DG Booster Ring Project

HarvesteR

Reaction score
hello...

just thought i'd post a pic of my Booster Ring project for the Delta Glider...
mind that this is a 3DMax rendering composed in photoshop, and in no way the finished project

composite1.jpg

i have the mesh pretty much done now... might add some detail later... i didn't want to make it more detailed than the DG also, because i want them to blend... for that reason i also 'borrowed' the DGs textures for the ring.. saves memory and time too... since this is my first project, i didn't wanna spend a lot of time working on the visual model, so i can get to the fun part which is the actual 'getting it into orbiter' part... plus if you recolor the DG, the ring will change color accordingly ;)

the 'theory' here is that the Ring is a small but efficient particle accelerator, that collides particles together and expels them out the thruster nozzles, generating an incredible amount of thrust using very little fuel... :speakcool:

the idea is that the ring will stay in orbit, and the DG will launch and couple with it before going to a distant planet and use it's massive thrusters to accelerate quickly, then when on a stable orbit around the destination, it will decouple and reenter on it's own, just like in Star Wars

i thought i might make it powerful enough to be able to navigate on a straight line towards the destination, like hyper-sped fast... but i'm not too sure... i know there are some MFDs around for that sort of navigation, but i don't know if it takes the fun out of the sim... the other idea is to simply make a it very fuel efficient and powerful engine that can do all the burns in little time and make orbital maneuvers quicker

let me know what you think

Cheers :cheers:

HarvesteR

Bluefinger

Reaction score
Looks pretty cool actually, but a few questions:

1. Will it be compatible with other variations of the DG, such as DG-IV or DG XR1?
  2. How will you refuel it? That is if it has a limited amount of fuel. Would it be a case of docking with the ISS with it attached or what?
  3. Even for a lot of thrust, would it be comparable to the DG's engines, or smaller, but due to its efficiency, will allow for longer burns that propel the craft to much higher speeds for only a small amount of fuel? Might also be better that way as it would allow for more accurate transfers.
Just curious :)

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Since this is not only a very very cool project (I like the texture choice!), but also a very powerfull engine, keep in mind that the DG has no inertia dampeners on board, so unless they come with the ring, you are quite limited on the thrust provided.

Jarvitä

Reaction score
Since this is not only a very very cool project (I like the texture choice!), but also a very powerfull engine, keep in mind that the DG has no inertia dampeners on board, so unless they come with the ring, you are quite limited on the thrust provided.

Blasphemy. The first rule of bad sci-fi is that every ship, from omfg-sized planet bombers to one-man fighters comes with automagical inertial dampers and artificial gravity.

HarvesteR

Reaction score
ok i will answer one question at a time

- compatibility will depend on whether i have to mod the DG to work with the Ring or not... if i manage to make it attach only using the docking port, then i think it might just be compatible with all versions... the downside is that it won't be able to dock to a station while attached...
i might have to mod the DG to add a new attachpoint to it's underside... then if it's going to be compatible with other versions, i might have to mod them all... i'm not sure about this so far... i guess we'll see how it turns out, since i'm handling one problem at a time

- refueling might be done just like that actually... if it's attached to the underside, the docking port will still be free... but it's engines are driven by nuclear fusion apparently :p so refueling might not be necessary unless you're planning on making a trip with multiple stops

-i'm still wondering if the Ring will have Super powerful hyper-drive engines capable of straight-line navigation, like in Star Wars, or just really high fuel efficiency and somewhat greater thrust (like an attached SRB) for accurate and fast transfers.... or both... i was planning on making those smallers nozzles into 'maneuver thrusters' to adjust orbits and stuff when to main engines are too powerful for accuracy

and yeah i hadn't thought about inertia dampers... hmmm... maybe the acceleration could be set at 1G, so the ship could burn all the way there, like the tintin rocket... or maybe the Ring has it's own inertia damper... still not sure

and yes, it is intentional... my first idea was to make the whole Jedi Starfighter... but then i thought it would be cooler and easier for a first project to make an addon for the DG

thanks for the feedback :cheers:

Cheers

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Booster Ring project for the Delta Glider
Nice idea! That's one i'am looking forward to play with...

Do you plan to make a DLL for it?
Will it only have conventional engines, or there will be a warp drive variant?

