IPad, what do you think?

Jarvitä

Reaction score
(god forbid you actually have to pay for software! how terrible!)

Excuse me if I'm not comfortable with paying for a product I don't want, need, or intend to ever use. The problem isn't the lack of alternatives. The problem is the fact itself that the so-called "hardware companies" insist on selling software along with it. The castrated GNU/Linux distributions they ship still come with a bunch of corporate crapware just like MS (my local LUG ran an awareness campaign that confirmed that in 2008), and submitting to that is hardly any better than submitting to the MS tax.

Why pay for something you're going to delete the first time you boot the box? I don't have anything against the notion of paying for software itself. I've paid for Free (as in speech) software myself, and the "standard" Free software licence, the GPL, allows for commercial redistribution. What I oppose is charging people money for software that has to be wiped before the hardware can be used properly.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That's not "advantageous,"

Perhaps not to the manufacturer, but certainly to the user...

that's a "bad business decision."

Well, I doubt including support for Linux would cost the entire project...

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Excuse me if I'm not comfortable with paying for a product I don't want, need, or intend to ever use. The problem isn't the lack of alternatives. The problem is the fact itself that the so-called "hardware companies" insist on selling software along with it. The castrated GNU/Linux distributions they ship still come with a bunch of corporate crapware just like MS (my local LUG ran an awareness campaign that confirmed that in 2008), and submitting to that is hardly any better than submitting to the MS tax.

Why pay for something you're going to delete the first time you boot the box? I don't have anything against the notion of paying for software itself. I've paid for Free (as in speech) software myself, and the "standard" Free software licence, the GPL, allows for commercial redistribution. What I oppose is charging people money for software that has to be wiped before the hardware can be used properly.
Then don't pay for it?

In case you missed what I said: Most hardware manufacturers allow you to NOT PAY in order to have a version of Linux on it. You're going to want to wipe it anyway, this way you just don't have to pay for it.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
yet another expensive toy from apple.

I don't know why people even buy those things. For me only good think that apple made was mac but strictly to DTP and graphic design (no color calibrations at all).

For example:
iPod - it's just a mp3/mp4 player with lot of limitations and quite xpensive compared to ordinary mp3/mp4 player
iPhone - terrible as a phone, as a camera and as a mp3

Maybe there is something wrong with me but I like well designed devices which can do their primary functions good. For example if I have to take a picture I take camera and don't yell about poor quality (because it was taken by cellphone), if I need portable computer I take a netbook and if I want to work I take desktop computer.

And now for iPad - it's a toy that will earn a lot of money for apple - as usual.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Apple seems to have gotten things backwards. You release the bulky awkward innovation FIRST, and THEN the small version for people to get excited about. :p

SpaceNut

Reaction score
-Locked down
-DRM laden
-Windows/Mac support only, Mac only if you want any real work done on it
-No flash/interpreted browser code other than what Apple wants you to have
-You can only install software Apple lets you
-And they can even disable that whenever they feel like it
-No multitasking for appstore applications
-DRM eBook format (seriously, what's wrong with PDF or plaintext?)
-Integrated battery
-Too big! What's with the gigantic unused edges?
-Where am I supposed to put this thing when I'm moving around, assuming I don't carry a purse?!
-More expensive than netbooks, weaker hardware than netbooks, less convenient to work on than netbooks
-Do they really expect people to type anything longer than an incomprehensible tweet on that onscreen keyboard?

Of course, they'll still sell truckloads of them to Apple fanboys who couldn't care any less about signing their privacy and Software Freedoms away for the latest fashion accessory.

By locked down, if you mean the OS, yes, but 3G, no, it's not going to be locked (big surprise there).

No flash, yeah... wish it did, but I think they want you to buy software from the app store rather than use flash content.

No multitasking, true, but it has the same features recently added to the iPhone that make up for that.

Battery... agreed... but most certainly home do-it yourself kits will emerge like they have for the iPhone/iPod touch.

The gigantic unused edges have a use. It's for holding the unit without triggering the touch screen interface. Think about it, where will your thumbs be when you just holding the unit.

There's a case available for it that doubles as a prop when placed on a table while you're working on it, and triples as a stand for viewing movies or image slide shows.

The price is competitive with a netbook of equal computing capacity. The power of the hardware remains to be seen. It's more powerful than an iPhone, so, as many people seem to think, it's not 'just a big iPhone/iPod Touch'.

It's WAY more convenient than working on a netbook. Most netbooks are underpowered midget laptops running an outdated OS. There's nothing really revolutionary about a netbook, it's just a small laptop. Also, a hardware keyboard add on is also available, so when doing alot of typing, the physical keyboard with tactile feedback is there, and available.

