Project French Guyana Airports and Cessna 172

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
May I suggest the Robin DR-400 ? A classic on French airfields :)

20120325_club_fgylc_34-1024x512.jpg

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
very nice aircraft.... :love:

But it was very hard for me to make this Cessna 172 so... I think it will be for another time...

when I finish this add-on, I will get back to rockets!!! :cool:

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
Some news from my Cessna :

Thanks to Max-Q :
the flight characteristics of the aircraft are greatly improved : this is exactly what I was looking for !!!!
:hailprobe:

so again a big thank you to Max-Q

The add-on is not finished yet (still a lot to do) but there will be an English version !!!! ;)

Sans titre-3.jpg

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
So today's video shows you something I added to my futur Cessna !!! (With Fred18's VesselBuilder module)

In this small video, just look at the anemometer needle (bottom left of your screen) in relation to the air-speed (which you can see on the MFD on the right)

So the needle only "jumps" but that's not bad... for me !
There are 6 positions
1) stall speed
2) rotation speed
3) cruising speed
4) maxi speed
5) limiting speed
6) excessive speed

Of course I could do better (for example every 10 knots, but at each "needle jump" in the "VesselBuilder" file there is :
  • an "animation definition" section (6 lines)
  • a section defining the parameters of the animation (14 lines)
  • an "on event" section (10 lines)
  • an "off event" section (10 lines)
so 40 lines in total, and so for my simple "thing" there are 40x6=240 lines....

I think I'll stop there.... 😓

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
A short video to show you my latest addition to the Cessna dashboard:
No, they don't work like real instruments. 🤔
These are only indicators for the Cessna control surfaces but the needles are moving ! ;)
(the watch really works)

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
Hi

I am preparing my Cessna to release this aircraft soon.

My "aerodromes of French Guiana" add-on is not yet finished, so I decided to publish this plane beforehand and "alone", which will be integrated into my future add-on.

Here are some pictures:

OH IMG main.jpgIMG 01.jpgIMG 02.jpgIMG 03.jpgIMG 04.jpgIMG 05.jpgIMG 06.jpgIMG 07.jpgIMG 08.jpg

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
This plane should have been published with my future add-on "Cessna and Guyana Aerodromes".
But this add-on is not ready yet because I still have a lot of details and some small problems to solve.
I realized that I started modeling this plane 3 years ago!
So I decided to publish this plane "as is".

This plane which uses the superb Fred18's Vesselbuilder module, I think it is a good example of all the possibilities that this amazing module gives.
I created no less than 95 animations, and 72 events (for those who know this module)

Do not hesitate to send me your remarks, I will take them into account for the next release because this plane will be the central point of my future add-on "Cessna and Guyana Aerodromes".

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
Oups...
I just realized that I forgot a texture!!! 🙄 ( see orange circle on the image)

oups.jpg

upload the Cessna_0D.zip file, then unzip this zip file ( DDS file inside ) directly into ...\Textures\Cessna folder

My add-on archive zip file is now updated. 🤒
all my apologies... 🤔

Attachments

• Cessna_0D.zip
    98.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
A short video with excerpts from the lesson "how to deliver a supply crate for the village of Trois-Sauts" in French Guyana.
Everything is automatic (except for the end), thanks to the commands available with DanSteph's Orbitersound.
( the texts are in English).

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
I've downloaded the Cessna addon and really like it (works well with the latest Orbiter beta). It offers a more contemplative way of enjoying the scenery than zooming past with a high-powered space-plane :).

One thing I find a bit curious is the flight model. If you pull on the stick, the plane pitches up and starts climbing, but when you then release the stick again, instead of settling back into an equilibrium pitch, it just stays at its attitude as if there was a hidden "kill rotation" mode at work. Is this some sort of autopilot setting? I am not a pilot, but from flight simulator experience I wouldn't have expected this behaviour.

I am wondering if this may be an indication that the engine is overpowered. For propeller engines, the generated thrust depends on a variety of parameters (propeller geometry, air density) but crucially also airspeed. For example, this page has some information on propeller performance. According to this, the generated thrust is inversely proportional to airspeed (towards the bottom of the page). So assuming a fixed thrust value won't provide a good flight model. I don't know if the framework you are using to define the Cessna flight model allows to incorporate that effect. But maybe it's something to keep in mind in case you switch to a custom implementation at some later stage.