HarvesteR

Reaction score
i'm not sure if i'll make a .dll for it yet... i might if no generic vessel dll works for this application...

i also thought of making an MFD for it, but that's a whole other project almost...

i might take this thing in steps... first get it into orbiter as simply as possible, then expand from there... custom .dll, control panel MFD and all that

abouit the hyper drive, that's still a question to me... i might make it both ways... maybe the big engines will provide hyper speed thrust, while the smaller ones could be used for orbital maneuvers for those who like to take 'the scenic route'

but i have no idea as of now how to make any of these things, so first things first, i should get that mesh into orbiter ;) and then try to dock with it

Cheers

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Looks great! As there's currently no MFD that can calculate constant, low-thrust flight plans, probably worth going for somewhere around 3g acceleration (for the sake of the DG's occupants).

penlu

Reaction score
Wowzors. I like the colors. It's a great idea.

Say there's a bar across the front. Te ship to be boosted docks to the middle of the bar, and there's another dock on the other side of that bar so that the ring could dock to a space station.

Last edited:

Russ_H

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Nice work

Hi

I have given the Dg a complete over haul and re textured it with 2048 x 2048 maps. I intend to add orbiter sound and ummu and then release the source with it. I have un hard coded the mesh group numbers and I was working on the vc when I was last working on it a bout 6 months ago.

If you would like I would be happy to give you the model and code.

Russ

Here are some pic's.

dg_03.jpg

dg_02.jpg

dg_01.jpg

Overmind5000

DGIV Areonautics expert
Reaction score
Blasphemy. The first rule of bad sci-fi is that every ship, from omfg-sized planet bombers to one-man fighters comes with automagical inertial dampers and artificial gravity.
dude, I'd say that EVERY sci-fi ship has inertial dampeners and one-man ships don't have artificial gravity. They are smart and wear seat belts. Artificial gravity is not necessary unless you have a ship with other rooms in it instead of the cockpit.

thegrogen

Reaction score
dude, I'd say that EVERY sci-fi ship has inertial dampeners and one-man ships don't have artificial gravity. They are smart and wear seat belts. Artificial gravity is not necessary unless you have a ship with other rooms in it instead of the cockpit.

The Discovery from 2001 didn't have "inertial dampeners"...

Talon1

Semi-Intermediate Add-on Dev.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
hello...

just thought i'd post a pic of my Booster Ring project for the Delta Glider...
mind that this is a 3DMax rendering composed in photoshop, and in no way the finished project

composite1.jpg

i have the mesh pretty much done now... might add some detail later... i didn't want to make it more detailed than the DG also, because i want them to blend... for that reason i also 'borrowed' the DGs textures for the ring.. saves memory and time too... since this is my first project, i didn't wanna spend a lot of time working on the visual model, so i can get to the fun part which is the actual 'getting it into orbiter' part... plus if you recolor the DG, the ring will change color accordingly ;)

the 'theory' here is that the Ring is a small but efficient particle accelerator, that collides particles together and expels them out the thruster nozzles, generating an incredible amount of thrust using very little fuel... :speakcool:

the idea is that the ring will stay in orbit, and the DG will launch and couple with it before going to a distant planet and use it's massive thrusters to accelerate quickly, then when on a stable orbit around the destination, it will decouple and reenter on it's own, just like in Star Wars

i thought i might make it powerful enough to be able to navigate on a straight line towards the destination, like hyper-sped fast... but i'm not too sure... i know there are some MFDs around for that sort of navigation, but i don't know if it takes the fun out of the sim... the other idea is to simply make a it very fuel efficient and powerful engine that can do all the burns in little time and make orbital maneuvers quicker

let me know what you think

Cheers :cheers:

HarvesteR
DUDE!!!!!!! THATS AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!:speakcool:
when and where can I get it???:)

Last edited:

HiPotOk1978

ReFuel L.L.C CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well I can totally see using that to get my butt to the moon faster, leaving it in orbit, landing. A few Ideas for refueling if u still working on how to solve it. Add a 2nd docking port on the opposite side of the one that u use to attach the DG... that way you can Ummu attach DGIV pods or whatever to it as well as a ship. Are you going to make it skinnable??? I can totally see ReFuel purchasing a few of these as well as someone ordering refueling for the ones they left in orbit.

Maybe a cross support and cockpit so when u dock your DGIV, you open the airlock, transfer your captain to the booster cockpit and fly from there?

-EDIT-
Right when I saved this, I just thought, WOW!!! this will make getting to Mercury LOTS easier!

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
You know, I took a crack at bringing the HyperRing into Orbiter when I first started tinkering ..... I was going to use attach points to mate ship-to-ship ....... maybe it's time I dug thru my old ideas now that I have a handle on attach points and mesh up some sort of universal cradle for it so that it could be used for more than the JediFighter......