As far as the keyboard is concerned, I can fly on my iPhone, so I would do just as well if not better on the same keyboard on a 10 inch screen. Ark and a few others keep saying its flashy and gimmicky, Apparently they've never worked on an iPhone/iPod touch. It's hardly flash and gimmicks. It's a new interface, a new way of interacting with a computing device, and I'm glad to see that it's moving from hand held devices to tablets, and next, laptops and desktops. I think if Apple's smart, they'll make an iMac Laptop, with the power, connectivity, and such with the iPhone-like interface. You might think I'm nuts, but in less than 10 years, all computers will work this way. It's the next step in computer input that will retire the mouse and even to a degree, keyboard.

I think the naysayers are missing the point. The iPad is aimed at the casual computer user. Not the power user. It's for mom to use in the kitchen to read a recipe online, or for anyone in the house to check email, or twitter or facebook, or as a gaming device for jr on that long road trip, or for the professional who needs to create a presentation while on the go, or for the grandma who's never been into computers before. If you're a power user, this isn't going to replace your desktop, or even your high powered laptop, but it gives you a bit more portability than a high end laptop. The idea here is that this is a new class of mobile computing device for lighter computing and typical web and email needs. It's not intended to replace a laptop or a desktop, and I think that's why most of the naysayers here don't get it.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There was a story on public radio this afternoon about the iPad. The commentator was explaining how back in the 80s the Apple II computer was a runaway hit because some third party developer invented the first spreadsheet to run on it and it was flying off the shelves. He contrasted that with the way Apple does things today, where you can only run proprietary software on the iPhone and now the iPad, completely missing the strengths of a programmable digital computer.

All this DRM crap, authorized "apps", etc. Add to that the fact that this thing has no keyboard or USB ports and an integrated, sure-to-die-soon battery, and what's the point?

It's for these reasons that I have never bought an Apple product, despite my respect for their quality and innovative ideas. iPod? I'll just wait for a competitor to make a better, cheaper, more compatible music player, and one which isn't made out of ugly white plastic.

iPad? No way this will replace my Hewlett Packard laptop. iPhone? No thanks, lots of other smart phones to pick from, without Apple strings attached, such as my Samsung.

I wish Apple the best of luck, despite my criticism they do play an important role in the tech industry, but they won't be getting my money with this new product, either.

ThatGuy

Reaction score
Ark and a few others keep saying its flashy and gimmicky, Apparently they've never worked on an iPhone/iPod touch. It's hardly flash and gimmicks.

Yes it is flashy and gimmicky, just like the iPhone/iTouch before it.

It's a new interface, a new way of interacting with a computing device, and I'm glad to see that it's moving from hand held devices to tablets, and next, laptops and desktops.

It isn't new. It is a improved and enlarged iTouch.

Honestly, I like the idea of the iPad, but the execution of the idea is another story.

Scrooge McDuck

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbitermap.no-ip.org
Well, let's take some time to write down my opinion about the iPad... :)

In contrast to (most of) the other opinions in this thread, I think it'll be a nice device, and will most likely buy one.
And no, i'm not an apple fanboy hailing all apple products.....

• Most of the people compare it to netbooks/laptops and, as such, complain about limited functionality and higher price.
    I think you shouldn't compare this device to a netbook at all! It's a completely different kind of device. IMO you don't do programming, editing, photoshop, etc. on a device like this. You should compare it to e-readers. You could say tablet PC's too, but I think that's different too. The current Tablet PC's are leaning much more towards laptops (eg, thicker, physical keyboard, more limited battery duration, Desktop OS not designed for touch, etc), but with an added touch screen.
    For an e-reader the iPad has more to offer compared to others in the market.

• iPhone OS is really great (despite the AppStore validations, and limited multitasking and flash possibilities).
    Now, with a bigger screen, it's even better for reading. Sitting on the sofa reading from a netbook is IMO not really comparible with a tablet/reading device.
    I think it's a good choise to expand iPhone OS for use on other mobile devices, instead of using a desktop OS.

• So that's one thing; good reading and a great browsing interface.

• Next the price;
    We're planning to stop our 6-day newspaper subscrition, and get a Saturday+Digital subscription. This will save €185 a year. So in 2 years, we'll have an iPad (€359) earned back, just by using it for the newspaper. So I don't think the price is too high, considering what it offers compared to other e-readers.
    Also the price will probably drop after a while. An iPod Touch is now at €149, which is not too much for a great PDA.

