Question Your favorite music genre(s)?

Kendo

Reaction score
Rock, Dance, most Jazz, Classical, anything except commercial pop.
Rock is probably my favourite.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Stranglely enough for someone born in the nineties, Ive actually found that I really like Sinatra-era music. Nothin but blue skies, do I see!!! ;)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Heavy Metal and some Folk music from time to time.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I like : 60's-70's (U.S. branch) rock, folk in general (as long as it isn't stupidly commercial), jazz (some sub-styles more than others), blues (from the first recordings to today), some funk too, classical (not a big fan of "baroque", though, entschüldigungen, Herr Bach), latino... The Doors (yes, it's a genre :lol:). Some movie music also (J. Horner, H. Zimmer...). Vocals in the "medieval" genre (Era...).

I don't like : electronic/synthetic music, disco, dance, trance, house, techno, heavy-metal, rap, slam... The Beatles, surprisingly (well, apart interplanetary tubes like "Yellow Submarine" or "Imagine", of course).

Last edited:

Interceptor

Reaction score
Heavy metal folk,80s,70,60s,90s, classical.Oops forgot some Jazz,and big bands too.

Last edited:

sorindafabico

Reaction score
Mostly heavy metal and classic rock, but I like some western classical and folk brazilian music too - and some random songs from other genres.

Keatah

Reaction score
Late 60's through 80's rock. And space ambient

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have a weird love of film and video game soundtracks. Outside of that, I listen to much atmospheric or ambient sound, modern classical, big band, folk, and some classic rock. Commercial pop's cookie-cutter formula doesn't do it for me, but now and then there's a song I like. For the most part, I don't like listening to songs with obvious lyrics, preferring either no lyrics at all, or metaphorical or otherwise not obvious lyrics. I think music's greatest potential is in the unspoken emotions it can carry and inspire (thus the dislike of mundane "ooooh I wanna go get drunk and maybe have sex with a hot guy/girl" theme of most pop and rock, and complete exclusion of almost all 'urban' genres like hip-hop and rap.)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
thus the dislike of mundane "ooooh I wanna go get drunk and maybe have sex with a hot guy/girl" theme of most pop and rock

I would especially note "Highway to hell" as counter-example there. :lol:

EDIT: And ZZ Tops famous "La Grange" is also exactly about that theme... and far from mundane.

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I would especially note "Highway to hell" as counter-example there. :lol:

EDIT: And ZZ Tops famous "La Grange" is also exactly about that theme... and far from mundane.
Well, the 30 seconds of him talking are counterbalanced by the three minutes of rockin' guitar. Still, I couldn't care less for the lyrics; just not that kind of person (though I end up listening to ZZ Top now and then, while on an 'Other Music' listening spree.)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, I would also not exclude all "urban music" personally... while my music is Heavy Metal, I also like listening to quite a few other songs, that are exceptions from the usual boredom of their respective styles. While 99% of hip-hop is just a more sophisticated form of saying "I have got a big pipe", there are also great songs that disturb the average hip-hop audience. Especially the tracks that are critical of the gangsta rap culture are pretty interesting, both from USA and Germany in my context. But for the usual audience, it is simply too intellectual.

And who could forget the epic "Bonanzarad" by Fishmob :rofl:

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My favorite is anything country of bluegrass. No other music will ever overcome my love of the old style, bluegrass/gospel combo.

Apart from that, I'm really starting to like this K/J-pop. It's something else!

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
the ballads of the 60s and 50s, big bands just like Bruce, but most of the time, I'm hearing at either Soul or Jazz, I'm particularly fond of smooth jazz.

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
While back in high school, when I used to listen to two things: Metallica and Miles Davis . . .

. . . I still have a place in my heart reserved for the early-mid 1990's (back when the common wonderance was "Alternative music? Just what the hell is that?" . . . "It's 'Alternative!'" . . . "Alternative to what?" . . . "Uhh . . . you just don't get it . . ." . . . "Get what?") -- back when names like Alice in Chains, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Queensryche and Stone Temple Pilots(1) were heard every day on the radio.

Give it away, now!

My latest spat has been a full-fledged cannonball into the vast pool that is foreign (at least to me) music. Kipelov-era Ария has been consistently at the top of my list.

(1) . . . yes, I alphabetized that list on the fly. Not exactly the intention, but it works. :)

(Why do I seem to come off as sounding like Ducky Mallard every time I go off on these tangents?)

Last edited:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Well my favorites are all over the place, however jazz (from the old classics of the Louis Armstrong days to piano jazz to newer variants like smooth jazz and "lounge music") has always remain my favorite music genre. However I also listen to anything from rock (metal rock for my jogging sessions :thumbup:), classical symphonies to some of the most popular singers and bands around the world (Hong Kong Cantonese pop songs, some Japanese and even world renowned ones like Lady Gaga and many of the best of the 1980s; most of them have distinct styles that I like).

I don't understand why rap (and to a lesser extent Korean dance pop) has managed to invade the world so successfully - it means that today's most popular singers from Hong Kong to the world are generally worse than those of the golden days of the 1980-90s...... :huh: :(

dutchpirate

XR Fleet Skin Designer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
When in the right mood almost any mainstream genre except for really twangy country or heavy/gangsta rap. Really digging dubstep lately, too. My usual go-to is still EDM (electronic dance music), Tiesto, Afrojack, SvD, Ferry Corsten, etc (hmm, those were all Dutch DJs...coincidence? :hmm: