Gaming Hielor's Minecraft Server

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
How about just using a flip-flop? Press to open, walk through, then press to close. The bank uses one. You never have to worry about people getting trapped or squished.

It's generally good to keep doors that keep mobs outside on an auto-close timer for two reasons. One is that players are sometimes followed by mobs and don't have the ability to defend themselves and second is that doors players sometimes forget to close doors...

In the image I showed, you can close the door behind you by leading the inverted signal from another button into the and gate instead of the repeaters. However, you'll need to ensure that the outside button works in reverse when the player enters from the outside.

Last edited:

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What about a double-door system in which opening the outer door closes the inner door, and opening the inner door closes the outer door? In this way, you have an airlock system in which you can't get through without having at least one barrier between the city and the wilderness?

Shinrar

Reaction score
I like the airlock idea best so far, but is by far the most red stone intensive if you have it on timers - and if not, I can see a number of creepers still following you in... Bad thing >.<

Or people being crushed by the inner door when you activate the outer door, closing the inner prior to opening the outer (for a set delay).

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I like the airlock idea best so far, but is by far the most red stone intensive if you have it on timers - and if not, I can see a number of creepers still following you in... Bad thing >.<

Or people being crushed by the inner door when you activate the outer door, closing the inner prior to opening the outer (for a set delay).

I can't imagine that taking more than 2 stacks of redstone and redstone is cheap. I built a minecart boosting station that sends you into a 3x3 powered track booster ring, starts a clock and when clock runs down, it releases you out of the booster ring. It only took 3 stacks of redstone, including manufacturing all of the repeaters.

EDIT:

2011-12-01_00.58.00.png

2011-12-01_00.58.50.png

The first image shows the booster ring, the second one shows most of the wiring. The boosting takes some 17 seconds or so and most of the delay is achieved by two clocks that overlap. A 6-clock and a 7-clock. They're started at the same time, but only when they sync up do they send a signal through the and gate to release the cart from the boosting ring. The momentum the cart gathers is enough to travel quite a distance and quite a long way up. If more momentum is needed, only one or two extra repeaters are needed.

Last edited:

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
Since the server is down, I'm currently experimenting with single player. Mostly checking out all the new mods that I missed in my absence from Minecraft. And this one is absolutely awesome:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/694829-100-weeping-angels-v152-17-dec-xmas-special/

It'll add Weeping Angels from Dr. Who and it really scares the hell out of me. What an incredible mod :lol:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTWaa2FCq-M"]Minecraft Weeping Angels - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
Since the server is down, I'm currently experimenting with single player. Mostly checking out all the new mods that I missed in my absence from Minecraft. And this one is absolutely awesome:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/694829-100-weeping-angels-v152-17-dec-xmas-special/

It'll add Weeping Angels from Dr. Who and it really scares the hell out of me. What an incredible mod :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AabW5P8ft2

We need that mod on the server :) It will make the wall all the more important.

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
Would be fun but from what I understand, Hielor pretty much wants the server to be mod-less, at least in a way that players are not required to install any mods.

Also I don't see how a wall would help when they spawn inside ;)

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'm totally open to cool server-side mods, it's just that I think requiring player-side mods would be a little hard to coordinate with how many people we have on the server...

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
I'm totally open to cool server-side mods, it's just that I think requiring player-side mods would be a little hard to coordinate with how many people we have on the server...

I have to agree with you, I just think that would be a cool mod to have, if it was a server side mod, but as it is not... its still cool though. :)

usmc3891

OFSS III Pilot
Reaction score
Im just getting into Minecraft :) I thought there was something wrong until I read the last page of the thread lol. I was wondering why i couldnt connect. My sn will be usmc3891 :)

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Im just getting into Minecraft :) I thought there was something wrong until I read the last page of the thread lol. I was wondering why i couldnt connect. My sn will be usmc3891 :)
Thanks for reminding me, I've updated the first post with the downtime notice.

I'll add you when I get the server back up. Sorry again, folks...things had been running swimmingly for weeks before I left, wasn't expecting it to go down in two days :(

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
Sorry again, folks...things had been running swimmingly for weeks before I left, wasn't expecting it to go down in two days :(

No worries there, Hielor!

Now for something completely different:

I've taken advantage of the server downtime to design the capitol/council building/large-building that will be going in that field I leveled a couple of days ago. It is quite a large structure, so I have built it in a creative world of mine in order to identify any problems NOW, while they can easily be fixed. This is what is currently (and will, once rebuilt in the server) look like. This prototype is not yet completed, as you will see from the still open ceilings.

KF8xth.jpg

Again from behind, a view of the inside.

JyM57h.jpg

The central segement will be open air, unlike the segments to the sides that have glass in between the pillars. I think I'm going to throw a dome in here somewhere, not sure about that yet. Again, it is a work in progress, so I am open to critiques and criticisms that I may or may not listen to :lol:

Chub777

Reaction score
I've taken advantage of the server downtime to design the capitol/council building/large-building that will be going in that field I leveled a couple of days ago.

3 government themed buildings already? Are you going to put houses/chambers for the government (like this) and make offices for the ministers of parks, etc? Or are you just going to make a big building with no actual purpose? :lol:

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
3 government themed buildings already? Are you going to put houses/chambers for the government (like this) and make offices for the ministers of parks, etc? Or are you just going to make a big building with no actual purpose? :lol:

It could be a post office. Nexus of the Pig Express and future home of Rocket Mail!:lol:

Seriously. As somebody that doesn't play on the server(or that much of Minecraft either) I check into this thread mostly to see what neat stuff you guys are doing. And I do like the neat stuff, even if all it is is a nice building.

So if anybody cares to bother about it, more screenshots of neat stuff.:cheers:

Pablo49

Reaction score
More like 2, if you count his planned building. Last I checked yours was marked for demolition, since it's an eyesore.

Chub777

Reaction score
More like 2, if you count his planned building. Last I checked yours was marked for demolition, since it's an eyesore.

Then again, it uses brick instead of stone brick (besides the "smokestacks" :lol:). By the way have you received my chest of logs?

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
Whilst the server has been down I have been messing around with creative to plan and test my next project, a Bio-Dome with integrated defense and farms.

picture.php

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You must be reading my frakkin' mind, Onyx (or I'm reading yours). I JUST thought about doing something like this last night while trying to go to sleep.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Good luck getting all the iron for that, Onyx. Smoothstone might be a better alternative?