You know you're addicted to Orbiter when...

Biscuit

Donator
Reaction score
As you pull away from a red light, you hear "V one" as you come out of third gear, then when you go into 5th gear and hit the speed limit you hear "rotate!" and find yourself pulling back on the steering wheel.

You watch a Navy F14 making a long sweeping turn to head off into the distance, and simultaneously catch yourself wondering where you can get that smooth contrail addon, and wondering why he hasn't pulled up and kicked in the turbo-pumps, because he's lined up perfectly for an ISS intercept.

You almost fall over backwards as your computer chair tries to roll out from under you as you lean back because you've gotten so into the shuttle launch you've got running on the screen.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Rolling on that one...

Gee I suppose I had better admit to this one:

I was timing the boiling ("burn") of an egg and I was fixated on the timer counting down to zero. When it hit zero i'm like "SHUTDOWN" and turned the gas off. A perfect burn!

:rofl:Just got some funny looks around the office for laughing so loud!

You have a vessel screenshot as your office desktop wallpaper, and when you close your browser after checking orbiter-forum, you press F1 to get back to cockpit view...

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
When you are staing in traffic jam with youre car and you where searching the hoverthrottle to fly away...

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
When you spend most of your day thinking about how to create your next addon, instead of thinking about sex like most people do.
When you take a vacation in space with Orbiter after a long working day.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
When you begin to seriously wonder how much a round-trip ticket to Brighton Beach costs, only to realize that it doesn't exist.

(Plus NASA can't seem to get past fuel-guzzling vertical-takeoff behemoths)

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
When you compare your priorities with the ones of other people.
Ordinary people priorities:
1.Sex
2.Money
3.Alcohol
4.Food
5.Soccer

Your priorities:
1.Orbiter
2.Money to afford a joystick, more powerful computer
3.Food to stay alive and play Orbiter
4.Sex
5.What is soccer?

orwellkid

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
When you install Orbiter on your desktop at work and try and "sneak in" re-entry training on your lunch break... only to get busted by your boss.

When you in turn get your Boss hooked on Orbiter, and bust him for "sneaking in" re-entry training on his lunch.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You have a vessel screenshot as your office desktop wallpaper, and when you close your browser after checking orbiter-forum, you press F1 to get back to cockpit view...

Guilty.

When you spend most of your day thinking about how to create your next addon, instead of thinking about sex like most people do.

Not guilty.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
When you compare your priorities with the ones of other people.
Ordinary people priorities:
1.Sex
2.Money
3.Alcohol
4.Food
5.Soccer

Your priorities:
1.Orbiter
2.Money to afford a joystick, more powerful computer
3.Food to stay alive and play Orbiter
4.Sex
5.What is soccer?
Most people I know don't think about sex or alcohol all too often. :huh: Darn these social differences...

My priorities are more like this:
1. Do something about that polar bear in the backyard

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
When you install Orbiter on your desktop at work and try and "sneak in" re-entry training on your lunch break... only to get busted by your boss.

When you in turn get your Boss hooked on Orbiter, and bust him for "sneaking in" re-entry training on his lunch.

:whistle:

LOL Guilty on both parts! (except that I was docking Apollo 11 Command Module with the LM and extracting from the SIVB in AMSO)

Haven't gotten my boss hooked on Orbiter (yet), but once I found out he was a backyard astronomer, I started sowing the seeds heh heh.

"No, actually it's free. Seriously. Just go to www.orbitersim.com to get started." (Which thankfully isn't blocked by our SmartFilter) :thumbsup:

RangerPL

Addon Consumer
Reaction score
You're really addicted to orbiter if you go looking for an RC Delta Glider at the local toy store.

You're also really addicted to orbiter when you take apart your car and build a ShuttlePB out of the spare parts.

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
When you take a vacation in space with Orbiter after a long working day.

Guilty, on both parts. Then again, being a teenager, I don't think about sex to much. And I have a fairly vivid imagination in the possible addon department.

Most people I know don't think about sex or alcohol all too often. :huh: Darn these social differences...

Recently that Dustin Hoffman (the guy who plays Raymond in Rainman) was on 60 Miniutes, and for some reason said (it was in line with the conversation) that the mind thinks a sex-related thought every ten seconds (on average). Do you live in an area known for head trauma and brain damage? :p

And now for my own: When you go onto the Orbiter Forum to discuss sex.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Guilty, on both parts. Then again, being a teenager, I don't think about sex to much. And I have a fairly vivid imagination in the possible addon department.
I don't think about sex too much either. My gf wouldn't be too happy if I did that... :lol:

Recently that Dustin Hoffman (the guy who plays Raymond in Rainman) was on 60 Miniutes, and for some reason said (it was in line with the conversation) that the mind thinks a sex-related thought every ten seconds (on average). Do you live in an area known for head trauma and brain damage? :p
Bah, Dustin Hoffman is no scientist! Although I did have a concussion when i was younger... ;)

And now for my own: When you go onto the Orbiter Forum to discuss sex.
Hahaha... yeah, we've strayed off topic a bit...

You know you are addicted to Orbiter when you make a list of things to accomplish each week, even though you've been an orbiternaut for five months.

My list:
1. Get a better grip on Transx
2. Learn to re-enter the Martian atmosphere with relative accuracy
3. Practice manual landings on bodies without atmosphere (moon, mercury, etc)

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
sorry for this one but

Not only do you check the latest posts on orbiter forum with your Blackberry while "taking care of business," you also post about it on the forum with your Blackberry...

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Ok, that was probably too much.

(Sorry to bump this one again, but I had to add this one because I caught myself last night...)

...You're watching Smallville and every time you see the screensaver on Chloe Sullivan's computer, you can't help but think to yourself, "I wonder whan inclination the Daily Planet's logo is orbiting at?"

Attachments

• DailyPlanet.jpg
    DailyPlanet.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 42

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Not guilty.
Somehow guilty. If I was single, I would be absolutelly guilty.

...You're watching Smallville and every time you see the screensaver on Chloe Sullivan's computer, you can't help but think to yourself, "I wonder whan inclination the Daily Planet's logo is orbiting at?"

When you wonder why Smallville gets fully funded and NASA is barely funded...
When you wonder how Superman can breath in space and how is that he does not suffer decompression.
When you wonder if Superman uses Orbiter physics... collisions at hypersonic speed without any damage.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
When you wonder if Superman uses Orbiter physics... collisions at hypersonic speed without any damage.

"able to leap tall buildings in a single bound"

LOL They should have also said...
"able to generate enough deltaV to instantaneously enter a geosynchronous orbit at any given altitude or inclination!"

(perceived on-screen as stopping in space above the Earth)

orwellkid

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
...when you argue about the orbital mechanics of Superman.

Reaction score
...when you start to think about every day things in terms of orbital mechanics, like picking up a fork is modidying it's orbit, not pulling it up against gravity.

orwellkid said:
...when you argue about the orbital mechanics of Superman.
The first time I saw Superman Returns I was lol'ing the whole time as he lifted the huge rock into space (in 20 seconds or so) gave it escape velocity, then lost consciousness and immediately began to fall back to earth while the rock kept going.:rofl: