You know you're addicted to Orbiter when...

Omhra

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
when you use your laser pen to point at something -and instinctively trace ellipses around the ceiling's light-fixtures pretending they have gravitational pull...

Ark

Reaction score
When your computer is in storage, so over the course of a few months you download about a gigabyte's worth of Orbiter and addons onto your mom's crappy laptop without her finding the deep-hidden Orbiter file.

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Michel Fournier would disagree with you, I think (yes, he is for real): http://www.legrandsaut.org/

Hmm interesting.
I found another one
http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/technology/space_diving_010608-1.html

So you may try jump from 40 km while travelling by plane at Mach 0.5 with suborbital trajectory. But how about jumping from a spacecraft at 150km which is travelling at Mach 28??

Not only is the heat of entry, it is the aerodynamic element of hypersonic speeds which could break a human body.

If a space shuttle and an Apollo capsule had to be designed that way not to be destroyed, how could an outfit protect against such conditions?

Is there any way a human can survive that when doing some space parachuting?

jedimaster1214

CDR-LMP-CMP
Reaction score
When you look at a NASA ISS photo and right-click drag to try and get a better angle!

HeHeHe, I do this with Youtube videos....

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

You are truly addicted to Orbiter when you re-create New Horizons to Pluto. In real time.

I once did a real-time "mission" in the DG IV once. One orbit around the Earth.
my experiment was the effects of Sodium Bicarbonate in vinegar, food was a tin of tuna fish. Drinks were water in plastic bags with a straw. To simulate photography, I got out the digicam and took a few snaps of the Earth in the screen. Fortunately it was only 90 minutes so I didn't have to use the potty.

LOL, I did this last week with AMSO.....during the 40th anniversary of Apollo 11.
Also....
...when you ask your flight instructor to convert MPH to m/s

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
When you mark October 10th, 2008 on your calender.
A cookie to whoever knows what happened (or was predicted to happen) that day.

brandonman

Reaction score
October 10th, 2008 - Wasn't that around the "Financial Meltdown" of the DOW?

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
When your computer is in storage, so over the course of a few months you download about a gigabyte's worth of Orbiter and addons onto your mom's crappy laptop without her finding the deep-hidden Orbiter file.
I did the same thing one time. Then I took it off because I think she found out.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
So you may try jump from 40 km while travelling by plane at Mach 0.5 with suborbital trajectory. But how about jumping from a spacecraft at 150km which is travelling at Mach 28??

Aside from reentry heat, which would be a problem, all that really matters is your *indicated* airspeed, which will be much lower than your actual airspeed at high altitudes. The terminal velocity of the human body is only about 120 mph (indicated airspeed), so you should be safe from breakup from aerodynamic forces. (Reentry heating, OTOH, is very likely to kill you).

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

When you subscribe to a newsfeed from Orbiter-Forum and see a topic "What is the point of this game?"...and KNOW before you get to the forum it will have dozens of replies AND be locked out by a moderator.
:rofl:

That only requires the smallest modicum of familiarity with the internet, and not any special addiction to Orbiter.

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
You know you're addicted to orbiter when you...
1) Freak out because you lost a project
2) Spend the majority of your day working on a project
3) Tell your friends about the project
4) Want to show your friends the completed project

Guilty of all 4 :p

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Aside from reentry heat, which would be a problem, all that really matters is your *indicated* airspeed, which will be much lower than your actual airspeed at high altitudes. The terminal velocity of the human body is only about 120 mph (indicated airspeed), so you should be safe from breakup from aerodynamic forces. (Reentry heating, OTOH, is very likely to kill you).

Terminal velocity you mention refers to a velocity in the dense part of atmosphere.

When you enter atmosphere at hypersonic speeds you better have a nicely streamlined shape (like space shuttle) to have aerodynamic flow around you, so that colder lower pressure airflow protects you from surrounding plasma. Else turbulence caused by drag allows plasma around you to burn you.

Nemoricus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Whenever you type the word orbit, you have a fifty-fifty chance of trying to capitalize the 'o'. (Very, very guilty.)

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
... when you have a facebook album containing snapshots of various stages of various journeys made in Orbiter.

(guilty: )

When you look at these images full screen and start trying to take control of them with various Orbiter commands (repost of various other comments, I know...)

Kilo

Reaction score
Website
www.Kilo-Soft.de
...when you draw green lines onto your windshild in your car in order to have a HUD

...when you press CTRL + Arrows in your car to change your position!

...when your friends call you Martin Schweiger!!

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
When you launch something at night and set up a rendezvous to occur about when you plan to wake up so you can have something to do while your drip coffee is percolating (super guilty).

Kveldulf

Reaction score
When you have a dream, that DanSteph released info on the DGV, and that it will be out within a month. You then wake up trying to convince yourself that it really happened.

Sadly, this just happened when I woke up. I couldnt help but be dissapointed when I got to his site, and found out it was just a dream though.