HyperDart - A new spaceplane

vonneuman

Orbinaut
Reaction score
I seems that it is the addon developers with their own websites are the ones that get all the attention. Danstep and the guys behind the XRs have their own sites and everyone thinks of their stuff. But if someone puts something on orbithanger people don't know it exists.

Ark

Reaction score
Whatever happened to that lander from way back in the thread?

Also, the OP really needs to be updated with all the links, so you don't have to go digging through 17 pages of thread for the download and two patches.

CigDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Whatever happened to that lander from way back in the thread?

Also, the OP really needs to be updated with all the links, so you don't have to go digging through 17 pages of thread for the download and two patches.

The lander is actually still in there, but I haven't been doing anything with it lately. As the HyperDart got more realistic the complete lack of any realism to the lander bugged me. I also couldn't get it fly for #@$%^!, so I pretty much just left it alone.

Good idea about this OP. I'll update that with the next release I do. I'll also do a full package so there isn't patches to find and so on.

Tommy

Reaction score
I found the patched Hyperdart fairly easy to re-enter, at least compared to the original. It's not much harder than a DGIV or XR, and I hope you don't change it

vonneuman

Orbinaut
Reaction score

Ark

Reaction score
The lander is actually still in there, but I haven't been doing anything with it lately. As the HyperDart got more realistic the complete lack of any realism to the lander bugged me. I also couldn't get it fly for #@$%^!, so I pretty much just left it alone.

Good idea about this OP. I'll update that with the next release I do. I'll also do a full package so there isn't patches to find and so on.

I kind of liked the idea of a tiny, miniature escape pod thing. Like a minimalistic escape option for a space station. Realistic or not, it would be neat to see it released, even on it's own.

CigDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Ok, latest version:
http://www.animatedexistence.com/orbiter/HyperDart/HyperDart_PB4.zip

Give it a try, you need UMMU, UCGO, and Universal RMS.

Mission 4 - ISS Intercept has a load of 4 oxygen cargos. The other scenarios do not have UCGO in them yet, but you can add them in the .scn file. Currently you can not add them while the dart is on the ground attached to the XL-70. I'll have to see if there is a way around that.

I did take her up to the ISS and dropped off the cargo, sadly I botched the reentry and passed KSC at about 90Km and M20, lol. Trying to get her down in time I burned up and died :( The heating is much more forgiving than it used to be though, I rarely got into the top 2/3rds of the heat scale on that reentry.

I also bumped up the ISP in preperation for the higher orbits for the inflatable station will need. You can pretty easily get into a circular orbit around 300Km on main engines alone now. That gives you lots of OMS fuel for plane changes or higher orbits.

Enjoy!

Ark

Reaction score
Ok, latest version:
http://www.animatedexistence.com/orbiter/HyperDart/HyperDart_PB4.zip

Give it a try, you need UMMU, UCGO, and Universal RMS.

Mission 4 - ISS Intercept has a load of 4 oxygen cargos. The other scenarios do not have UCGO in them yet, but you can add them in the .scn file. Currently you can not add them while the dart is on the ground attached to the XL-70. I'll have to see if there is a way around that.

I did take her up to the ISS and dropped off the cargo, sadly I botched the reentry and passed KSC at about 90Km and M20, lol. Trying to get her down in time I burned up and died :( The heating is much more forgiving than it used to be though, I rarely got into the top 2/3rds of the heat scale on that reentry.

I also bumped up the ISP in preperation for the higher orbits for the inflatable station will need. You can pretty easily get into a circular orbit around 300Km on main engines alone now. That gives you lots of OMS fuel for plane changes or higher orbits.

Enjoy!

Good deal! Glad to see a little bit more ISP, in addition to the UCGO compatibility. You've really grown this thing into a world-class addon.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Beautiful vessel! I just have one big problem: In the HyperDart VC my framerate drops to 6 FPS, making it impossible to do anything. In the XL-70 I get a nice framerate of 60 FPS. I tried it with a clean Orbiter installation, still the same. Here are my PC specs:

Acer Aspire E380; Win 7 Professional (64 Bit); AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+; 2048MB RAM; ATI Radeon X1650 Series

CigDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Your computer seems up to spec, it must be something in my design. The main difference between the two VCs is the UMMU/UCGO panel. I bet that is causing the problem. I'll look into it, perhaps my code is causing the problem (first time I put text on a bitmap, maybe I'm not releasing something that is causing problems) or maybe the texture is just too big. I can try making it half as big and see if that helps, but I will not be able to get to it until the weekend at the earliest.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
CigDriver: Did you make the texture dynamic? We have such problems on SSU in a regular interval, if you don't make the texture dynamic, Orbiter needs to decompress and recompress the texture for each painting action you do.

CigDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I have the "D" flag on the texture...at least I did, I'll have to double check. Is that what you are referring to?

edit - yes, the "D" flag is on both dynamic textures.

Last edited:

Bergotronic

Reaction score
WOW! I have never seemed to notice this addon before. I will be trying this out ASAP!!

halcyon

Reaction score
The airbrake on the HD doesn't seem to work anymore after the latest patch.
Just me?

CigDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The airbrake on the HD doesn't seem to work anymore after the latest patch.
Just me?

Yes, I forgot, I changed the keys from "B" and "V" to "F" and "V". I ran into some conflict with the "B" key(I think it was a UCGO key that I didn't want to change since I figured many would cut and paste Dan's code like I was). Of course after I changed it I realized that "F" does the info display in the orbiter core...I'll change it back to "B"

I checked the framerate on my system and it does drop from 130 to 30 between the XL VC and Dart VC. So, there is definitely an issue there. I'll try to rework my code to be more efficient and resize the bitmaps used.

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
This looks to be a great project so far, unfortunately i have the same problem as astrosammy :(
I drop down to 6fps in VC and 60-80 outside, i have similar setup with the same CPU

CigDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Another snow day and I had some time to mess with this FPS issue. I changed the bitmap used by the UMMU/UCGO display to half its original size and rewrote all the code for the display. I used to have a function for each line, but I did some research and figured out how to do the same thing in one function using a for loop (this learning stuff is both fun and frustrating!). The functionality is exactly the same, but I saw a 50% increase in FPS in the HyperDart's VC! The tests I ran were using the "Mission 4 -ISS Intercept" scenario. I loaded it up and checked the FPS in the XL VC and then switched to the HyperDart VC. With the old code I saw 86 and 30 FPS, after the new code I'm seeing 87 and 45.

Hopefully the gains will be similar or better for the people having issues. That 50% might not be enough to help the 6FPS folks though :( I'll have to look through the other VC code and see if i can clean it up any. if not, I might have to rebuild the HyperDart's VC to use less textures. From what Dan has posted all my textures are real killer for FPS...learning...grrrr!

get the new beta at:
http://www.animatedexistence.com/orbiter/HyperDart/HyperDart_PB5.zip

Let me know what (if any) improvements you are seeing.

CigDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Great news! I'll look and see what else I can streamline this weekend, maybe we can get a few more FPS out of my disastrous code yet!:p