You know you're addicted to Orbiter when...

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
When your girlfrend is UMMU compatable.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
When you just voted and wondered where MartinS is on the ballot.

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
When this is the only food you ever eat:

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
When you read that the 787 will cruise along at 0.85 mach and you find yourself sincerely unimpressed.

When you wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat, sitting at your computer, and feverishly looking at KSC on Google Earth.

When you draw new addon concepts in boring meetings.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
...when turning around a corner, you imagine yourself gravitationally attracted to the corner and slingshotting past it, trying to walk in a hyperbolic path, passing within inches from the corner and even walking faster when you are close to it.

I do that, what makes it great is that my daughter (15 years old), not only has noticed, but knows why, and thinks it's funny.

jinglesassy

Reaction score
when in a book store you are looking at books and you see a book about apollo and it shows the moon on the cover then you say you have been there out loud(very guilty lol)

jedimaster1214

CDR-LMP-CMP
Reaction score
When you play with your light switches, thinking that you are raising and lowering your gear....:p

kneejo

Astronut
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
When you see 2001: A space odyssey and think about re-making it using orbiter for all the space scenes, realizing it might actually look better than the original..

(has this already been done, by the way?)

Killer Toilet

Reaction score
When you think that the most epic skydive would be a highly eccentric orbit around the Earth into it's atmosphere.

When all you think about in orbit is speed to catch up with the falling craft.

When you deny Pluto's moon Charon actually exists simply because it crashes every single time I load that moon up. I need help with Charon not crashing on me whenever I go near it with the camera. :(

kino_astroboy

Orbinaut-in-Training
Reaction score
When you practice shuttle landings (starting from TAEM) in the Google Earth flight simulator! :)

Nemoricus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
When you attempt to use 'T' to speed up a Youtube video.

Almost did this with Epsilon's latest video tutorial.

The 2-Belo

Capt. Refsmmat
Donator
Reaction score
You want to know when you're really addicted to Orbiter? When you find yourself planning for a trip home for the holidays as if it were a lunar mission.

If you live far enough away from your hometown, so many things fall into place in this regard you can't help but think about it in those terms. Let's see: you're taking hours and hours to travel thousands of miles and land softly, go outside in protective clothing (if your particular hometown is in the northern latitudes) while collecting various artifacts and taking photographs, and then returning to where you came from. Sure sounds like an Apollo mission to me.

In my case, a crew of two (my wife and I) will launch (from NGO) into a parking orbit (a layover at NRT) where we check out the spacecraft (we buy magazines and potato chips) before starting the TLI maneuver (the international flight to IAD). Then after performing a P52 (staring out the window at various cloud formations) and punching course correction burn data into the DSKY (selecting a movie to watch on the seat-back television), we take an eat period, followed by a urine dump, followed by a rest period. If there is time in the flight plan we might remove the probe and drogue, and check out the LM (we wander around in business class). Then we perform a LOI maneuver (a holding pattern over DC), then after being given a Go for powered descent, we pitch over and hope the PNGS is correct and we don't land long (our pilots aren't looking at Facebook on their laptops and overshoot the approach). Finally we touch down (hopefully with more than 30 seconds of fuel left). Then there is a Stay NoStay declaration (customs). Finally, various EVAs are performed (we put on heavy coats and go to Grandma's house) before we eventually run out of surface time and have to climb back into the ascent stage (return flight) with our rock boxes (gift-wrapped wool sweaters and iPods). Then after liftoff from the lunar surface we enjoy a long TEI before re-entry interface and splashdown. There is even quarantine (I have to go back to work the next day so I have no time to unpack).

So in light of all this, I keep planning my trip as if I'm commander of the prime crew of Gifu-Mountaindale 4 (this is my fourth trip to the US in the decade of the 2000s).

"This is Gifu launch control at T minus 38 days, 14 hours. The prime crew is now deep in their 'crap we must take care of before we leave' checklist, which includes pre-printing 480 quintripleskillion Christmas and New Year's cards, and applying for the LMP's ESTA permit (thanks, US customs, you dickweeds). The flight director has declared that crew ingress must begin at approximately 3:00 am, JST, which is about T minus 5 hours before launch, as per the revised mission rules after Gifu-Mountaindale 3, where the LMP spent too much time putting her makeup on and choosing which purse to take along, and the spacecraft nearly launched without the crew aboard. This is Mission Control, Gifu."

I'm even taking my big camera backpack to serve as a PLSS.

Sky Captain

Reaction score
Haha that`s nice

Here is what happened to me about a week ago. I woke up at night because Moon was shining on me through the window. I was sleepy and could`t think clearly. I remember for a moment I was thinking something about deleting Moon.cfg, then I think I realized it`s not Orbiter and pulled a curtain.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Haha that`s nice

Here is what happened to me about a week ago. I woke up at night because Moon was shining on me through the window. I was sleepy and could`t think clearly. I remember for a moment I was thinking something about deleting Moon.cfg, then I think I realized it`s not Orbiter and pulled a curtain.

:lol: brilliant, Sky Captain.

I'm sure I have done such things on a few occasions. :p