Gaming Hielor's Minecraft Server

Shinrar

Reaction score
Thoughts - cover the redstone. I seem to remember Snow being bad for redstone laying around. >.<

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Just built a canal through that island south of the harbor, so you don't have to go around the island to get to/from the mushroom island.

---------- Post added at 03:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 AM ----------

For the gate, I have plenty of slimeballs and several stacks of redstone. (and of course stone is plentiful)

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Alright folks, I made the tentative design for the wall's gate. Any suggestions, critiques, or concerns about it can be brought up before it is actually implemented (which may be a while, due to resource gathering). This is a very costly project, requiring a lot of stone, wood, redstone, steel, and sticky pistons (12 of them!).

Here is the view from what will be the inside of the wall, with the gate closed. The redstone you see will eventually be buried, it was just there for ease of construction. You throw a switch, and the gate opens. It is a very similar system to the one used on the vault door in the oldworld bank.
pk419.png

Here is the actual gateway, opened. An alternative design calls for solid steel all the way through, instead of the stone bricks you see in between now. That was changed due to the resource requirements.
iyyiX.png

Same view from the other side (essentially identical).
PsV6L.png

EDIT: By the way, this was made on a private creative server for ease. You won't find this on the map anywhere.

This is the top of it. You can see that there is more room than normally would be on the wall. Not sure what could go here. Perhaps someone could engineer it so the switch to open the gate is up here?
1Is8l.png

Yet another view, similar to the above.
a4PaA.png

Current designs call for a whopping 120 iron (this includes both the gate and pistons). We currently to my knowledge have 38. The reinforced gate calls for double that, 240 iron. We also need 12 slimeballs, or 24 for the reinforced gate.
120 iron isn't that much...neither is 240 :p

That said, I'm not really sure why such an extensive gate is necessary. There's absolutely no point to make the gate stronger than the wall, because things can just as easily get through the wall. More useful would be something that a person could easily get through but a mob couldn't.

Also not really sure why you'd want to use iron blocks anyway--their blast resistance is no better than stone brick or cobble. If you're looking for high blast resistance that can still be moved by pistons, end stone is the only thing better.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Gate powered by a switch? I'd do a button instead and wire it up to stay open for ~5 seconds or so and auto close. That's easy to do. If you want a switch, you can hook it up to a circuit that detects the change of redstone state (on to off, off to on) and have it send out a signal that keeps the door open for 5 seconds.

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
You can probably guess what that Creeper on top of it is thinking :lol:

...MUST... EXPLODE... :lol:

On a serious note, welcome steve! Sweet first project, even before you build your house. (I donated a bed, though).

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Just built a canal through that island south of the harbor, so you don't have to go around the island to get to/from the mushroom island.

I also thought about building a bridge to this island from just south of the Schweiger Valley National Park since its such a short distance between the land masses and I built a mine down there. I'll make sure I build it high enough that boats can travel under in case anyone is headed West.

Should we come up with a name for this island?

Also, is there a list of the map icons available in the set? I used the /dmarker icons command, but I only see the bottom part of the list even with chatbox expanded.

Thanks,
n122vu

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Also, is there a list of the map icons available in the set? I used the /dmarker icons command, but I only see the bottom part of the list even with chatbox expanded.

Thanks,
n122vu
Check the dynmap wiki...

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
Thoughts - cover the redstone. I seem to remember Snow being bad for redstone laying around. >.<
This is on the to do list, just didn't bother with the example model :lol:

120 iron isn't that much...neither is 240 :p

That said, I'm not really sure why such an extensive gate is necessary. There's absolutely no point to make the gate stronger than the wall, because things can just as easily get through the wall. More useful would be something that a person could easily get through but a mob couldn't.

Also not really sure why you'd want to use iron blocks anyway--their blast resistance is no better than stone brick or cobble. If you're looking for high blast resistance that can still be moved by pistons, end stone is the only thing better.
The extensive gate is really just for show. Really, two doors would be just as effective a gate as this, since mobs can't open them. I just figured that a wall that was so large should have a proportionally large gate. Of course, if people really don't want this, a simpler door-gate would be easy to introduce :thumbup:. The steel is for show also, much in the same way the steel of the bank vault was just for appearances. We could make it out of something else, but steel looks best in my opinion.

Gate powered by a switch? I'd do a button instead and wire it up to stay open for ~5 seconds or so and auto close. That's easy to do. If you want a switch, you can hook it up to a circuit that detects the change of redstone state (on to off, off to on) and have it send out a signal that keeps the door open for 5 seconds.
Good idea, I will implement this. It shouldn't be too hard, just one or two repeaters set high.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Is the server down?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Nothing I can do at this point. I'm travelling out of state seeing family and won't be back until the morning of the 1st.

I heard from a friend in the area that the power was out for a while this morning--if that's true it may have exceeded the duration of the UPS, which means the server went down. Unfortunately I didn't have time to set up a more robust remote management solution before I left because I was dealing with End issues in the days before I left, but that's something I'll look into next time I go anywhere.

It's still possible the server might come back up if it was a network-related outage, but possibly not.

Sorry guys. On the bright side there shouldn't be much lost work, what with the frequency of backups I'd been making...

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Good idea, I will implement this. It shouldn't be too hard, just one or two repeaters set high.

No! Badly incorrect.

If you do a circuit: Button ---> Repeater ---> Door, then the door will open with a delay and close with a delay, but will spend the same amount of time staying open.

What you need to do is create a monostable circuit. That's a circuit that is turned on, then turns itself off after a short delay. Here's how you should do it:

2011-12-26_01.46.44.png

The door acts as the powered component and the pressure plate provides the signal. There are four blocks in line. Thee of them from the top down form an and gate (the ones with redstone torches on top and a redstone wire in the middle). One input into the and gate is through the repeater set to 1 tick delay. The other input is first inverted and then sent through a delay.

When you hit the button, you trigger the circuit and it acts as a feedback loop. But you also activate the 4 repeaters that after a delay, turn the thing back off. This setup will provide power to the gate for 17 ticks, just under a second. If you want a longer delay, just add more repeaters.

Given that you're dealing with pistons and a considerable walking distance, I'd recommend a delay of 5 seconds of more, so players don't get crushed. Each second lasts 10 ticks for redstone, meaning 12 to 13 repeaters for 5 seconds. It's not expensive, but it gets bulky... you can easily put the circuit underground, though.

Pablo49

Reaction score
How about just using a flip-flop? Press to open, walk through, then press to close. The bank uses one. You never have to worry about people getting trapped or squished.