Iron Hill Project Thread

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Maybe its just not a high performance laptop? :shrug:

I mean, the whole point of a laptop is to be portable, not a fast gaming machine...

I really like the terrain you did, but I dont think we will be using it unfortunately. The new terrain puts the Iron hill & Scopas at the bottom of craters about 5km deep. We were planning on having a bit of an easier exit than that :lol:

Don't want to derail the thread, so straight to the point:

- laptop : I got better performance out of a 8 year old laptop... Is that the case?

- terrain: unless I made some mistake ;-) that's really what the terrain is like!
But if I were in your position I wouldn't use it right now.
Perhaps for a future mission, where you need to survey the terrain first! That actually sound like fun....

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
I've created the split files and posted them in Dropbox.
Everyone please make sure you have the IronHill module installed and enabled;)

Last edited:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've created the split files and posted them in Dropbox.
Every please make sure you have the IronHill module installed and enabled;)

Actually, we can just work from the last state I posted with the EVA playback right? I tidied it up all nicely, although I hated it when I finally cut the A-crew out of the scenario. Thus ends the first journey of the Odyssey I guess :lol:

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Yeah, but you need to remember to update the file in DropBox as well, so the rest of the team can access it, and so that it stays in one place;)

For you to be able to do that, I need an email address from you, so I can invite you into the folder.

Nice job on the Mercury base:) For some reason, Orulex has turned the Grunwald area into a crater:( When I was there, it was just a narrow valley between two big crater walls--hence the name Grunwald Pass. What say you about scheduling an EVA to relocate the site?

Lydia

Cynder Fan
Reaction score
I've been watching your progress closely gentlemen, and I must say, congratulations on your achievement (check the time this thread was started to understand my sentiment there,) and Congrats on getting B-Team to the Iron Planet, and doing a Round Trip with the A-Team, good job guys!

If you don't know (you should know really lol,) I was part of A-Team, till I vanished from O-F altogether, I have a good reason for doing that, and here it is;

For one, my computer popped its cogs, its a 6 Year old XP Machine, and it pretty much exploded, I had to get a new one, when I got back into spaceflight, it started with STO (Star Trek Online,) A Star Trek based MMO, pretty good actually, but I had it finished by September (I started it in August,) and this led to my next game I could NOT stop playing, KSP (I know, prioritizing KSP over Orbiter, so sorry :probe:) I played KSP till a few months ago, where that too, started causing machine problems, at which point, I bounced back to STO, and I met new friends, (perverts included, sadly) but I decided I was playing too much STO, this was on Thursday, I strived to find a good game to play, and thats when I :facepalm:ed, I'd neglected Orbiter! on Friday, I redownloaded Orbiter, and surprising enough, gained ALOT from KSP, my orbital skills had increased drastically, and I was capable of alot more orbital operations, including planetary transfers, using the hohmann transfer of course, the first few mods I downloaded was UCGO, the DGIV2, Orbiter sound, the XR-1, XR-2, XR-5 and IMS (UMMU was included with the DGIV two :p.) One thing I got the grip of quickly was piloting the XR class of vessels, I really enjoyed them, and I've been using UAP (Universal Autopilots) to enlarge my orbital mechanic capabilities, I was browsing through the forums when I found this gem, still alive and well, I was shocked, I pmed TMac about it and why I left, and he did reply, and I was happy with his reply, I started reading through all the pages (I did it all on Sunday, believe it or not.) it took me about 6 hours to get up to speed, and when I read about your SSBB Attachment problems, I remembered my old Orbiter install, I had a friend from the IMS Project (I was a beta tester for it) make an edited config file for the SSBB modules to attach into the XR5's bay, if I can find it, I'll forward it to you, in the mean time, have you tried Universal Cargo Deck? Its quite a nice tool to attach anything to anything else, I used it to make a ring of SSBB Hab modules infront of the Arrows spinning Ring :rofl: I laughed so hard when I saw it working hehe, but the same thing can be applied to the XR5 to attach a module to its bay (It can fit three or four habs I think) and then launch it to orbit, and then use the same cargo deck to attach them anywhere you like on the Discovery or the Odyssey, quite a handy too for any space en-devour.