Last edited:

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
I've downloaded the Cessna addon and really like it (works well with the latest Orbiter beta). It offers a more contemplative way of enjoying the scenery than zooming past with a high-powered space-plane :).

:hailprobe::salute:

Hello Monsieur

First of all, let me tell you that I'm honoured (and it is a pleasure for me ! ) that you tried my add-on.
This is the first time you send me a message, and I'm very proud for this !!!

(And happy that my Cessna works with the beta of Orbiter, I had not tested it on this version).
Hello Monsieur

First of all, let me tell you that I'm honoured (and it is a pleasure for me ! ) that you tried my add-on.
This is the first time you send me a message, and I'm very proud for this !!!

(And happy that my Cessna works with the beta of Orbiter, I had not tested it on this version).

One thing I find a bit curious is the flight model. If you pull on the stick, the plane pitches up and starts climbing, but when you then release the stick again, instead of settling back into an equilibrium pitch, it just stays at its attitude as if there was a hidden "kill rotation" mode at work. Is this some sort of autopilot setting? I am not a pilot, but from flight simulator experience I wouldn't have expected this behaviour.
Regarding the issue you are pointing out : unfortunately, yes, you are right.

I must confess that I am not very experienced with the parameters of control surfaces and wings.

At first, the aircraft's nose pitched down . I managed to get a compromise, now it stays roughly in horizontal flight.
Max-Q helped me with the flight parameters : it is more compliant with reality.
But yes, when this aircraft is climbing, its attitude remains the same with the joystic in neutral position...

I am wondering if this may be an indication that the engine is overpowered. For propeller engines, the generated thrust depends on a variety of parameters (propeller geometry, air density) but crucially also airspeed. For example, this page has some information on propeller performance. According to this, the generated thrust is inversely proportional to airspeed (towards the bottom of the page). So assuming a fixed thrust value won't provide a good flight model. I don't know if the framework you are using to define the Cessna flight model allows to incorporate that effect. But maybe it's something to keep in mind in case you switch to a custom implementation at some later stage.
Thanks for the link, I'll have a look on this, but... for me it is... hmm... elaborate ! :unsure:
I take this opportunity to call for help : if someone has the solution, I am obviously interested !!!

Thank you again for your message which made me very very happy ! :giggle:

And... I'll try to make better, but... It's not my profession... I'm doctor like you... but medical ! (medecin généraliste + aviation medicine (and scubadiving too) graduations)

Best regards

Last edited:

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
You might try reducing the rotation drag to close to zero, that may fix the attitude issue.
Hi

I tried one thing:

If you edit the ...\Config\Vessels\VesselBuilder1\VB_Cesnna.cfg file, there is this section (at the beginning) :

;<-------------------------GENERAL SETTINGS - Setting: 0----------------- -------->

EMPTY_MASS = 5000
VSIZE = 5
PMI = 4.3 1.32 3.52
C SECTIONS = 10 60 6
GRAVITYGDAMP=0
ROTDRAG = 2 0.5 2

I changed the X value of ROTDRAG
with 0 ... and it's a disaster
but may be 1 0.5 2 seems better?

I think a value of X between 1 and 2 is fine ? But I'm not sure... :unsure:

If you have the time (and the inclination) to make test, I would be happy to have your opinion. :hailprobe:

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
At first, the aircraft's nose pitched down . I managed to get a compromise, now it stays roughly in horizontal flight.
Max-Q helped me with the flight parameters : it is more compliant with reality.
But yes, when this aircraft is climbing, its attitude remains the same with the joystic in neutral position...
A nose-down tendency could also be caused by centre of gravity vs. centre of pressure misalignment.
In a "stable" aircraft configuration, the centre of pressure (the reference point where the wings' lift vector is acting) is positioned behind the centre of gravity (the reference point where the weight vector is acting). Together, those two forces produce a "nose-down" momentum, which is counter-acted by the tail wing, which generates an inverted (downward) lift force which brings the nose back up. So if your Cessna has a nose-down tendency, it may indicate that the centre of pressure is too far aft of the centre of gravity, or that the tail's downward lift is too small.