Question EVE Online ships in Orbiter. Interest?

EndeavourCmdr

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I found a pretty quick and easy way to import EVE online 3D models into Orbiter. Below is one of each of the 4 factions most well known ships. Would there be interest in me doing a set of these? (wouldn't take long or be hard to do, that's the only reason I'm asking).

winterhunter.jpg

Myrmidon.jpg

raven.jpg

Tempest.jpg

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Sorry to ruin your fun, but orbiter has (in vanilla) no specular or bump mapping, so they 'ain't going to look as good. regardless of this the 3d models in the EVE Online client are copyright CCP, you can't use them.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
actually, we already have some EVE-models in orbiter (Chimera for one, forgot the name of the other...), and there was quite some demand for more if I remember right.

If I remember correctly, the author of those even asked CCP for permission, and they gave it under the condition that the models would not be used in any commercial purposes. (Orbiter's free nature actually helps a lot in getting permission for this stuff. Even if you use meshes for a non-commercial add-on, some people are reluctant to give permission if the add-on is for a commercial program).

Also, D3D9 and D3D11 clients do support normal maps, and there is still a dire lack of high-grade models for them.

I'd say go for it!

EndeavourCmdr

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I already looked into all of this, so I know they are okay to use =)
And of course I am aware that there is no specular or bump-mapping in Orbiter, but the textures are at least there, and there are reflectivity options in the mesh file, so I can make it look decent at the very least.

EndeavourCmdr

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm not sure about those clients, I'm still using the vanilla Orbiter, because for some reason I get impossibly low framerates using anything but the standard client. If I load up any of the Orbiter Visualization Project ones, I get fps < 8, which is obviously unacceptable. My pc isn't up to par.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A few years ago Vash acquired permission to upload some converted EVE vessels. They're rather nicely done and even have animated exhaust. Not sure if he has the time or motivation to do any more these days; you could maybe ask for the source code, though.

Edit: Come to think of it, we are suddenly in need of an intergalactic battlecruiser. Anything in EVE that would fit this bill? Converted mesh would be cool, I can help with code. :)

Last edited:

Goth

Occasional orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score
Would there be interest in me doing a set of these?
Yep. Sadly Vash didn't do other ships, so it will be cool if you go on with this idea. Having big mother ships to use as space stations in Orbiter to dock with smaller ships it's cool.