Cheers,
Lydia.

Last edited:

Lydia

Cynder Fan
Reaction score
yeh, I've noticed the founding of RT Inc, the planning for a Lunar station or something similar, and Deep Six, which really took my interest :p

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, but you need to remember to update the file in DropBox as well, so the rest of the team can access it, and so that it stays in one place;)

For you to be able to do that, I need an email address from you, so I can invite you into the folder.

Nice job on the Mercury base:) For some reason, Orulex has turned the Grunwald area into a crater:( When I was there, it was just a narrow valley between two big crater walls--hence the name Grunwald Pass. What say you about scheduling an EVA to relocate the site?

Actually, I was hoping that me & Solarliner could simply handle the Iron Hill stuff in attachments on this thread? If any more of our team decide to get back on board, we can move to dropbox, but the security program on this computer doesn't get along well with a lot of sites like dropbox, and it would be easier to stick to the old method in this thread for the time being.

yeh, I've noticed the founding of RT Inc, the planning for a Lunar station or something similar, and Deep Six, which really took my interest :p

Yes, and I suspect you may have missed the IMS release, one of the greatest Orbiter add-ons ever created, if a little tricky to learn.

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=28837

So anyways, a few hours of hard work finally paid off for me, here is the Iron_Hill Base.

View attachment Iron_Hill Base.zip

It has UMMU breathable areas, the new expansion at the North side of the base, and it will never repack itself (guaranteed!!!)

I also included a file that should fix your terrain Tmac, please let me know if it fixes things on your end.

Some artistic license was taken in pulling things together, although the only new modules are 4 base modules and a control one. (for the open space expansion) I'm sure we must have at least that many inflatables available right now, but even if not, the Arrow freighter is a big ship ;)

Andddd, here's the new layout plan for the base

The only modules not ported over to the new config file base were the two one branching off the access tunnel. Theyre giving me headaches by somehow painting their textures over onto the access tunnel walls :beathead:

So anyways, please enjoy. This should ease some of the AFCmode frustrations by getting a fair number into a base file, and it will allow for some other nice things in the future. I eventually forsee Tmac releasing it on Orbithangar to great applause.

:hailprobe:

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Well done, Bruce:thumbup:
That module to the north of the lab is still the wardroom, right? If so, you might need to move some tables around...
I'm sure we must have at least that many inflatables available right now
Keep in mind that some of those modules are your food and water for the trip home;)
I eventually forsee Tmac releasing it on Orbithangar to great applause.
Holy smokes, will I ever!:hail: I haven't tried it yet as of this post, but I intend to in less than 24 hours. You guys keep up the good work:thumbup:

Lydia

Cynder Fan
Reaction score
Actually, I was hoping that me & Solarliner could simply handle the Iron Hill stuff in attachments on this thread? If any more of our team decide to get back on board, we can move to dropbox, but the security program on this computer doesn't get along well with a lot of sites like dropbox, and it would be easier to stick to the old method in this thread for the time being.

Yes, and I suspect you may have missed the IMS release, one of the greatest Orbiter add-ons ever created, if a little tricky to learn.

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=28837

So anyways, a few hours of hard work finally paid off for me, here is the Iron_Hill Base.

View attachment 11709

It has UMMU breathable areas, the new expansion at the North side of the base, and it will never repack itself (guaranteed!!!)

I also included a file that should fix your terrain Tmac, please let me know if it fixes things on your end.

