIN in the past also, mostly for data recovery. But it's not needed for fixing a corrupt or deleted MBR. Pop in the Win7 DVD & reboot, press any key to boot from the DVD, select your language prefs and click Next. On the next screen, click Repair your computer. Then, on the dialog that appears, click Startup Repair. Startup Repair will scan the boot sector and boot record and fix any errors it finds, including missing or bad MBR. It will prompt you to reboot. Don't press any keys when prompted and Win7 should be back in business.

Had this happen to me also the first time I installed Ubuntu 9.10 in a dual-boot configuration. Rebooted after Ubuntu install and apparently the GRUB install went bad. Once I got Win7 up and running, had to search the forums for the steps to repair GRUB. After that, all was golden. :thumbup:

zeldafan156, I would suggest downloading a couple of the anti-spyware/anti-malware programs others have suggested, in addition to your already-installed malware bytes. In my experiences, there doesn't seem to be any one tool that catches everything, although this does seem to be getting better, in the corporate antivirus software environment at least. Our company switched to Sophos from Symantec about a year ago, despite much resistance from us (desktop techs). I have to say, I've seen far fewer infections, both virus and malware, than we saw with Symantec. And the reports are showing that Sophos is in fact stopping more at the door, rather than just not detecting as much.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Well, I can tell you one thing: for data recovery the Win7 install DVD is a real pain in the :censored: as it was not designed for that,
Well, I can tell you one thing: for getting to the moon my car is a real pain in the :censored: as it was not designed for that.