I just discovered Microsoft Space Simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny

Reaction score
Hi all, I just found a new space simulator called Microsoft Space Simulator that runs under DOS. It's quite nice, although not the same as Orbiter. I downloaded it from a DOS site, but the site that seems to have had the manual is down. I want a PDF of the manual, if anyone has it can you tell me how to get it please.

PS: If you have downloaded it before the server went down, I would be grateful if you would put it in as an attachment so I can download it!

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Space Sim is still copyrighted by Microsoft. If it's uploaded anywhere except on MS sites then it's piracy.

JamesG

Orbinaut
Reaction score
Space Sim is still copyrighted by Microsoft. If it's uploaded anywhere except on MS sites then it's piracy.

So would that make him a...

wait for it...

SPACE PIRATE!!!!!
girl.jpg

Arrrrrrr!!!!!!

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I have Space Simulator, and a PDF of the manual. Unfortunately it's not on the computer I'm writing this from, so you'll have to wait.

I discovered Orbiter when I was searching for Space Simulator. After evaluating Space simulator, I now think Orbiter is better. of course it has better graphics, but its MFDs are a lot better than anything you'll find in Space Simulator.

The only thing present in SS, and still missing in Orbiter, is interstellar travel.

johnny

Reaction score
The only thing present in SS, and still missing in Orbiter, is interstellar travel...
I can add to THAT list!!!

- Interstellar travel
- The landing craft (you press Shift+D to deploy a small lander)
- Spacecraft type switching (you choose Flight->Spacecraft and choose one)

And here are some things that SS doesn't have:

- Add-ons
- Spacecraft switching without docking
- MFDs
- Orbital data display

If they were both open source, we could put 'em together into one.

Why not start a Open Source space simulator project???

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
- The landing craft (you press Shift+D to deploy a small lander)
- Spacecraft type switching (you choose Flight->Spacecraft and choose one)

Could you explain in what way orbiter does not have this?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Could you explain in what way orbiter does not have this?

Well, we could use a spacecraft wharf, where you switch focus to and order your new spacecraft... scenario editor is so unleet.

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
If they were both open source, we could put 'em together into one.
No, that would probably take more time than expanding one of them to contain the functionality of the other. Only in some cases it may be useful to have the source of the other application as a 'reference'.

Why not start a Open Source space simulator project???
Sounds nice. I think there already has been a project for an Open Source remake of Orbiter; I think that project is now inactive.

Some things that could be really essential to such a project:
  • Maintain compatibility with Orbiter add-ons. Most of the value of Orbiter is already in freely available add-ons, many of them even open source. A spacesim without these add-ons is like an operating system without applications.
  • Wait until the new Orbiter version comes out with the OVP system. Cloning the new version probably means you'll have to worry less about the graphics subsystem, because you can re-use existing visualization plugins.
  • Use existing open source code to help you. Future versions of my KOST system (see elsewhere on the forum) may become useful for instance.
  • Find some new functionality you want, and that really needs to be in the core. For instance, running the thing natively in Linux, or interstellar travel.
  • Find people who are really passionate about the project and like to spend lots of time on it. In many projects of this type, there often is one very active person, and some small donations by other people.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Open source would be cool, but I would only be interested if it was compatible with the existing Orbiter.

Firefly

Reaction score
Space Sim & Orbiter

I had MS Space Sim a few years back and it doesn't come anyway near Orbiter. The graphics alone are A1..!

Kurt M. Weber

Reaction score
however microsoft doesnt sell it anymore so it becomes junk to them

Doesn't matter.

It's theirs to do as they like with--including not distributing it at all.

If that's the decision they make, you're obligated to respect it since it's theirs.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Doesn't matter.

It's theirs to do as they like with--including not distributing it at all.

If that's the decision they make, you're obligated to respect it since it's theirs.

Exactly. The copyright will run out eventualy and then you are free to distribute it as you like.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Exactly. The copyright will run out eventualy and then you are free to distribute it as you like.
Excellent! The copyright will run out in Australia in 2064, a full 25 years ahead of in the US! Can't wait to get my hands on it...

-----Post Added-----

Isn't it still 100 years for software IP or has those laws been changed?
95 years in the US, as far as I can tell:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Bono_Copyright_Term_Extension_Act

Kurt M. Weber

Reaction score

Copyright is not merely a legal construct but an objective moral principle, and in this sense (which is the only proper sense) it is indefinite.

So even after the legal copyright expires, you are still under an absolute and objective and universal moral obligation to refrain from redistributing it without the permission of the owner.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
You are right Kurt. But I can not assume orbiteers are moral people. Hey, most of us kill UMMU like there is no tomorrow :p

The optimum case for abandonware like this is if the copyright holder is contacted and then releases the abandonware under a license that ensures free distribution. Or at least give permission to a handfull of sites to do so.

The only problem is that especialy games usaly have multiple copyrighted elements which are not all held by the same institution. They are spread out between developer and publisher and any number of other parties. I believe this to be the main reason for old games not to be released freely distributable. Besides a massive show of cock of course.

Kveldulf

Reaction score
Copyright is not merely a legal construct but an objective moral principle, and in this sense (which is the only proper sense) it is indefinite.

So even after the legal copyright expires, you are still under an absolute and objective and universal moral obligation to refrain from redistributing it without the permission of the owner.
Umm... what? What gives you the right to say that a copyright is an objective moral? Can you prove any of your above claims of this?

My moral code says that if Microsoft ceased all distribution and manufacture of Space Simulator, downloading it from an abandonware site is no different from buying it off e-bay. You'd be hard pressed to prove me otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.