• Wider use;
    From a developer point of view: I know the App store validation process can be a pain. Still, I think the iPad will give good possibilities. I am already going to target iPad for 2 app projects, for which this device is great (better than iPhone/pod touch sized screens).
    I think also a lot of other people were waiting for an iPhone OS device with a bigger screen.

Downsides;

• The lack of Flash in the first release of iPhone OS 3.2 is for me probably the biggest disadvantage. I haven't really missed it so far on iPhone OS, but assuming using the iPad for more extensive browsing, it'll be a miss.
  • The larger than expected 'bezel' was the thing I noticed first too. But now I understand it;
    The iPhone you grip, the iPad you hold. So you probably need more space to comfortably hold it.
  • Connectivity; although there are tons of File manager/transfer apps in the appstore, I think just a simple SD card reader + app would have been handy (supporting the usual document file types).

Other aspects; I really don't need a camera on an e-reader. Also, haven't yet had the need for real multitasking on it. Removable battery; yes would have been better, but Apple will probably offer battery replacement just like they do on the iPhone/iPod Touch.

regards,
mcduck

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It cannot multi-task? Why the hell would they release that useless box o_O

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Well, let's take some time to write down my opinion about the iPad... :)

In contrast to (most of) the other opinions in this thread, I think it'll be a nice device, and will most likely buy one.
And no, i'm not an apple fanboy hailing all apple products.....

• Most of the people compare it to netbooks/laptops and, as such, complain about limited functionality and higher price.
    I think you shouldn't compare this device to a netbook at all! It's a completely different kind of device. IMO you don't do programming, editing, photoshop, etc. on a device like this. You should compare it to e-readers. You could say tablet PC's too, but I think that's different too. The current Tablet PC's are leaning much more towards laptops (eg, thicker, physical keyboard, more limited battery duration, Desktop OS not designed for touch, etc), but with an added touch screen.
    For an e-reader the iPad has more to offer compared to others in the market.
  • iPhone OS is really great (despite the AppStore validations, and limited multitasking and flash possibilities).
    Now, with a bigger screen, it's even better for reading. Sitting on the sofa reading from a netbook is IMO not really comparible with a tablet/reading device.
    I think it's a good choise to expand iPhone OS for use on other mobile devices, instead of using a desktop OS.
  • So that's one thing; good reading and a great browsing interface.
Well, except that the iPad has a backlit screen, so reading it for extended periods will be like staring at a light bulb. The e-book collection for it will also be limited compared to other existing readers, at least at first.
  • Next the price;
Except that it's twice as expensive as other e-readers, and for that you get a worse screen and color. How many books do you read that have color?

Scrooge McDuck

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbitermap.no-ip.org
It cannot multi-task? Why the hell would they release that useless box o_O
Although you're right that multitasking is useful, I think it has more value in desktop OS's (e.g. in a more productive environment). Also it's a way to reduce CPU load so increase battery duration.

The current guideline for iPhone OS app developers is to save the current state of the app data on leaving, and reloading when the app did load. This means fast task-switching is already quite possible (if the apps are well designed).

An example of multitasking-gone-wrong is Windows Mobile. On WiMo, most applications have no real close button, but have the "smart minimize" button.
Microsoft's reason to do this, was that the apps load quicker if they're still running..
Well it allmost always ends up that the whole PDA gets out of memory, and you always have to kill the processes using the task manager in Windows Mobile.

The current push-notifications already form a good solution for the time being.
However, there are speculations from Apple itself that iPhone OS 4 (iPad releases with 3.2) will support full multitasking. In that case I hope the memory management will be better than on WiMo.

Well, except that the iPad has a backlit screen, so reading it for extended periods will be like staring at a light bulb.
[...]
Except that it's twice as expensive as other e-readers, and for that you get a worse screen and color. How many books do you read that have color?

Regarding the backlit screen; I agree, in the end, e-ink screens are better for reading. But look at the current state of e-ink screens, they are extremely (!) slow which means almost unusable for anything else.
The compromis of a backlit screen while still having a lot of other possibilities (video, www browsing, other apps, etc) is enough for me (for now), and is easily worth the price. Besides, I'd rather see photographs in the digital newspaper in color as well as PDF datasheets, etc.

The e-book collection for it will also be limited compared to other existing readers, at least at first.
I (will) mainly use it a lot for other formats too (PDF, doc, txt, etc. etc.).
So I would be able to copy my entire book collection to this device, and add lot's of other books. Actually, not planning to use the iBooks store directly at all. 3rd party applications for this purpose are already available for iPhone OS.

Last edited: