GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Alright, folks, with the staff hat on:

OF Staff Note: Please keep this this thread on topic. Discussion about the intricacies and detriments of Asperger's syndrome, mental health in general, and other topics should be posted in their own threads in the relevant forums, not appended here.

paddy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
To ALL
When I first responded to this thread it may have been as much about my bad mood that that moment in time as any thing else. I also ( for what ever daft reason) felt the need to "defend" the folk who had let me have the use of something they had spend 100's of hours working on. I will hasten to add some of those hours have been helping me.

It was not to start a flame war, it was not to attack any one who has issues over how a team should be run or why you have to join my gang.

I am sorry you have wasted part of your life listening to me but thank you for it. I am sorry that people who have better things to do have felt the need to respond. This whole thread could have just faded away if I had kept my mouth shut.

BUT please keep working on 'dem add on's. I may not like every one, I may not use every one. But I am glad for 'em

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am sorry you have wasted part of your life listening to me but thank you for it.

No worries, I wasted parts of my life on more stupid things :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
No worries, I wasted parts of my life on more stupid things :lol:

I am not sure if I ever really wasted parts of life. In hindsight, every moment had served its purpose, even if it was just for teaching me a valuable lesson about basic physical phenomena.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Developement teams are present on O-F all the time in various forms.

Look at SSU, Orbiter Forum Italia (yes, I know they have separate board but that's not the point as they gather feedback from here and post updates here), French team(s) (DG-IV, Orbiter sound, UCGO, Orcus Patera, Pappy's addons etc), Dbeachy1 (Altea) and various 3d artists, etc... (that's just from the top of my head. Sorry if I ommited someone)

All of those teams are working per project basis, they're created for particular project and with certain goals in mind.

If you want to improve orbiter in some way then:

1. Define your goal.

Vauge "making Orbiter better" won't gather audience. Identify problems new users may have with Orbiter. Try to think about solutions for those problems.

Maybe some things might be solved by simply including simple tutorial scenarios, step by step easy to understand PDF document regarding working with Orbiter or youtube video tutorial. Maybe it'll need separate app that'll generate scenario file and then launch orbiter with this scenario loaded.

UI wise there is still room to improvement but just pointing at KSP won't solve any. Ask yourself (or others) what UI elements need to change and how they're need to change. Write your thoughts about it, draw proposed solution on a piece of paper (flow chart) and think at least 10 times if your proposed solution will be more convinient for new user.

2. Investigate your solution

Orbiter has quite extensive API so many things can be done via 3rd party add-on. Check if you can do it. You claim being at intermediate college level in programing. Even if you don't know C++, I'm sure you know the term "pseudo code" and you're familiar with object oriented programming, therefore if you don't know C++, you can write your ideas in pseudocode.

3. Propose your goal with groundwork you've done to achieve it. Define skills that'd be needed.

No one will jump into project without prior information. Time is money and developement takes lots of time. Those are not 5 minute / 1 hour jobs you know. If you want someone to commit to project you need to present information, so that pearson can assess, if project have chance of being done and have ballpark figure how much work it'd need.

O-F is a place for that as we have programmers, 2d & 3d artists and, many people with extensive spaceflight knowledge. Many of folks here worked on enterprise level software and are familiar even with massive codebase, working within API limitations etc, UI design etc.

Before posting provide all that info you've gathered. Even tyrants leaders do their homework. Inspirational speech is not enough.

4. Know your place in the project

Don't demand features, but check with fellow developers if feature is possible. Don't throw in new features while project is underway without consulting how it'll affect rest of the project. Help wherever you can to the best of your abilities.

Belive me, being a leader is not the same as being tyrant. And since you have no real authority in volunteer-based project, mismanagement will quickly result in people leaving you.

Without those people Orbiter would be probably limited to 5 default vessels. At this point we have 4,428 add-ons on OHM not counting external sites. I think that speaks for itself.

Keep in mind that's just brief overview and handfull of tips but that's where you start.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
O-F Staff Note: Thread closed at the request of the op

Status
Not open for further replies.