Some artistic license was taken in pulling things together, although the only new modules are 4 base modules and a control one. (for the open space expansion) I'm sure we must have at least that many inflatables available right now, but even if not, the Arrow freighter is a big ship ;)

Andddd, here's the new layout plan for the base

The only modules not ported over to the new config file base were the two one branching off the access tunnel. Theyre giving me headaches by somehow painting their textures over onto the access tunnel walls :beathead:

So anyways, please enjoy. This should ease some of the AFCmode frustrations by getting a fair number into a base file, and it will allow for some other nice things in the future. I eventually forsee Tmac releasing it on Orbithangar to great applause.

nope, I knew it was released, I was a beta tester for it.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Okay, two days of missing teachers (ah, school trips...) makes me avaliable at any time from the 04/07 to the 04/09. If any EVA is avaliable TMac ...

Also, Lydia, it would be good if you can join us watching the stream. I'll revert to the inline client to show the terrain and then being able to do some geological stuff under TMac's guidelines. It would be good if you can come to Skype or a TeamSpeak/Mumble public server to have a more direct link.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well done, Bruce:thumbup:
That module to the north of the lab is still the wardroom, right? If so, you might need to move some tables around...

Keep in mind that some of those modules are your food and water for the trip home;)

Holy smokes, will I ever!:hail: I haven't tried it yet as of this post, but I intend to in less than 24 hours. You guys keep up the good work:thumbup:

Whoa, whoa, whoa, can you delay releasing it for just a little bit longer? There still are a few other things I would like to do before it goes up on OHM, and I really should ask permission from Dansteph for mangling his UCGO inflatable meshes to create the open area section at the North end.

On the subject of the wardroom, I was thinking that we could simply move all of the crew facilities into the new open area, very natural for a kitchen, lounge, exercise area sort of place. That way the six modules branching off from the core of the base can be used for crew quarters, and we can rearrange everything else in the space we've got left.

Okay, two days of missing teachers (ah, school trips...) makes me avaliable at any time from the 04/07 to the 04/09. If any EVA is avaliable TMac ...

Also, Lydia, it would be good if you can join us watching the stream. I'll revert to the inline client to show the terrain and then being able to do some geological stuff under TMac's guidelines. It would be good if you can come to Skype or a TeamSpeak/Mumble public server to have a more direct link.

Im pretty sure you mean 05/07 - 05/09, right? This is May, last time I checked. As I mentioned before, I would like to extend the opportunity for the first traverse outside the crater to you, detailed in some of the screenshots I posted earlier in this thread.

Also important SolarLiner, please make sure to install the new Iron_Hill surface base that I uploaded earlier. Moving over to a surface base config is really nice for easing the repack issue. :thumbup:

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, we're on May. Side effects of space travel, perhaps :lol:

So, I go on a ride, with the rover, outside the crater ? Seems good to me. I already downloaded the files, what did you thought ? :p

For Dan's case, he is "missing" from the internet's surface, since he isn't connected since few first days of January. A PM at his forum is always good (I can even do it if you have no account over there), but I doubt he will respond (quickly enough). But we can always edit the OHM entry to add the changes ;)

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, we're on May. Side effects of space travel, perhaps :lol:

So, I go on a ride, with the rover, outside the crater ? Seems good to me. I already downloaded the files, what did you thought ? :p

For Dan's case, he is "missing" from the internet's surface, since he isn't connected since few first days of January. A PM at his forum is always good (I can even do it if you have no account over there), but I doubt he will respond (quickly enough). But we can always edit the OHM entry to add the changes ;)

I figure I'll wait for Dan to get back in contact before I start hounding him. I actually did have an account on his site, but it just disappeared on me.

So when will you be doing EVA-B2?

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Your return window is June 9. Just wanted to let you know;)

It is isn't it? That doesnt leave us much time for our traverses, so I think I'll do the first one tonight, dunno what happened with Solarliner :shrug:

The first travers will just be a quick hop over the crater wall, scurry around for a bit, then back in through the pass. I'll have the playback posted with screenies sometime soon. :thumbup: