OHM G42-200 StarLiner WIP-302

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
It's been a while since I used the G42-200, but from what I recall, isn't the payload bay like, space shuttle bay sized? And it just looks small compared to how big the spacecraft is. Either way, the size of this bay seems a lot more realistic for a SSTO spaceplane than compared to that of the XR5. Compare it to the Skylon's design, and how tiny the payload bay is compared to the rest of it, even though the bay is actually pretty decently sized and Skylon just makes it look small compared to how hulking huge the rest of the spacecraft is.

By the way, any word on G42-200's development?

Moach has kinda left the Orbiter community, as his brother's game is far more popular...

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
It is slightly smaller than shuttle bay size iirc, it has been a while since I messed around with the attachment points so I could be mistaken.

White Owl

Reaction score
It's been a while since I used the G42-200, but from what I recall, isn't the payload bay like, space shuttle bay sized? And it just looks small compared to how big the spacecraft is. Either way, the size of this bay seems a lot more realistic for a SSTO spaceplane than compared to that of the XR5. Compare it to the Skylon's design, and how tiny the payload bay is compared to the rest of it, even though the bay is actually pretty decently sized and Skylon just makes it look small compared to how hulking huge the rest of the spacecraft is.

I haven't (yet) figured out how the payload bay compares to the shuttle, but these points you mention are exactly why I don't like the XR5. It's silly-tech, no cockpit, and ugly too. This StarLiner is semi-sorta-plausible, has quite possibly the best cockpit in Orbiter, and looks seriously badass.

If I find a payload that I absolutely have to launch but won't fit... I'll swallow my pride and use a rocket.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Yeah the XR5 is ridiculous in pretty much every regard. A giant flying beluga whale that has enough space and power to uplift an entire death star in one SSTO go. I never found using that thing fun to build stuff with, it just made it too easy.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Yeah the XR5 is ridiculous in pretty much every regard. A giant flying beluga whale that has enough space and power to uplift an entire death star in one SSTO go. I never found using that thing fun to build stuff with, it just made it too easy.

But would you use it in KSP? ;)

(Yes, someone is porting the XR family to KSP... and there's hints of a possible Arrow Freighter port as well.)

White Owl

Reaction score
KSP may arguably have a higher tolerance for silly-tech, but also features few excuses for making an ugly spaceship. If you build ugly in that game, it means you either have no sense of beauty or are just too lazy to care. Both options are very sad. And using a prebuilt ugly ship is even more lazy! No, I would not use the XR5 in KSP, assuming I ever picked KSP up again.

I set the StarLiner and shuttle Atlantis next to each other and opened the payload bays. The G42's bay appears to be exactly as long as the shuttle's, but approximately 25% narrower. So it's a good point that using this bird for things like station building might not work so well.

Lisias

Space Traveller Wanna-be
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
KSP may arguably have a higher tolerance for silly-tech, but also features few excuses for making an ugly spaceship. If you build ugly in that game, it means you either have no sense of beauty or are just too lazy to care.

KSP is a videogamish simulator, after all.

I remember the times I was playing JANE's simulator (Israeli Air Force was specially interesting, besides US Navy Fighters was my favorite). I was the only one playing that in my group of friends - everybody else was playing MGS Crimson Skies (or similars).

Crimson Skies was a hell of a game - but it was a game. JANE's gave me the "real deal".

KSP goes the same way. Nice game, nice graphics. But Orbiter is the one that give me the "real deal".

romanasul

Reaction score
Does anybody here have problems running G42 with the latest R15 Dx9 client? I'm getting a D3D9Surface.cpp error and the game crashes.

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Ive have tried to get ahold of moach recently. here and on KSP forums and no luck. Would anybody like to team-up and get this in KSP?

Reaction score
Does anybody here have problems running G42 with the latest R15 Dx9 client? I'm getting a D3D9Surface.cpp error and the game crashes.

:hello: Right here, same error, seems like it wasn't made to be d3d9 compatible. For me in particular it crashes when I try to enable burner/reheat.Unfortunately, with a slighly newer hardware it's impossible to play Orbiter without using d3d9 which really sucks seeing as lots of addons aren't compatible with it. :/

Nikogori

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
orbinautjp.github.io
:hello: Right here, same error, seems like it wasn't made to be d3d9 compatible. For me in particular it crashes when I try to enable burner/reheat.Unfortunately, with a slighly newer hardware it's impossible to play Orbiter without using d3d9 which really sucks seeing as lots of addons aren't compatible with it. :/

You can use D3D9Client R15.1. This should work with G42.

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
No problems here ;)
0pSsGKB.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
You can use D3D9Client R15.1. This should work with G42.

Oh, it does, thank you very much! Time to boost her into orbit properly now ;)

Although, does anybody have any suggestions for reentry, AttitudeMFD, AutoFCS, AeroBrake, nothing I try works with it, I just can't seem to hold the attitude during reentry no matter what :)

Last edited:

Fire Wolf

Reaction score
Does anybody have any suggestions for reentry, AttitudeMFD, AutoFCS, AeroBrake, nothing I try works with it, I just can't seem to hold the attitude during reentry no matter what :)

Did you try using the COG shift? Keys '-' and '=' control it. I can't remember which key goes which way though. If you press one and your situation gets worse, press the other one instead :tiphat:

Keep in mind that the COG shift changes in largish steps, and there's no indication of how far forward or back it is. IIRC, 5-6 steps back gives a good 45 deg AoA. It is slightly negatively stable at that high of an AoA, so you'll need to keep a good eye on your pitch, or use an autopilot.

Other than that, I use AeroBrake during reentry to calculate landing point.

One more thing--don't forget to raise the wingtips! :cheers:

Reaction score
Did you try using the COG shift? Keys '-' and '=' control it. I can't remember which key goes which way though. If you press one and your situation gets worse, press the other one instead :tiphat:

Keep in mind that the COG shift changes in largish steps, and there's no indication of how far forward or back it is. IIRC, 5-6 steps back gives a good 45 deg AoA. It is slightly negatively stable at that high of an AoA, so you'll need to keep a good eye on your pitch, or use an autopilot.

Other than that, I use AeroBrake during reentry to calculate landing point.

One more thing--don't forget to raise the wingtips! :cheers:

Oh, it works like a charm, thanks heaps!