What joystick do you use?

markl316

XR2 Ravenstar Commander
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
So after 10 years, it's time for a new joystick.

I was looking at the Saitek X52, but I've tried it before, and my only concern is that it's not very stiff (my old logitech is pretty stiff, and I prefer it that way). Also, can you program the MFD on the throttle that comes with the X52? And I would like to try to get something with yaw, but if you recommend a great stick with no yaw, that's fine too.

So I was wondering what you guys use and recommend. :cheers:

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
None. Just mouse and keyboard.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I use the Saitek Cyborg Evo - Mostly for FSX and yes it is quite loose but you very soon get used to it like that and it is a great stick to use - very comfortable.

Unstung

Reaction score
I use the T-Flight Hotas X because it's relatively cheap and comes with a separate throttle control and has PS3 compatibility if I'd ever need it. It replaced my Extreme 3D Pro when it got problems after many years of use and the Thrustmaster has been working fine since (for 2 years?).
If you're willing to spend more money, I wouldn't doubt the X52 is a better investment.

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
I use the Saitek X-52, and I've been nothing but satisfied with it. It is a tad bit loose, but you get used to it quite quickly. I haven't tried to program the MFD, but that doesn't mean you can't do it.

All in all, A+, would recommend :lol:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Also, can you program the MFD on the throttle that comes with the X52?

only pro-version, which also has "stifness-adjustement" if I'm not mistaken (not sure though. only have standard version, which is pretty awesome already, very reliable and surprisingly durable)

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
I have a Thrustmaster Cougar (joystick with separate throttle) and Simped F-16/C rudders.
Plus, a little extra 8" touchscreen which I use with TouchBuddy software, but I'm (or used to be) nuts!!

But lately, more and more often, I find myself orbiting only with the use of the keyboard...go figure!

Last edited:

Turbinator

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a relatively affordable force sensing joystick. You can't get any stiffer than a joystick that does not move.

I would love to get a Saitek X65 Pro Flight Control System, however it is pricey.

saitek-x65-f-combat-control-system.jpg

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
That's the same joystick that we used for development of a naval training system when we ran out of UK-MoD-spec ones. Seemed a bit silly having them plugged into a bunch of consoles for controlling cameras, but did the trick for our purposes. I was planning on half-inching one when we disposed of them when the proper sticks came in... but forgot.

Ark

Reaction score
I'm still just using the keyboard. I've got an Extreme 3D Pro that I use for IL2 and FSX, but for Orbiter I just prefer the keyboard. Outside of atmosphere it's all RCS pulses and autopilot anyway, you don't really need analog control for that.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Saitek X-52 here (base model, not the Pro), and I am very satisfied with its performance. Honestly haven't gotten around to playing with the MFD yet, but I understand there is some programmability.

The only gripe I have about the X-52, and I mean the ONLY gripe, is the throttle, even though you can adjust the resistance/tension, has a bit of a 'catch' around the middle/50% mark. Not very bad, just enough to be noticeable and annoying. If you read online product reviews you will see that many agree.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a relatively affordable force sensing joystick. You can't get any stiffer than a joystick that does not move.

I would love to get a Saitek X65 Pro Flight Control System, however it is pricey.
Force sensing makes sense when you're in the cockpit of an aircraft pulling 8Gs, but sitting on the ground in my room? I think it would be rather strange and unnatural. At that price range I'd rather have the Logitech G940, although I think they still haven't managed to fix all the early hardware issues they were having...

If you want to spend big bucks on a stick, might as well go all the way to the top with the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog:
HotasWarthog800x600.jpg

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Let's hope Thrustmaster has learned from all the problems of the original Cougar project...
:rolleyes:

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
I use a Trust Predator XK-100, a great sounding name for what is actualy quite a cheap joystick. 2 Axis', 4 Buttons. 2 of the buttons have rapid-fire on them, enabled by a little switch. I can't comment on its siff-ness as its the only joystick I can remember, and I can't comment on its performance, as my current computer doesn't have a game port.
http://www.trust.com/products/product.aspx?artnr=11840

Turbinator

Reaction score
Oh wow, that is a beauty.

hotas-warthog-joystick.jpg

I played with a force sensing joystick in Futureshop (Canada's Best Buy) and I was hooked. It suits my preference perfectly.
The only problem here is that they cost so much. So far there are no mid-level force sensing joysticks.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I have Logitech Extreme Digital 3D, but last time I used it was something around a year ago, and it wasn't in Orbiter, but it's a good joystick for my needs (with yaw), though it's old. :p

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A few weeks ago bought a new Logitech Attack-3...pretty cheap, but that's the life of a college student. :)

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I have old Logitech Wingman Attack 2

resize