Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
2000+ pounds?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

You can get a RC version with all those features and probably cheaper!

It seems to be a RC version, and you won't get it much cheaper, looking at the features and recommended propulsion (20 lbf turbine). Such kits cost money.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Flying that near buildings would get the Air Guard scrambled.

CigDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I'll stick to my parkflyer foamies and helicopters for now...that is a fantastic bird though!

CigDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I dug this one out over the weekend to drop UMMU 2.0 into it (which I did), then I decided to add UCGO to it :). I'm still having a bit of an issue with that one, I must have messed up a line of code in there somewhere. I also noticed, as I went through the code, that I have bunch of comments from last time I was in there, where I was tweaking the flight model. I really do not remember what all I did, but looking at the comments it looks like I increased the drag of the airframe vs AoA, and lowered the roll resistance in all axis.

I'm going to try my hand at build a new display in the VC that will control UMMU and UCGO function. Worst case they will be controllable via the keyboard.

Last edited:

clickypens

Orbinauta
Reaction score
Awesome! I love seeing progress on this. How big is the payload bay anyway (as in, how many cargos will fit in it)?

halcyon

Reaction score
This is one of my top 10 fav mods, but unfortunately I can't land the darn thing because I always burn on reentry.
Would you consider adding a setting in a config file letting the user change the strength of the heat shield?

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
i would imagine that a ship like this would be really hard to reenter without burning. will there be random system failures? not sure if it has already been mentioned here but it would be great if systems could fail at an extremely low rate. it adds more challenge. imagine having to compensate because some of your control surfaces failed during a reentry.

CigDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
It looks like I can get 6 containers in the bay. I have to see how tight they look, I just dropped them in quick in 3D to get the locations.

There are system failures already. If the dynamic pressure get too high you can break the control surfaces, wings and fuselage. I'll have to look at the pressure levels since I added the heating code, it might not be possible to get high DynP before you start having problems with heat, at least on reentry.

@halcyon - I'll look into it, it shouldn't be too difficult to add a config setting, but if memory serves me right I did bump the heat levels a bit in a previous unreleased build.

One thing for sure, I need to not leave this thing alone for months at a time, it is hard to remember what i was doing last time!

CigDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
A nice snow day and I had quite a bit of time to work on the HyperDart :)
I've completed the UMMU and UCGO integration. I added a panel on the left side of the VC, next to the throttles, that has all the needed functions. No more key commands :) The dart has room for six standard UCGO containers.

UMMUnUCGOpanel.jpg

There are buttons to choose a UMMU slot, EVA that slot, and add new crew. The UCGO side of the panel allows you to select the different cargo slots, release and grapple to the selected slot, browse the cargo available in the scene editor, and add that cargo. The white line connects the available cargo readout and the selected cargo slot. When the slot is empty (ie cargo can be added) the line is white, if there is cargo in the slot then the line turns red. (slot 0 is actually released when these shots were done, you just can tell in the outside shot)

I need to play with the max cargo weight a bit, and check out my aero changes, but after that I'll have a new beta out.

Dambuster

Reaction score
A nice snow day and I had quite a bit of time to work on the HyperDart :)
I've completed the UMMU and UCGO integration. I added a panel on the left side of the VC, next to the throttles, that has all the needed functions. No more key commands :) The dart has room for six standard UCGO containers.

UMMUnUCGOpanel.jpg

There are buttons to choose a UMMU slot, EVA that slot, and add new crew. The UCGO side of the panel allows you to select the different cargo slots, release and grapple to the selected slot, browse the cargo available in the scene editor, and add that cargo. The white line connects the available cargo readout and the selected cargo slot. When the slot is empty (ie cargo can be added) the line is white, if there is cargo in the slot then the line turns red. (slot 0 is actually released when these shots were done, you just can tell in the outside shot)

I need to play with the max cargo weight a bit, and check out my aero changes, but after that I'll have a new beta out.

That's so cool! I can't wait till you release this! :thumbup:

clickypens

Orbinauta
Reaction score
The Dart was always pretty tight on fuel and need a feathered reentry. How's performance fully loaded?

CigDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The Dart was always pretty tight on fuel and need a feathered reentry. How's performance fully loaded?

I just tried launching with 6 "space fuel" cargos loaded...It wasn't pretty. Of course I was lazy and flew the XL in a strait line off the RNWY15 at KSC. So that put me in an almost polar orbit... well technically it was sub orbital :( I'll play with the ISP a bit to make her a bit more capable.

Since the HyperDart is supposed to be a CIA/NSA spaceplane I'm going to build some custom cargo for her. I'm thinking a small inflatable spacestation. I want to have a few options for layouts so here is what I'm thinking:

1. Inflatable hab module
  2. Command module with 4 docking ports, a VC, and an airlock
  3. Solar array
  4. Large dish antenna (to listen to the bad guys)
  5. Synthetic-aperture radar system (to see what they are up too)
  6. Imagery system
  7. Docking adapter
The command module will have a VC (as stated), be UMMU compatible, and will consume fuel and air from UCGO cargo. That should give quite a few options, and a reason to go back once it is built.

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
Is it just me or I get the impression that CigDriver, if let loose on some island with only food and Orbiter SDK, can become the next dansteph!

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
Wow. I can't wait to see the Hyper Dart with UCGO.:thumbup:

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
Now im a sad bunny. it looks like ill be moving to oregon and computerless before the full version is complete. hopefully i can get a capable laptop before too long. i can already tell that orbiter will be one of the few things that i will miss.

clickypens

Orbinauta
Reaction score
Wow! That space station you're thinking up is awesome! You could launch the Dart, set up shop, spy for a few days, pack everything back up, and land without a trace! Can't wait to see it all done.

Shadow Addict

Reaction score
I'm surprised this addon doesn't get more attention. I'm ashamed to say I haven't downloaded it yet, but you're one of the very few addon developers that puts in things like a VC, UMMU, and now UCGO. I'm gonna go download it right now.